NCL Pearl Alaska Shore Excursions

A1Texan

I am planning my first cruise to Alaska. A friend said that I shouldn't use the ships shore packages but to book on my own. Any suggestions on excursions and companies to book with in Juneau, Skagway or Ketchikan would be greatly appreciated. My trip is September 6 - 13, 2015. Thanks

There are hundreds of tours, you FIRST, need to take a look at the shore excursion lists and narrow down your interests, then repost with specific tours mentioned.

One suggestion- be very well prepared with your attire. You are going at the worse weather potential time. It also is going to be dark at 7pm, so most later tours won't be offered.

There are hundreds of tours, you FIRST, need to take a look at the shore excursion lists and narrow down your interests, then repost with specific tours mentioned.

One suggestion- be very well prepared with your attire. You are going at the worse weather potential time. It also is going to be dark at 7pm, so most later tours won't be offered.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll post more specifics.

I booked all my excursions - not through NCL. Ketchikan - great Alaskan lumberjack show and then island wings seaplane of fjords. Juneau - ERA Dogsledding on glaciers, icy strait - glacier wind whale watching, Victoria - English taxi tour including tea at Fairmont. I researched all the ports on trip advisor and then started contacting each company. The ones I have selected have provided awesome service so far. We leave in 37 days!

I am planning my first cruise to Alaska. A friend said that I shouldn't use the ships shore packages but to book on my own. Any suggestions on excursions and companies to book with in Juneau, Skagway or Ketchikan would be greatly appreciated. My trip is September 6 - 13, 2015. Thanks

Don't dismiss booking through the ship just because your friend said to. There are number of benefits when booking through the ship, including a coordinated disembark with the tour group.

Anecdote time... bought a new watch on the ship, person at the shop didn't set it right, whatever... it's a Citizen Eco-Drive - sets iself, time zone change happened overnight, long story short, wife and I are an HOUR late for our planned excursion. Without batting an eye, NCL's coordinator directed us to "follow that pirate" and put us on a comparable excursion -- without batting an eye. The excursion we ended up on was $10 cheaper. The appropriate credit auto-magically appeared on our account. None of this could have happened if we were booked off the ship.

All I'm saying is don't dismiss the ship's tours without including them in your research and planning...

We tend to book through the cruise line...last July on the Pearl, we used the excursions sold via NCL except for Skagway. There, I booked through Chilkoot because the WPYR trip we wanted (Bennett Scenic Journey) was not available through NCL. No problem either way.

We tend to book through the cruise line...last July on the Pearl, we used the excursions sold via NCL except for Skagway. There, I booked through Chilkoot because the WPYR trip we wanted (Bennett Scenic Journey) was not available through NCL. No problem either way.

Thanks for the information. I was thinking of booking my excursion at Skagway through Chilkoot as well. Was that a good experience for you? Thanks

Thanks for the information. I was thinking of booking my excursion at Skagway through Chilkoot as well. Was that a good experience for you? Thanks

Our Chilkoot experience was excellent...only about 20 of us in our group and in our railcar on the train. Dave, our driver, was very good, very knowledgeable and accommodating. We stopped a bunch of time on the way back from Carcross including some places a larger bus would not fit. He even stopped in the middle of the road (if traffic was clear), not to get out but sit there so we could see the point of interest. He would take you camera and get shots of you at various places, especially the Yukon/BC and BC/AK border signs!

I would tour with them again without hesitation.

TinCan 782 - Thanks for the extra information. I booked a helicopter tour in Juneau and then the train with the bus up to the Yukon in Skagway. Just the lumberjack show in Ketchikan. I think we may need some time to show and rest some :)

Thanks again to everyone!!!

the train in Skagway is a "must do" we will also be on with you, bring a jacket, we also tx panhandle.

Awesome. We are looking forward to it all. I've already got everything booked and paid for, now is just the wait :(

• 3 months later...

A1 Texan I am organizing a meet and mingle with others from the cruise sailing Sept 6- 13 and some of the ships officers if you are interested please go to cruise critic and enroll in our roll call and let me know if you would like to join us