Panama Canal Help

JetCruister

Does anyone know what time we will hit the Miraflores Locks? We are cruising from the Atlantic to the Pacific. We enter Gatun Locks around 6am on April 3. I know it can take anywhere from 8-10 hours, but was looking for a time frame. Any help would be appreciated! Also, how far is the Centennial bridge to the Pedro Miguel and Miraflores locks?

All depends on traffic in the Canal. Could be anywhere from 4pm to 7pm. Done 3 Caribbean to Pacific transits, started between 6 and 7am each time. Into the Pacific as early as 4, and as late as 7:30.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Does anyone know what time we will hit the Miraflores Locks? We are cruising from the Atlantic to the Pacific. We enter Gatun Locks around 6am on April 3. I know it can take anywhere from 8-10 hours, but was looking for a time frame. Any help would be appreciated! Also, how far is the Centennial bridge to the Pedro Miguel and Miraflores locks?

If we are just talking about time frame, you could look somewhere around 2-4PM as a time frame. That of course is just to give you a mark on the wall and that guess is very fluid, many things could influence that estimate. It is a little easier to make that prediction after you clear Gatun Locks. Once you clear Gatun it should take about 5.5- 6 hours to get to Miraflores.

Centennial Bridge to Pedro Miguel Locks is a little more than a mile. Just remember these are just estimates and who knows what may influence your transit. I'll enclose a link to an earlier post on this thread about an unusually long transit for the Island Princess. Never did find out what the problem was.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2173896

Oh by the way... hitting the locks... really not a good metaphor to use when speaking of ships maneuvering around concrete structures! Steel and concrete don't mix well! Just kidding;):D!!

If we are just talking about time frame, you could look somewhere around 2-4PM as a time frame. That of course is just to give you a mark on the wall and that guess is very fluid, many things could influence that estimate. It is a little easier to make that prediction after you clear Gatun Locks. Once you clear Gatun it should take about 5.5- 6 hours to get to Miraflores.

Centennial Bridge to Pedro Miguel Locks is a little more than a mile. Just remember these are just estimates and who knows what may influence your transit. I'll enclose a link to an earlier post on this thread about an unusually long transit for the Island Princess. Never did find out what the problem was.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2173896

Oh by the way... hitting the locks... really not a good metaphor to use when speaking of ships maneuvering around concrete structures! Steel and concrete don't mix well! Just kidding;):D!!

Thanks!! And yes, using the word "hit" was probably not the best choice!! :D

Too funny, Bill. Hey, jetcruiser. Read the book, "Path between the Seas", if you haven't. If you like history and engineering (I think I see an FD patch-I did in my YOUNGER years) you'll appreciate the canal transit even more. I found the transit amazing. Most folks don't know that the canal and locks are filled by a "man-made" lake (Oh - "artificial", gotta be PC). Google Panama Canal Cams for real time video. Our Panama Canal cruise is near the top of our list. As for the Centennial Bridge and Culebra Cut, get as high up and forward for the best pics. I could look at my photo time stamps, but Bill is right, it depends on the traffic. Heck, we had a Canadian Sub pass us while in the canal. Now that was cool. CHEERS!