"Must see" in Istanbul?

With limited time post cruise, what are the most important things to see? Can they all be DIY or are we better off with a guide?

In my 24 hours there I did this. Easy enough to do by yourself if you don't want a guide. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]if0ohSTZorQ[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]9KAZZh8GPRo[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]o3J7NtagxkU[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]omZsa5wW0UI[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]fQwXt6a9ceM[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Cornishpastyman1

You do not need a guide and if someone approaches you on the street to help it will be a carpet salesman.

Here is what we did in an afternoon and a morning: Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, cisterns, Grand Bazaar, spice market, walk across the Galata Bridge, Topkapi (treasury and harem.)

Check out tomsportguides and/or Rick Steves' guidebooks.

With limited time post cruise, what are the most important things to see? Can they all be DIY or are we better off with a guide?

Hi. I am posting a bunch of stuff in my 'Back From Istanbul' thread of April 2015. In short, however, I would say Blue Mosque, Walking over iconic Galata Bridge, vast Ayasofya/Topkapi palaces & museums, Ferry Ride across Bosphorus to Asia side for breathtaking views of all the above, Wandering the Souks, Spice Market and Grand Bazaar of Cagaloglu area. Evening rooftop meal from a terrace overlooking the Bosphorus Straits.

It all depends on how well one can walk, however, as Istanbul is crowded narrow streets. Locomotiveman Tom

It can be overwhelming but familiarize yourself with the tram (Rick Steves shows pix of how to get the tickets, etc. They are super frequent and easy.) I would not miss the Blue Mosque and wandering around the Spice Market and the grand bazaar. And the Hagia Sophia which is very close to the Blue Mosque. Some of the pavements are very, very uneven so be careful. And be aware that the Mosques close 1/2 hour before prayer times.