Document Question

Silleestarfish

I am hoping that someone can answer this question because I have received several different and contradictory answers from different carnival employees and cannot find anything specific and clear cut on their website.

we're embarking on our 2nd cruise on the inspiration April 6th for 4 days to Catalina and Mexico. It will be myself, my 14-year-old son, my husband and our daughter together. The first cruise we took which was also to Mexico, I was instructed to have a notarized statement provided by my son's father that gave me permission to take him on the cruise and out of the country. During our check in at the port and throughout the entirety of the cruise, we were never asked for that document.

for this cruise, I did some of my own research and some general cruising sites not specific to Carnival have said these documents are necessary. Carnival's website does not. I have called several different carnival staff members and can't get the same answer twice from anyone.

it's not a problem to get the statement, however, it does cost around $25 to have it motorized which I would rather not spend if I don't have to. Does anybody have clarification on this issue?

thanks so much!

Not sure what the official word is on having it but I took one with me when I took my gran daughter and was never asked for it. We are going again April 9 and we are taking the letter to make sure we don't have an issue.

I know I called DCL and was talking to them about a cruise and the lady on the phone told me I would have to print off their permission form to take our gran daughter with out the parents going. I sure would rather have that pice of paper than to get to the port and they deny boarding because you don't have it.

Nota

Edited by notawordok

I am hoping that someone can answer this question because I have received several different and contradictory answers from different carnival employees and cannot find anything specific and clear cut on their website.

we're embarking on our 2nd cruise on the inspiration April 6th for 4 days to Catalina and Mexico. It will be myself, my 14-year-old son, my husband and our daughter together. The first cruise we took which was also to Mexico, I was instructed to have a notarized statement provided by my son's father that gave me permission to take him on the cruise and out of the country. During our check in at the port and throughout the entirety of the cruise, we were never asked for that document.

for this cruise, I did some of my own research and some general cruising sites not specific to Carnival have said these documents are necessary. Carnival's website does not. I have called several different carnival staff members and can't get the same answer twice from anyone.

it's not a problem to get the statement, however, it does cost around $25 to have it motorized which I would rather not spend if I don't have to. Does anybody have clarification on this issue?

thanks so much!

$25???? That's expensive. I get notary here in NYC for as little as $5!

You are getting conflicting answers because this is not a cruise line thing. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-orthanks so much!

It is a recommendation by US Custom and Immigration.

Look into places that will notarize for free. Our local library does and our bank will as long as one party has an account there.

Just because they didn't ask last time doesn't mean they won't next time. They do not have to let you on the ship without it. If he has a different last name it is a red flag that there may be a custodial issue involved. They just want to thwart someone from trying to kidnap a kid from their biological parent.

Even if you can't find a free notary, I think $25 is a very cheap insurance policy to assure you have no problems taking your cruise.

Carnival has no rules mandating a letter from the non traveling parent. They are in the business of selling cruises, not mediating family issues. And the bit about it being required for debarking in Mexico only applies if the cruise is ending there. As a single father I have taken my daughters numerous times with zero questions from Carnival and customs.

I've taken my son on 10 cruises and I think about 8 of them went to Mexico. I have never been asked for a notarized letter from his father (I'm a single parent). I had a notarized permission form for 2 cruises and was never asked for it. I don't bother with it anymore and his father is not a big part of his life anyways, so it would be a hassle to get it every time we cruise. Never had a problem or been questioned in customs. My son has a passport and has my last name. Just my experience as recent as earlier this month (Oasis cruise stopped in Cozumel).

Thanks everyone for your input. As I said before, the first and only cruise we've been on, I had the notarized statement and was never asked for it. My son is now 14 and we do share the same last name. Just to be safe though, I wrote up the statement and emailed to my sons dad who lives in a different state. He said it was $10 through his bank so I said fine - I'm sure I won't need it, but at least I'm not worrying about it anymore!