Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

Lobster was deleted under Mr. Sheehan's regime and, guess what, he didn't reduce the fares to compensate for this, after all you know darn well that they are saving money by not serving it in the MDR any longer. There were complaints from those customers he cared about, but don't think that changed his mind or maybe I just missed that he reinstated it.

They did not advertise I would have free lobster in my FARE!!!!!!!!! So therefore your point is not making sense!!!

If lobster was ever advertise in the price of your cruise please let me know when...???? I have never seen that. SMDH

Edited by tiffygirl

Lobster was deleted under Mr. Sheehan's regime and, guess what, he didn't reduce the fares to compensate for this, after all you know darn well that they are saving money by not serving it in the MDR any longer. There were complaints from those customers he cared about, but don't think that changed his mind or maybe I just missed that he reinstated it.

I must have missed this. Lobster tails have been offered in the main dining room as part of a surf and turf on all recent cruises. I've observed some diners eating two or three at one sitting.

because NCL said my fare includes Room Service. They never said my fare included specaility resturants.

huge difference

like buying (another disney example) a park hopper ticket i paid for 6 months ago for $450 base ticket includes Magic Kingdom , Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios and Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

Then i show up at animal kingdom on my vacation. and they say oh sorry we are charging you $50 convience fee to enter, but we have expanded the park to included the new antartica so you can see the polar bears. Its a test, Florida location is $50 and California location is $35 and we rolled it out yesterday.

So I paid for it in my base ticket fare as advertise, now you saying if i want to enter this park i got to pay an additional $50. Oh but you say I can go to the other parks because they are still "free"....

what is the difference from what ncl did and my example....? Same concept.

would you not feel some kind of way about that? IJS

I still like my example:

I pay for and order a specific car. I'm told it will take 30 days for it to arrive at the dealers. I go to pick up my car and there are no tires on the car. I now have to pay a fee for the tires. However, when I ordered and paid for the car the tires were included.

This example can be said in regard to:

1. Room service fees for what used to be included (not anything new on the menu - which now means we have to pay a service charge for soup, sandwiches, kids platters, etc.)

2. Dinner entertainment shows that were included at one time for the first evening when the UDP was purchased.

3. Cagneys - which I believe is going to be removed from the UDP but was included to many who purchased that.

4. 18% gratuity fees which was not in effect when some booked and paid for their cruises and didn't purchase the UDP but only expected to pay the fee for the specialty restaurants.

Some may say you don't need to order room service, go to dinner entertainment shows or the specialty restaurants. True.

You can also have a brand new car sitting in your driveway or garage without tires.

Harriet

Confirmed, where?

There have been a lots of "facts" stated here that have not been confirmed.

Confirmed by the people sailing on the ship. Even on this thread. Seperate accounts.

Its up to you if you want to believe what the folks currently on the cruise line are experience or not.

I agree somewhat

But my only problem is: NCL is not like a Walt Disney World for example Disney, They have customer loyalty like no other.

And situations like this with other cruise lines make DCL look even better. After all, not only is room service included, but so are non-alcoholic beverages and all entertainment - including first run movies from time to time... oh, and Disney characters... and... I'm sure you all get my drift. ;)

Edited by Wendy&Grumpy

because NCL said my fare includes Room Service. They never said my fare included specaility resturants.

huge difference

like buying (another disney example) a park hopper ticket i paid for 6 months ago for $450 base ticket includes Magic Kingdom , Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios and Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

Then i show up at animal kingdom on my vacation. and they say oh sorry we are charging you $50 convience fee to enter, but we have expanded the park to included the new antartica so you can see the polar bears. Its a test, Florida location is $50 and California location is $35 and we rolled it out yesterday.

