am I going to starve ??

knarf

Here are my plans for our Juneau stop in August.....get off the ship at 2 PM --whale watching at 2:30 PM --then after whale watching taken directly to Mendenhall by whale watching company-then after a couple of hours at Mendenhall, take a taxi back to ship. WHEN AM I GOING TO EAT !! You know that when you get off a cruise ship that you are suffering from malnutrition:):p;):D I understand that there will be no where at the whale watching "dock" to 'catch' a sandwich and there is nowhere at Mendenhall to grab a sandwich..so how am I going to survive from 2:00 PM to 8:00PM without real food !?!?:eek:

Granola bars...yuck !! Does anyone know of a secret McDonalds anywhere ????

Thanks,

Under nourished 215 pound man !!!:D

Frank

Edited by knarf

I'm not sure if you are being humorous, but your time frames hardy miss any meals. You can be back on your ship by 8pm, eat then. With the 2pm port time, Finish a double lunch at 1pm.

I'm assuming your whale watch is independent? With a pick up near the tram? There is a shop accross the street, buy food there and eat it on your whale watch.

Do NOT bring nonpackaged foods off the ship.

Edited by Budget Queen

Too funny! DH told me that cruising is supposed to be all about the food, but I don't think that applies on cruises to Alaska. It's really hard to enjoy any kind of meal inside when I may be missing something spectacular outside. Reminds me of the saying, "I'll sleep when I'm dead," only instead it's "I'll eat when I get back home.":D Hey, could be a good weight-reduction program.:p;)

Too funny! DH told me that cruising is supposed to be all about the food, but I don't think that applies on cruises to Alaska. It's really hard to enjoy any kind of meal inside when I may be missing something spectacular outside. Reminds me of the saying, "I'll sleep when I'm dead," only instead it's "I'll eat when I get back home.":D Hey, could be a good weight-reduction program.:p;)

It is very important for some people, plus there could be medical issues.

I only speak from my experiences. With food meaning little to me. I get some "sick" looks from some people, when they talk about the MDR's and I say, I haven't seen it yet-- and it the last day. :) :)

I'm actually the same way on all cruises. Just not important to me. I spent about 21 weeks on cruises last year, On NCL, I get some free upgrade meals, which I did take advantage of, but I ate in the MDR less than 2 weeks- total for all the cruises. Grab and go in the buffet etc. Can't help it. :) That's what's great about cruises- something for everyone.

It is very important for some people, plus there could be medical issues.

I only speak from my experiences. With food meaning little to me. I get some "sick" looks from some people, when they talk about the MDR's and I say, I haven't seen it yet-- and it the last day. :) :)

I'm actually the same way on all cruises. Just not important to me. I spent about 21 weeks on cruises last year, On NCL, I get some free upgrade meals, which I did take advantage of, but I ate in the MDR less than 2 weeks- total for all the cruises. Grab and go in the buffet etc. Can't help it. :) That's what's great about cruises- something for everyone.

Wish we can be like that. Unfortunately my husband and I live to eat not eat to live! I do need to every 3 or 4 hours. Already started buying invidually wrapped healthy, protein rich snacks!

Here are my plans for our Juneau stop in August.....get off the ship at 2 PM --whale watching at 2:30 PM --then after whale watching taken directly to Mendenhall by whale watching company-then after a couple of hours at Mendenhall, take a taxi back to ship. WHEN AM I GOING TO EAT !! You know that when you get off a cruise ship that you are suffering from malnutrition:):p;):D I understand that there will be no where at the whale watching "dock" to 'catch' a sandwich and there is nowhere at Mendenhall to grab a sandwich..so how am I going to survive from 2:00 PM to 8:00PM without real food !?!?:eek:

Granola bars...yuck !! Does anyone know of a secret McDonalds anywhere ????

Thanks,

Under nourished 215 pound man !!!

Snacks were provided on the boat on all the private Juneau whale watching tours we have taken. But they were just light snacks, not meals.

Maybe contact your tour vendor in advance and ask what they can provide for you if you offer to pay for it.

I expect that you would likely get more sympathy if you need it for a medical condition rather than sheer gluttony. :D

With the distractions of the wildlife and the scenery, I do not recall any of us ever feeling hungry or deprived on such trips.

Taking food to Mendenhall Glacier is not a good idea.

Edited by varoo

I had a similar experience.... on my Juneau trips I remember a chocolate bar and possibly a sandwich.

Yah.... avoid food at Mendenhal... especially if you run into Yogi. Feeding the bears may have new meaning.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=mendenhall+bears&tbm=isch

Save your belly for Tracy's when you get back to the docks.

When you get back to the boat... just start gorging as payback!

Edited by xlxo

I get some "sick" looks from some people, when they talk about the MDR's and I say, I haven't seen it yet-- and it the last day. :) :)

:eek: Too funny!

I spent about 21 weeks on cruises last year, On NCL, I get some free upgrade meals, which I did take advantage of, but I ate in the MDR less than 2 weeks- total for all the cruises. Grab and go in the buffet etc. Can't help it. :) That's what's great about cruises- something for everyone.

BQ, you're probably as thin as a rail!:D But then that's how you see so much. Thanks so much for posting and sharing all that you do. You rock!:)