New article about Viking

Azulann

Thanks for posting that. I hadn't really wondered how long ago it has been since a new ocean cruise line launched, but you're right, this is a special occasion!

I didn't realize there were going to be culinary classes offered. Depending upon the cost and dates/times, my husband might be interested in those.

Now we need some early reports and pictures from any travel agents/Viking family/friends who are apparently boarding the ship in Venice this weekend!

Edited by roothy123

"Now we need some early reports and pictures from any travel agents/Viking family/friends who are apparently boarding the ship in Venice this weekend!"

I have been searching the internet , Twitter, etc for all the refereces to the maiden voyage of Viking Star. Read somewhere, one TA/travel writer said stay tune on Aprll 2. I am sure there will be lots of buzz in the coming days once the invited guest board for the first peek of the inside of the ship.

I would be sure to dress as the stylish explorers you all are on April 11, and pratice the 'wave" from the aft. :D

You will not leave Istanbul unnoticed.:cool:

Edited by Azulann

Well, if you see anything more, please post back, as I'm "following" this thread. I don't cruise until fall, so I have lots of questions - but of course, by then I'm sure they will all be answered.

You might have noticed this already, but there is one cruiser on the April 11 maiden itinerary who is going to Venice early (and then Istanbul early). That person will be there April 4 and is hoping to see the Star docked there, or better yet, see her depart at 6. Maybe (s)he should make a big poster-sized sign saying "Boarding soon; please post pictures!"

I plan on being in jeans, t-shirt, my well-worn Safari vest, my wide brimmed battered-up Tilley hat, sunglasses, and a camera around my neck. Do you think that will work?

I already have the wave part down, but I also shout "Yah-who" - makes the waving so much more noticable. :D:D

Hi, Azulann, thanks so much for posting our story! Just want to clarify one thing: It's the first new cruise line to debut with all-new ships (or ship) since Disney; there have been others in the years since that have debuted with secondhand tonnage (like Oceania for instance).

We're going to be onboard the first passenger sailing and plan to shoot loads of photos!

Stay tuned.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Found this on CC under Cruise news.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6273

You "explorers" on the maiden voyage are now part of a select group. Not since 1998 has a new cruise line been launched!

So excited for all of you ...:D

Hi, Azulann, thanks so much for posting our story! Just want to clarify one thing: It's the first new cruise line to debut with all-new ships (or ship) since Disney; there have been others in the years since that have debuted with secondhand tonnage (like Oceania for instance).

We're going to be onboard the first passenger sailing and plan to shoot loads of photos!

Stay tuned.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Found this on CC under Cruise news.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6273

You "explorers" on the maiden voyage are now part of a select group. Not since 1998 has a new cruise line been launched!

So excited for all of you ...:D

Stay tuned.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Dear Ms Brown,

I look look forward to your photos and story about this new cruise ship the Viking Star. Hope you will post it in the CC Newsletter.

I was happy to provide the link above to your story. As a avid traveler, I am also a great researcher both on CC and the web.:)

I plan on being in jeans, t-shirt, my well-worn Safari vest, my wide brimmed battered-up Tilley hat, sunglasses, and a camera around my neck. Do you think that will work?

I already have the wave part down, but I also shout "Yah-who" - makes the waving so much more noticable. :D:D

:D:D:D

I know you will do your fellow passengers proud, and myself and all the other lurkers here on this forum. I will look for you in the photos and video of sailaway.:)

I wondered about Oceania. We first sailed on it in the early 2000s when it was pretty new, but of course, the smaller ships came from Renaissance, so there were no new builds back then.

Ms Brown, I'm very glad to hear you're on the first Viking Star trip. All of your delighted Cruise Critic fans will be waiting to hear about it and see pictures! As you can probably figure out from the number of my posts, I LOVE Cruise Critic! I learn so much...

Have you ever been docked next to an RCL ship with a big hand? We were once, and a crew member had a huge poster board hand that he waved back and forth as the ship was about to leave. Then a crew member blasted the horn, and another nearby RCL ship blasted ITS horn, and there was no way anyone docked at that port couldn't notice the commotion.

This isn't exactly the same as your situation, but this talk of making yourself visible to others reminded me of the time I brought along on a cruise a two foot by one foot flag of Norway that I had made at home out of construction paper. I also had a smaller sign that said, "On To." I told a friend at home to tune into the town webcam for Lerwick (Shetland Islands - boy I loved that stop!!) at a particular time to see me. The Lerwick town center web cam was an unusually clear one, and it was easy to get close to it. I had figured out pre-trip exactly where to stand and when so I'd be sure to be in the sun and visible. I got a few stares as I stood at the chosen spot holding my paper flag for Norway, but my friend at home said she could clearly see me and the flag, and got a kick out of it. There was one thing wrong, though - I was holding the flag upside down!

I am searching for a good webcam in a port on our fall cruise, but so far the ones I've seen aren't very good quality, or too far away, so I don't know if I can repeat my little stunt.

But I digress...

I didn't mean to suggest that I dress this way so I'll stand out in pictures - I actually dress this way for the whole cruise. I do wear clean jeans and change my t-shirt, but the Safari vest,Tilley hat, sunglasses and camera are my uniform. Oh, and I forgot, the fanny pack as well. So I think it's pretty much guaranteed that the Viking cameras will be focused everywhere else, but not on me. Don't think it's the 'look' they're going for. In all the Viking ads I've seen, the ladies are always elegantly casually dressed.

I didn't mean to suggest that I dress this way so I'll stand out in pictures - I actually dress this way for the whole cruise. I do wear clean jeans and change my t-shirt, but the Safari vest,Tilley hat, sunglasses and camera are my uniform. Oh, and I forgot, the fanny pack as well. So I think it's pretty much guaranteed that the Viking cameras will be focused everywhere else, but not on me. Don't think it's the 'look' they're going for. In all the Viking ads I've seen, the ladies are always elegantly casually dressed.

Oh, but you are exactly the passenger Viking bulit the ship for your travels.

In reading the ads, brochure, in the videos, the most common words were COMFORT, Voyage of DISCOVERY, Exploring.:)

Your attire is perfect. And after the sun goes down,you will not be wearing a hat or sunglasses...instead... elegantly casual. Remember this cruise line has VIKING ROOTS.:cool:

Edited by Azulann

Elizabeth,

The cure for hat hair is a brisk breeze while at the aft bar.

Some call it a Sea Breeze;)

Hope all you Tilly hat wearers post a group picture... your numbers are growing.

Edited by Azulann

Roothy123, your post put a big smile on our faces today, thanks for the nice words (you, too Azulann).

Carolyn

I wondered about Oceania. We first sailed on it in the early 2000s when it was pretty new, but of course, the smaller ships came from Renaissance, so there were no new builds back then.

Ms Brown, I'm very glad to hear you're on the first Viking Star trip. All of your delighted Cruise Critic fans will be waiting to hear about it and see pictures! As you can probably figure out from the number of my posts, I LOVE Cruise Critic! I learn so much...

Carolyn,

Love Cruise Critic and all the various forums.

You must be really excited to explore this new ship in a matter of days.

Cannot wait to hear about their on shore walking tours, food, and the spa with the "snow" room!