So I paid for it in my base ticket fare as advertise, now you saying if i want to enter this park i got to pay an additional $50. Oh but you say I can go to the other parks because they are still "free"....

what is the difference from what ncl did and my example....? Same concept.

would you not feel some kind of way about that? IJS

Wrong... NCL owes you a cabin (room) and meals (board), they never really promise what was the method of getting those meals/board in the contract- room service happens to be one of those methods, so is the MDR, buffet and specialty dining. Yeah, the FAQ may state it but its the actual cruise contract is how NCL pulled this - none of those methods are in there for the US version. Gotta read that contract carefully and realize how they (plus other cruise lines) get away with almost murder.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

And situations like this with other cruise lines make DCL look even better. After all, not only is room service included, but so are non-alcoholic beverages and all entertainment - including first run movies from time to time... oh, and Disney characters... and... I'm sure you all get my drift. ;)

I always thought that some of the "characters" I've observed were right out of Disney. Are you sure the women I observed sitting in the Atrium at 2 AM in their nightgowns were not part of a Disney Fantasy Cruise?

My point stands, you didn't cancel anything, so NCL has not felt any impact on those that said they were cancelling their cruises.

Time will tell, if your other two examples will have any negative impact on NCL. I have my doubts, but I'm sure you think differently.

I cancelled my 2016 cruise.

I was going to give them a try and booked the weekend before all this nonsense came out. I normally cruise Carnival and Disney but wanted to give NCL's newer boats a try. I live in South Florida so I cruise often. They lost my business. It's naive to think NCL won't lose old customers OR new customers over this PR disaster.

I agree somewhat

But my only problem is: NCL is not like a Walt Disney World for example Disney, They have customer loyalty like no other. They have been selling dream for many generations. There is only ONE magic kingdom. So they can charge $100 for a park ticket (1) and the people will pay. They have outrages pricing, crowds and lines galor. As well as Over price merchandise, ect. but it doesn't matter. They rake in Millions a year in spite of that. People know you are going to pay for the Mickey experience. They have built that solid brand so they aren't worried about if they over charges or not The know they have the monoply on Mickey Mouse. Peoples dreams come true at Disney for young and old. So its understandable if they pull a move like this. they know there customer will pay at any price if they want the Disney experience. Its unique. No other place in the world offers it.

But cruising is a different ball game. too much competition. Too many cruise lines close in amentities and prices that he would have to have a stand out product to take that arrogant attitude. IMHO This and other decisions he has made, is taking huge risk that the customers are just stupid and can't see the forest for the trees.

*i think* They rolled it out on a whim, but they rolled the dice to see if they can get away with it. It was ballzy (sp).I say that because it all happend AFTER Sheehan left. So you can't tell me it has never been on the table before. More than likely Sheehan didn't want to do it because of the type of man he was. He cared about his customers. Now that Sheehan is out, its open season....

Im just saying Its a very bold move.

strickly my opinion.

You are correct, Disney is the only place(Florida,Cali or other wold sites) that can offer you the Mouse Ears. However cruising is like any other industry that has competition.

You can compare cruise lines to the auto industry. They all make cars,they all offer sales yet they all stay in business. Why? Because they tweak their products based on market research and adjust accordingly.

If car company X offers a free GPS and car company Y makes the customer pay for it, car company Y still sells cars. Car company X does as well. NCL is merely doing this market research in a "live" setting after coming to the conclusion that any collateral damage of passenger loss is acceptable to them in the long-term and short-term.

Again they are betting on the losses being mitigated by new passengers or as NLH has said "customers being all talk and no action" in my opinion the latter is going to prevail with most cruisers booked or not because I find it hard to believe that millions of cruisers in their customers base are going to see this policy as a "deal breaker,this is a bunch of crap" move.

Happy Sailings,

TheCapt

I still like my example:

I pay for and order a specific car. I'm told it will take 30 days for it to arrive at the dealers. I go to pick up my car and there are no tires on the car. I now have to pay a fee for the tires. However, when I ordered and paid for the car the tires were included.

This example can be said in regard to:

1. Room service fees for what used to be included (not anything new on the menu - which now means we have to pay a service charge for soup, sandwiches, kids platters, etc.)

2. Dinner entertainment shows that were included at one time for the first evening when the UDP was purchased.

3. Cagneys - which I believe is going to be removed from the UDP but was included to many who purchased that.

4. 18% gratuity fees which was not in effect when some booked and paid for their cruises and didn't purchase the UDP but only expected to pay the fee for the specialty restaurants.

Some may say you don't need to order room service, go to dinner entertainment shows or the specialty restaurants. True.

You can also have a brand new car sitting in your driveway or garage without tires.

