Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

Right. Not a big fan of a new fee just because they can charge it for something that used to be free.

While I agree with your point, that the room service fee adds no value, couldn't the same be said for any fare increase that does not include any new material or service?

The airlines added a checked bag fee, that didn't add any value. However, the fee was added after being publicized. No one booked airfare and then discovered at the check in counter that they owed even more if they had luggage that had to be checked.

Certainly NCL has the right to increase its fare or add a new fee. Had NCL done this the same way airlines did (meaning anyone who booked after a certain date would pay the new fee), would you feel the same way?

Or, suppose that NCL simply added $3 per day per person to EVERYONE'S fare and made ALL the passengers subsidize the cost of providing room service, even if someone did not use room service. Of course if the fee is added to the fare, no one will know. NCL will not publicize how much of the fare goes to the cost of the ship, the cost of the food, the cost of the fuel, the cost of staff salaries, the cost of shore side personal salaries ... In this scenario all you would notice is that a seven night cruise has increased in cost by $21. You would not know why. How would you feel about such a fare increase (keep in mind, you would not know the reason for the increase)?

In my mind, the new fee is fine, as long as it is implemented with a fair notice.

And before Maywell chimes in, when you show up at the airport, checked bag in hand, keep in mind that checking a bag is optional (just like room service) and the airline will allow you to fly without checking any bags, just like NCL will allow you to eat without ordering room service.

I know, I thought the same thing.

This post is now 60 something pages long. Can someone reply with a clear photo of the new room service menu (or link to it). I combed through the thread but couldn't find it. I have a feeling I missed it.

Thank you!

You didn't miss it. There isn't one yet.

The same was said about room service, DSC, UDP and increased auto tips - look what happen.

It won't happen. They could eliminate it and roll it into the cruise fare. But what they won't do is make a service charge mandatory. Won't happen. Don't hold your breath

I have a question, everyone keeps complaining that they didn't give advance notice. since cruise ships run year round there will never truly be advance notice because no matter when they announce its somebody's cruise is going to be a couple weeks away.

They can do it the same way airlines added the checked bag fee. Anyone booking after the announced fee pays the fee. Anyone who booked before the announced fee does not pay the fee. It is that simple.

soooooo...when this thread started' date=' the fee was limited to the Breakaway and Getaway, is that still the case? or has it been implemented on all ships?[/quote']

Apparently, based on past actions by NCL, you'll find out when you board the ship.

It won't happen. They could eliminate it and roll it into the cruise fare. But what they won't do is make a service charge mandatory. Won't happen. Don't hold your breath

actually they are mandatory on a few of the cruise lines. Celebrity requires prepayment for anytime dining. They can't however on the NCL America Pride of America as its illegal to do so in Hawaii.

They took out word 'discretionary" from Service Charges on the Contract today - it was there yesterday. They left the word 'discretion' for now. You should had pay attention....

Edited by maywell

I think when more charges will be put in people will think twice before booking a cruise .i am right now becuse our $$$ is not doing well 30% over and above US price adss up quickly,factor in flightshotels pre or post cruise,tips,drinks,visits and spending money plus now fee for specialty restaurant and room service ..you are adding hundreds if not thousands to theoriginal cruise price ....time to rethink that option .....i think all inclusives will reap in former cruise pax.

It has already happened ...

I have been on several other lines and have been loyal to Celebrity in recent years. However, the spa on Norwegian, and specifically, the renderings of the Escape led to my booking a spa balcony for Christmas week.

However, in light of recent "changes" to NCL such as the added gratuity in the specialties and now this "test" of a room service fee, I'm getting annoyed. I'm either going to cancel my cruise and rebook with Celebrity or I'm just going to wait until a cheap week opens for the Haven because it sees like on Norwegian, those in the Haven are the only ones spared the nonsense. AM I right or wrong about this with NCL cause honestly, while I have abandoned suites on other lines because I found I had just as much fun in a standard balcony, it appears to me that unless I go Haven, I'm going to get my pockets picked at every turn while onboard and if that's the case, I'd just assume pay the extra---even though I ordinarily wouldn't so it's not a matter of "if I could afford it" cause I really can't.

