Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

Introducing my new NCL service:

- In each roll call I'll post my Haven suite number. Should you require room service, I will deliver food to you for a $4 cash payment. You just have to wait as long as it takes for the butler to deliver it to me.

This type of test should have been done via survey, not implemented... I'd be ANNOYED if I were on BA this week. I don't use RS either, but know that many people do. I suspect the presence of a charge is to try and cut back on people who abuse the service...ordering multiple times daily, and then leaving the nearly unconsumed food out in the hallway where it has to be picked-up again.

[quote name='old sole']
Don't dare try to find wiggle room for NCL on this one. What they re doing is simply indefensible.[/QUOTE]

Kind of like McPizza. Indefensible.

[quote name='timetaffy89']I called Ncl and even though we all know they are notorious for having the wrong answers, they did inform me that the charge also applies for suites!! That is so ridiculous![/QUOTE]

It doesn't. Suites don't order from RS, they have a butler who takes care of their in-suite food requirements. And they're not limited to the old OR the new enhanced menus, they can order anything on the ship.

Stephen

[quote name='sundercruiser']Not sure who directed at, but just in case you were referring to my post, there's this (among numerous other pages on the topic):

[URL]http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/complementary.html[/URL][/QUOTE]
Looks you're spelling it the British way, while everyone else including NCL is spelling the American way. Did that occurred to you? It happens. *shrug*

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

First NCL in a few weeks. I'm kind of getting scared as the price just keeps going up. I am already afraid of being nickel & dimed prior to all these new charges. I'm first a Disney cruiser and they have hardly ANY charges, RCL made me feel like I was being nickel and dimed but now this from NCL? Too late to get my money and I'm sure I'll still have a nice time but probably won't be buying a future cruise certificate because who knows what is next! I did post on their Facebook page AND emailed [email]socialmedia@ncl.com[/email] to voice my concern.

They can try it, but this certainly takes the "free" out of freestyle!

[quote name='njhorseman']No "full board" only requires them to provide breakfast, lunch and dinner. It doesn't in any way require NCL to provide complimentary room service, nor any particular method of offering full board.[/QUOTE]
Sadly, that's true... just because they offer free food doesn't mean they have to deliver to one free.....

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

everyone onboard both ships should order 10 BLT'S at 10 pm and anything else you want for the next 2 nights.Then tell the stewart to empty your fridge so you can stock it
..maybe they will get the hint...and run out of bacon!! Edited by yoboy08753

Hi all,
This is true. I called NCL. Explained how they have not let us know this in advance of our final payment and they shouldn't expect us to pay for something that is advertised as free. Their response: They are not offering credit of any sort and we just have to live with it. It may be unfair, but it is what it is. I spoke to a supervisor Myles. Sadly, if they believe false advertising is ok, this is not a company I will be doing business with after my Breakaway cruise on April 26, no matter how wonderful it is. There are plenty of other options and we were previously Haven passengers. It may only be $50, but the premise of it is absolutely unacceptable to me. I would get it if they told us up front...no issue. As I explained to the supervisor....how would he like it if his family sat down to a restaurant, was told the bread was complimentary, and was only told after they began eating it (i.e. final payment) it and could no longer leave that it was not. NCL - way to wreck our good feelings from the start. Sorry for the rant, but I'm embarrassed for NCL and they've always been our favorite. Sad!

[quote name='klannin']Correct, its for everyone but Haven, all other Suites and cabins.[/QUOTE]

I believe all suites (not minis) on Getaway & Breakaway (Escape?) are considered "Haven" regardless of physical loction since they have access to The Haven.

Where was the post that the new room service charge does not apply to Haven (suites) ?

Are NCL legally allowed to state that room service is free, at the time people book, then change their minds after we have paid?

I would have thought that was false advertising, at best :confused:

For a moment I thought I'd got a time machine forward to April first and someone was going to shout 'April fool'

We board in less than a week and we like the odd breakfast on the balcony. So I will go in the buffet in my sweaty gym stuff smelling of a good workout and carry the stuff down to the cabin myself so my husband gets his coffee

Very hygienic I know but it's not worth the extra money

Note to packing list, take thermos cup

As distasteful as this change may be, I wouldn't get too hard on the NCL staff over the phone. It was never their decision to do this and they are given absolutely no leeway to maneuver. Man, I would hate to be in their shoes to get yelled at right now.

[quote name='debsjc']Are NCL legally allowed to state that room service is free, at the time people book, then change their minds after we have paid?

I would have thought that was false advertising, at best :confused:[/quote]

Trading Standards are your 'port of call' on this one (pun intended). However, I will bet a pound to a PoS they will duck the issue trying to claim 'jurisdictional issues':rolleyes:.