Harriet

Harriet,

I completely understand. I think at the end of the day if people want to pay it, its their right as a consumer.

If doesn't matter to some, and that is fine. Im not hear to change anyones mind because i have no rights or access to their wallet.

I want to let the company know my feelings.

Its just not right to me. I don't think any company big or small has the right to change the terms and conditons AFTER a product or service has been purchased. BUT that is just my own personable belief system.

But apparantly i have to accept it and get over it. :):o

Hopefully this will die down soon and everyone can get back to feeling HAPPY about their cruises. NCL does have great onboard staff, I have so much fun on all my NCL cruises. Ive met the BEST passngers on board. Great entertainment too. I just have to somehow separate the 2 in my head. the On board staff doesn't make the rules just have to follow them.

In other words, you did not cancel any cruises.

My reasoning for pointing out the Celebrity cruises, just like those on here, they posted that they were cancelling all their cruises, but in the end they really didn't and I would bet that the cruise lines (just like NCL), felt that they were just talking the talk and would never make that walk.

Never said I would cancel, I couldn't anyway without losing a pile, since I was within the penalty phase.

What I DID say was that I'd figure out what NCL owes me for their breach of contract and use my discretion to adjust my DSC accordingly.

That will be happening shortly. While the "smartest guys in the room" who run NCL may "win" in the long run, in the only run that matters to me, I'll do just fine. :D

It's naive to think NCL won't lose old customers OR new customers over this PR disaster.

It's also equally naive to believe that this will kill NCL as a cruise line. Companies don't just throw new polices against the wall randomly to see if they stick. Hence the "trial run" on the BA and GA with two different price points.

Happy Sailings

TheCapt

Do you really think that anyone really cancelled their cruise. There was so much complaining about some of the changes Celebrity made a couple of years ago and a lot saying they were cancelling and never cruising with them again and they are all there, even the one poster who swears he doesn't cruise with them any longer. These cruise lines are a lot smarter than some think, they know most of it is all talk and no action.

Believe me, if I could cancel without losing my deposit (£450) I would. Its not the $7.95 per se, its the fact that they are advertising a free service (still showing as free on their UK website) and they are charging for it. I just don't like anyone conning me and that is how I am feeling at the moment. Also in the back of my mind is "what else are they going to charge me for that they currently say is included?" I simply don't trust them anymore.

So yes, I would cancel and book with another cruise line over this but can't afford to lose £450.

They did not advertise I would have free lobster in my FARE!!!!!!!!! So therefore your point is not making sense!!!

If lobster was ever advertise in the price of your cruise please let me know when...???? I have never seen that. SMDH

But it had been a tradition for many, many years. Just proves that Mr. Sheehan was just as concerned with saving money as Mr. Del Rio is. He didn't seem to care about his customers when he made this cut and I would bet that when and/if Mr. Del Rio makes some cuts, it will be the end of the world, because some will say he doesn't care about his customers. What is good for the goose, is good for the gander, certainly won't be applicable then.

It was not advertised, but I recall seeing it in almost every cruise line's brochures for many, many years.

Never said I would cancel, I couldn't anyway without losing a pile, since I was within the penalty phase.

What I DID say was that I'd figure out what NCL owes me for their breach of contract and use my discretion to adjust my DSC accordingly.

That will be happening shortly. While the "smartest guys in the room" who run NCL may "win" in the long run, in the only run that matters to me, I'll do just fine. :D

You might not have said it, but many on here did; that was their way of sticking it to NCL. I was just saying that I don't feel anyone really cancelled. It is real easy to say something on social media, because no one really knows what one does.

And the only thing that should matter to you are how you feel about a company and how you will spend your money.

I will be cruising on NCL in about 10 days. I'm interested in seeing:

1. At the First Meet and Greet is there are any comments about Norwegian's changing policies/test of the room service charge.

2. The staff's attitude. Will it be as friendly and as cordial as in the past?

3. If anything is said at the Latitude's Party (if there is one) about these changes in RSC.

4. If anything is said by the Cruise Consultant about current or future changes in dining options.

5. If there is a clamor for the $250 advance cruise certificates for $100 on board credit.

6. If lobster tails are offered in the main dining room.

But it had been a tradition for many, many years. Just proves that Mr. Sheehan was just as concerned with saving money as Mr. Del Rio is. He didn't seem to care about his customers when he made this cut and I would bet that when and/if Mr. Del Rio makes some cuts, it will be the end of the world, because some will say he doesn't care about his customers. What is good for the goose, is good for the gander, certainly won't be applicable then.