With all of the packages included with Haven, is that the way to go or will they still annoy me with small fees here, there and everywhere? Any insight or experienced opinions are appreciated because this Xmas cruise is not cheap with airfare etc. Thanks

Here is a link to the thread (I've only quoted the first post of that thread) ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2191129

They took out word 'discretionary" from Service Charges on the Contract today - it was there yesterday. They left the word 'discretion' for now. You should had pay attention....

Not nice. This completely goes against NCL's previous contentions that the Service Charge was essentially a tip that could be give as one wishes, for excellent service.

Let's be honest, okay NCL? If you're going to have us paying the wages of your servers then let's be above board about it. Just roll the charge into the cost of the cruise and do away with the Service Charge all together. This hiding behind 'you can pay me now or you can pay me later' is irritating, to say the very least.

They are charging for attention now too? :eek:

I talked to my cruise consult yesterday and she said if enough people complain to Ncl directly then she could definitely see it being eliminated but she said complaining on cruise critic isn't going to change anything. So I'm just wondering have any of the people on here who are so against the room service charge actually called or emailed Ncl? If you mentioned you had I must have missed it. I say calling is better because you're getting an immediate answer from a real person. even though I still don't see why its a big deal. honestly if it was per item I would be right there with you complaining but per order still is a good deal .

Does anyone know how many people actually use room service? I would assume that many people use it just to have coffee in the morning but how many people actually order breakfast, lunch and/or dinner from the room service menu? I wonder if NCL wants to charge for the 'enhanced' room service because of staff having to be on duty 24 hrs to deliver the room service trays. So maybe NCL feels that if they offer more on the RS menu, that would justify the (what I consider minimal) charge. With people threatening to cancel cruises or talking about suing for breach of contract, just how many people are being affected? Does anyone know what the count for room service is on a typical 7 day cruise?

Uniall,

Thank you very much for all your comments. I sincerely appreciate your insights, as you express what I'm thinking, but in a much better way.

I'm glad you are posting. It helps.

:)

Kmcspoon

Kmsspoon

Thank you for your kind thoughts, they are most appreciated.

John

yeea first review in from getaway last week!

$4.95 plus 18% gratuity...on room service ....say it ain't sooo!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::eek:

siiigh

no one here even counted on the 18% on top!

dayum! dayum!

#speechless

Edited by tiffygirl

It has already happened ...

Here is a link to the thread (I've only quoted the first post of that thread) ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2191129

Couldn't agree more. I LOVE NCL and its by far my favorite line. That said, with all the recent changes, the huge fares there requesting, and the apparent elimination of offering an interline rate to airline employees, I had no choice but to go back to Carnival. When we booked the other night the Getaway was well over $1,000.00pp more than the Carnival cruise we booked. I truly miss Kevin Sheehan and with most companies when there is a change in leadership the customer hardly notices any changes...not the case here :(

yeea first review in from getaway last week!

$4.95 plus 18% gratuity...on room service ....say it ain't sooo!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::eek:

siiigh

no one here even counted on the 18% on top!

dayum! dayum!

#speechless

That's $5.84 on Getaway and $9.38 on the Breakaway - I'm heading to the buffet at all times if its the Breakaway price, hacking a lung or not.....

I know, I thought the same thing.

This post is now 60 something pages long. Can someone reply with a clear photo of the new room service menu (or link to it). I combed through the thread but couldn't find it. I have a feeling I missed it.

Thank you!

Someone posted it a few days ago, and I was waiting to see if they'd repost it for you. Here is the version my DH has from the webinar he attended. It's really small, and I don't know if it's of any help at all, but I'll give it a go and upload it! Of course, it's large and legible on my screen, but not sure how it will display here. :confused: I think you really need to blow it up to be able to see it in this format.