[URL]http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/1277/regulation/6/made[/URL]

Still showing as complimentary on the UK web-site (I have screen grabbed it with the date showing as evidence) - naughty NCL. Edited by SteveH2508

[quote name='maywell']Looks you're spelling it the British way, while everyone else including NCL is spelling the American way. Did that occurred to you? It happens. *shrug*

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk[/quote]

The Google is your friend. Try looking up "complimentary vs. complementary." I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for.

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsOf0TZPPWY[/URL]

[quote name='debsjc']Are NCL legally allowed to state that room service is free, at the time people book, then change their minds after we have paid?

I would have thought that was false advertising, at best :confused:[/quote]

As stated several times, the only terms which are binding are contained in the Guest Ticket Contract

[quote]
The Guest agrees that, except as expressly provided herein, this Contract constitutes the entire agreement between the Guest and Carrier, and [B]shall supersede and exclude any prior representations that may have been made[/B] in relation to the cruise to the Guest or anyone representing him/her by anyone, [B]including [/B]but not limited to [B]anything stated in the Carrier's brochures, advertisements, and other promotional materials[/B], by Norwegian Cruise Line or NCL America employees or by third persons such as travel agents.

[/quote]

Very disappointed in Ncl, as I will be on a cruise in a few.. All these up charges after our final payment. It leaves a bad taste, courtesy would be to have least let us known, not to have found it out on cruise critic.. People may talk bad about carnival, but have never had crummy customer service like that. When there was an issue it was always communicated.. It may be my first and last ncl.

[quote name='nfglory1']I see a side business opportunity! I'll give everyone my cabin phone number on my cruise in May. Call me for room service, I'll go grab it from the buffet, I only charge $5! :D[/QUOTE]

I'll do it for 3 buks.. Need a side job on the ship to pay for all these extra charges I didn't anticipate

So is it per order or per item
If its per order they will need a truck to deliver my order. Take 1 bite out of every thing and call room service for a pick up.
going on our first nCL cruise, the last month has left a nasty taste in our mouth.
Might be 1 and done for us.

[quote name='SteveH2508']Trading Standards are your 'port of call' on this one (pun intended). However, I will bet a pound to a PoS they will duck the issue trying to claim 'jurisdictional issues':rolleyes:.

[URL]http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/1277/regulation/6/made[/URL]

Still showing as complimentary on the UK web-site (I have screen grabbed it with the date showing as evidence) - naughty NCL.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I'll do the same, I think UK trading standards might protect us a little better this side of the Atlantic!

I feel like cruising and cruiselines have the same cycle as when I hear people talk about television providers.

Man, I've been with (insert television provider 1 here) for three years. They just raised my rates, added an extra cost for channels that were originally included and even took away some channels that I originally had. I'm switching and never going back.

Three years later, I'm such a loyal customer with (insert television provider 2 here), they just raised my rates and added extra costs for this and that. Look at this fantastic deal from (insert television provider 1 here...again). I'm switching to them and never going back.

Haha, That's my take on it. That's why I usually don't stay loyal to one particular cruiseline, I go for the best value that suits my needs at the time. I'm not an NCL homer, they just happen to have the best deals at the time of booking for my last few.

[quote name='triptolemus']As stated several times, the only terms which are binding are contained in the Guest Ticket Contract[/quote]

Maybe in the US, but on this side of the pond they are clearly in breach of the The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008, Reg. 6 which carries a criminal penalty.

NCL (UK) Ltd. potentially have a problem.

I just took a look at all the posts on NCLs "social media" page. Wow! Lots and lots of negative posts and now NCLs only response is to email them. They won't even publicly answer regarding the new RS fees anymore. Absolutely a cowardly response. I've always chosen NCL over other lines, but since the FDR takeover, I'm certainly thinking twice.

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]As someone who has always rolled their eyes at the nickel and dime comments but never posted in response I gotta say, this does seem sh**y.

Lot of small upcharges being added very quickly and $7.95?? Really?? I understood the late night RS surcharge, but this is ridic. DSC rise, specialty grat added and now this?

On the other hand we do have 4 upcoming reservations with the Freestyle Choice promo, 2 with UBP and 2 with all 4 (UBP, UDP OBC and DSC). Our last 2 cruises we paid out of pocket for the UBP and the DSC so this is real money not coming out of our pocket. I will just not use room service or eat in specialties other than our 2 Plat dinners.

Do they realize people already felt nickel and dimed before all of this. The $.95/$2.95 increase we were fine with initially, now that is rubbing us wrong too. They are piling on. Waiting to see what next weeks increase will be. [/COLOR][/SIZE]