It was not advertised, but I recall seeing it in almost every cruise line's brochures for many, many years.

What's even more ridiculous in the fact that now we are getting the "Sheehan cared about the customers" line. It's a non-provable statement if you are objective.

Nobody here can prove or disprove that these changes wouldn't happen anyway if Sheehan was still at the top. To say otherwise is an opinion and not a fact.

At least Del Rio has been completely upfront about wanting to increase the bottom line, like it or not.

Happy Sailings,

TheCapt

I hope that someone recently cruising that was charged for soup, hamburger and chips for lunch or a garden salad for dinner will post.

The fee will be $0.00 as the food is complimentry, but a $7.95 convenience fee will be added to the order and if recent cruisers are to be believed, they will also apply an 18% gratuity and service charge to the $7.95.

Has anyone posted an image of the new room service menu yet?

This thread is over 90 pages long and I can only skim so much :)

Yes, it was posted. Was on page 3 last time I looked. No fees are listed except for things like shrimp and cheese platters. According to the * at the bottom of the menu, "an 18% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added to your check for non-complimentry beverage and special,occassion items". Although cruisers reported it was added to all orders.

You are correct, Disney is the only place(Florida,Cali or other wold sites) that can offer you the Mouse Ears. However cruising is like any other industry that has competition.

You can compare cruise lines to the auto industry. They all make cars,they all offer sales yet they all stay in business. Why? Because they tweak their products based on market research and adjust accordingly.

If car company X offers a free GPS and car company Y makes the customer pay for it, car company Y still sells cars. Car company X does as well. NCL is merely doing this market research in a "live" setting after coming to the conclusion that any collateral damage of passenger loss is acceptable to them in the long-term and short-term.

Again they are betting on the losses being mitigated by new passengers or as NLH has said "customers being all talk and no action" in my opinion the latter is going to prevail with most cruisers booked or not because I find it hard to believe that millions of cruisers in their customers base are going to see this policy as a "deal breaker,this is a bunch of crap" move.

Happy Sailings,

TheCapt

True, but i think we assume to much. When it comes to money people feel a certain way.

I think had he not had the interview, i could agree with you. But I never heard a CEO come out and say what he did. He ruined is image out the gate. People may love NCL but don't TRUST Frank DelRio. That may be a problem later on.

The consumer is smart. This RS issue has been all over social media, not just CC but LOADS of travel blogs and travel sites. it has been well publizied on usa today as well. Word of mouth is an incredible tool. People are talking about it. Even here , though It may seem be the same few on this site repeating their same point thing ova and ova (guilty:o), but folks are reading it. They are making their own decisions about the issue and how it effect them or not. will this decisons along with the other decisions made by NCL reflect futrue bookings? maybe or maybe not. Time will tell.

Believe me, if I could cancel without losing my deposit (£450) I would. Its not the $7.95 per se, its the fact that they are advertising a free service (still showing as free on their UK website) and they are charging for it. I just don't like anyone conning me and that is how I am feeling at the moment. Also in the back of my mind is "what else are they going to charge me for that they currently say is included?" I simply don't trust them anymore.

So yes, I would cancel and book with another cruise line over this but can't afford to lose £450.

But you didn't cancel and that is my point. NCL had no financial negative impact from those on here that were yelling that they were going to cancel because NCL was ripping them off, double dipping, triple dipping, screwing their customers and crew, etc. and, you can bet your bottom dollar that NCL knows that. For every "loyal" customer that leaves, NCL will entice a new customers (with their price and promotions) to become the next generation of "loyal" customers.

What else are they gong to do - everything and anything that they feel can garner them extra revenue.

Its just not right to me. I don't think any company big or small has the right to change the terms and conditons AFTER a product or service has been purchased. BUT that is just my own personable belief system.

Actually US contract law also agrees with you.

Edited by Cuizer2