183218461_NCLEnhancedMenu.jpg.7a8394af8d612e0e788ddcefdcfcd5bb.jpg

Edited by TravlGrl

I talked to my cruise consult yesterday and she said if enough people complain to Ncl directly then she could definitely see it being eliminated but she said complaining on cruise critic isn't going to change anything. So I'm just wondering have any of the people on here who are so against the room service charge actually called or emailed Ncl? If you mentioned you had I must have missed it. I say calling is better because you're getting an immediate answer from a real person. even though I still don't see why its a big deal. honestly if it was per item I would be right there with you complaining but per order still is a good deal .
I doubt many have called. When there was all the uproar over the 18 percent gratuity on the specialty restaurants, when I called NCL, they said they hadn't gotten any calls. I think it is easier for people to complain on here, instead of actually calling the company, which would have more impact.

I doubt many have called. When there was all the uproar over the 18 percent gratuity on the specialty restaurants, when I called NCL, they said they hadn't gotten any calls. I think it is easier for people to complain on here, instead of actually calling the company, which would have more impact.

Dont be fooled. This site can have an impact. That is why NCL can and does post here. This is the largest cruise community site in the world. They know the power of Cruise Critic.

Dont be fooled. This site can have an impact. That is why NCL can and does post here. This is the largest cruise community site in the world. They know the power of Cruise Critic.
Where did I say that this site doesn't have any impact. I said that phoning the company would have more impact.

BTW, on another cruise line I cruise with had some changes and there were so many pages complaining on here and guess what, the changes are still here today.

Edited by NLH Arizona

That's $5.84 on Getaway and $9.38 on the Breakaway - I'm heading to the buffet at all times if its the Breakaway price, hacking a lung or not.....

the thing thats sad is the ship did not take it off anyone's bill . now unless i missed the fine print, i didnt see the part about gratuity being added in addition!

can you image the hundreds of people who ordered coffee and got hit with a bill of $9.38, no warning on the breakaway??:mad::eek:

NCL is really going to take an even PR hit on this one. SMDH

the thing thats sad is the ship did not take it off anyone's bill . now unless i missed the fine print, i didnt see the part about gratuity being added in addition!

Were there other reviews, that said they wouldn't take it off? I did just ask the poster who did a review if they asked for it to be taken off.

Here is the response from the poster who did the review when asked if they asked for the charge to be taken off: They brought the receipt for me to sign with the food. I rejected the food and told them nevermind I don't want it if I'm going to be charged. They couldn't explain the charge to me and very soon thereafter I saw my room steward who was surprised as well. He asked came back and showed me on the bottom on the room service menu in very small font there is now an asterisk that says $4.95 + 18% gratuity

Edited by NLH Arizona

Where did I say that this site doesn't have any impact. I said that phoning the company would have more impact.

BTW, on another cruise line I cruise with had some changes and there were so many pages complaining on here and guess what, the changes are still here today.

The only thing NCL has done was change the wording on the website and contract now - If people were really serious about not booking like they claim, it would be a different story regarding fees. Because complaining here, truly solves nothing for passengers but gives plenty of good ideas for NCL to get away with murder....

Spoke to two managers who agreed that it was very unfair as we purchased something that was included and now without any notification it is not. They said they were instructed to not make any concessions or exceptions by corporate and they "understood" if we never sailed ncl again. This was their room service manager.

Were there other reviews, that said they wouldn't take it off? I did just ask the poster who did a review if they asked for it to be taken off.

Here is the response from the poster who did the review when asked if they asked for the charge to be taken off: They brought the receipt for me to sign with the food. I rejected the food and told them nevermind I don't want it if I'm going to be charged. They couldn't explain the charge to me and very soon thereafter I saw my room steward who was surprised as well. He asked came back and showed me on the bottom on the room service menu in very small font there is now an asterisk that says $4.95 + 18% gratuity

this is from the OP on the ship as well! he tried to address it. no go!

another reason why "we" were upset because they were not issuing a refund!!!

Edited by tiffygirl

Well, in case NCL is wondering... I'm currently watching for cruises at the end of February 2016. The friends I cruise with really REALLY like the whole "free room service" thing. I haven't yet told them about this change but they're not going to be happy.

They tend towards seasickness, and when they're feeling poorly they really love to order snacks like fruit or potato chips delivered to the room. Paying for each delivery will take much of the "fun" out of it.

I can't tell you that this will be a dealbreaker, but it's the kind of thing that hits hard. It feels like NCL is charging for something that used to be included.