norwegian spirit yes or no?

earl06

looking at this ship.. ports are the best for 2016 however looks run down, tacky , old.... any pictures of recent cruises on this ship please? or info

how is the food in main dining compare to Royal Caribbean?

I haven't been on her yet, but have booked for next year. There is a wonderful thread by Computerworks that includes amazing pictures. It was seeing his review that made me want to book this ship.

Definitely interested in any new pictures too.

Jai

We were on the spirit a few years ago. She was designed for the far east. Smaller rooms, smaller than all of the NCL ships today. I don't know if they have gone into dry dock lately. The buffet line is a little cramped.

looking at this ship.. ports are the best for 2016 however looks run down, tacky , old.... any pictures of recent cruises on this ship please? or info

Quite a description:eek: She has the "old world" look on purpose. Is that why you called it tacky?

Just off the Spirit. I thought it was a nice ship. Overall even though it is the smallest and the oldest in the fleet I thought it was ok and defo better than the Star in my opinion.

My biggest issues were the Champagne Bar and the Blue Lagoon, I was not happy with the location of either. The shops could have had a bit more, but overall it was ok.

As for the food that is subjective. They certainly did a better job implementing the new menus (sauce on the lasagne what a concept) then the Star. But for what it was I thought it was good. Melanie did make the best omelette I have had in quite some time.

Cliffy

I haven't been on her yet, but have booked for next year. There is a wonderful thread by Computerworks that includes amazing pictures. It was seeing his review that made me want to book this ship.

Definitely interested in any new pictures too.

Jai

can i have a link to computerworks cannot find:):)

She was refurbished in 2014, so should be pretty modern.

The only other line to offer an itinerary similar to that of the Spirit is Princess - Island Princess which is also an older ship, I think 2002 built. However the price is quite a bit more.

We sail on Spirit this October, so have done quite a bit of research.

Hi Earl06.

Cruised on the Spirit with my wife last year in the Med for 12 nights. Although a NCL fan I believe the Spirit was the worst ship we have cruised on thus far. We have cruised on the Jade and the Star and found them to be far better. On the Spirit we found the food to be very ordinary at best. The entertainment was also ordinary. Musicians around the ship were extremely poor and although the staff were great some of the tendering ports were extremely badly operated. Overall, we personally probably wouldn't cruise on her again, although our itinerary was excellent.

Hope you enjoy her more than we did.

Cheers Bob & Christine.

Edited by portcbob

I sailed the spirit earlier this month and loved it! I honestly couldn't tell that the ship is the oldest in the fleet because it is very well maintained. If you like the itinerary and smaller ships then you should give it a go!

Absolutely love the spirit. Wish she was offering a 14 night cruise to the Caribbean so we could sail her again. We must now choose the dawn which is not even comparable with the spirit.

We are sailing on the Spirit for 28 days Dec and Jan. This can be booked as 4 7-day cruises or as 2 14-day cruises. Mary Jane

We were just on the Spirit in December, and it is our favorite ship of all we have been on.

It had a dry dock in 2014, and a lot of the minor items were taken care of.

We did not see any signs of neglect on it.

Its smaller, holds about 2,000 passengers, so getting on/off is easy, and its never too crowded. We are not interested in the mega 4-5000 passenger ships.

It was built for the Asian market, so a lot different interior decoration, which is nice.

Food: everyone has their opinions, we thought the MDR was fine, never had a cold, or slow meal there. The buffet is adequate, not too crowded. Love the Blue Lagoon on it, great location and food. The aft has a great covered area to eat and view from.

Entertainment: that will vary with which shows/entertainers are on there, that will change continuously.

Shops: well, that's what the ports are also for.

If you want ritzy and flash, there are plenty of mega ships out there for your entertainment. We would not bother with the Epic, would only do the Spirit.

Was just on the Dawn in January, ehhh.

Just our opinion. Good luck. ;)

Absolutely love the spirit. Wish she was offering a 14 night cruise to the Caribbean so we could sail her again. We must now choose the dawn which is not even comparable with the spirit.

We are booked on the Spirit for a 14 da cruise to the Eastern and Western Caribbean. Leaves from port Canaveral. We're on the Nov.28th 2015 cruise. Check the NCL site and see what other sail dates are available on the Spirit if you want to be on a 14 da. cruise that is not just a repeat of a 7 da cruise.

Hi Earl06.

Cruised on the Spirit with my wife last year in the Med for 12 nights. Although a NCL fan I believe the Spirit was the worst ship we have cruised on thus far. We have cruised on the Jade and the Star and found them to be far better. On the Spirit we found the food to be very ordinary at best. The entertainment was also ordinary. Musicians around the ship were extremely poor and although the staff were great some of the tendering ports were extremely badly operated. Overall, we personally probably wouldn't cruise on her again, although our itinerary was excellent.

Hope you enjoy her more than we did.

Cheers Bob & Christine.

My wife and I cruised 12 nights in the Med last summer as well and have a totally different take.

The Spirit is a fantastic ship, great crew and great service. She is in good shape and not at all tacky, probably the opposite more classy than most NCL ships.

Specialty restaurants were outstanding, Main dining room not so much.

The Piano player was the best I have seen in 10 cruises and the other musicians were good (much netter the the Sun 2 weeks ago).

There were NO tendering ports on the itinerary.

Would sail here again in a heartbeat.

We did the Grand Mediterranean cruise from Barcelona to Venice last summer. We loved the cruise- the ports, of course, were incredible. I, like you, was concerned about the ship after what I had read online but we loved it! If you're looking for a rock wall or a skating rink, this is not your ship. Otherwise, go for it! The common areas are beautiful. The forward lounge, right over the bridge, has wall to wall windows and is a beautiful spot for relaxing and enjoying the views. On the aft end, right behind the buffet, there are tables under a roof for those who want shade or tables outside at the very end of the ship for sunshine. We always had our breakfast out there and enjoyed having a drink or playing cards or reading in the late afternoon after cruising. Occasionally there was a folksinger or a small band out there and on one occasion they served a buffet dinner out there. There are also tables and lounges in a tiered area down towards the children's pool area. It seems as if most people don't even know about it, because it was always uncrowded and relaxing. The ship is the perfect size. Don't hesitate- it's wonderful!

the spirit was the first ship i sailed on and i loved it, some ships have better lay outs but who cares with all the food available a little walking does me good. the way i see it if you don't like the food order something else, the staff wants to please you and will bring you things until your happy that is unless your one of those people you can never make happy :p and being on a ship is always better than being at home