Airfare

Thecat3902

So I am booked on the vista for February 2017. We are now thinking about changing our booking to next June and splurging on the Barcelona cruise. My question is when do you all typical buy your airfare. I've looked at prices for this June to see what I might possibly pay for that time period. Does anyone have any advice on international airfare?

Looking at this year right now is a bit late in the game. I have typically found the best airfares between 8 and 10 months out when traveling to Europe in Summer. We have paid the last few trips anywhere from $1050 - $1297 from Nashville. If you are flying from Atlanta you may have better luck.

For our first Med cruise in 2013 I purchased airfare for our late May trip in November and never found a lower price. At that time I paid $801 round trip from Miami to Barcelona on TAP Portugal. I would definitely fly TAP again, they did a great job and there was only one connection in Lisbon.

Sign up with some online services that send weekly updates on pricing like kayak or air fare watch dog and you will get a good idea of pricing options.

We are booked on the May 24th sailing out of Athens ending in Barcelona and I plan on purchasing in November again.

Edited by BaseballMomof4

Thanks what is TAP

Portugal's airline. TAP Portugal. If you check on some of the airfare websites you will see them offering some of the lower fares along with Air Canada. We had a very positive experience. They were on time, the food was actually good, and we never had any luggage issues.

Portugal's airline. TAP Portugal. If you check on some of the airfare websites you will see them offering some of the lower fares along with Air Canada. We had a very positive experience. They were on time, the food was actually good, and we never had any luggage issues.

Currently I won't use Air Canada to Barcelona. They have started a lower cost line called "Air Canada Rouge". Service is poor . They also added 6 rows of seats in the economy section. Legroom is poor unless your 5'10" in height.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

Currently I won't use Air Canada to Barcelona. They have started a lower cost line called "Air Canada Rouge". Service is poor . They also added 6 rows of seats in the economy section. Legroom is poor unless your 5'10" in height.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

Good to know, thanks! As I am only 5'6" it probably wouldn't be bothersome for me, but my son is 6' so we will try other carriers although to be honest, I think most of them are going to more seats with less legroom :mad:

I work in the travel industry. Here are some tips. Airlines will normally not publish thier schedules and post rates until 330 (some are 300) days prior to travel.

Without sales, etc. the best way to get the best price is to book early. It works this way. The airline will price a certain number of seats at the lowest price. When they sell out, the price jumps up to the next level and on up. I doesn't matter which seats you choose (I'm talking coach) but the firs 10% of seats sold will be at the lowest price, the next 10% the price will go up and the next 10% the price will go up again. So depending on when you book, the more seats available, the lower the price.

Rarely when a flight isn't selling well, they will discount some seats to get more passengers, but that's definitley not guaranteed.

Your best bet is to book as early as you can, fly out of a major hub if possible, and check a variety of different airlines.

I work in the travel industry. Here are some tips. Airlines will normally not publish thier schedules and post rates until 330 (some are 300) days prior to travel.

Without sales, etc. the best way to get the best price is to book early. It works this way. The airline will price a certain number of seats at the lowest price. When they sell out, the price jumps up to the next level and on up. I doesn't matter which seats you choose (I'm talking coach) but the firs 10% of seats sold will be at the lowest price, the next 10% the price will go up and the next 10% the price will go up again. So depending on when you book, the more seats available, the lower the price.

Rarely when a flight isn't selling well, they will discount some seats to get more passengers, but that's definitley not guaranteed.

Your best bet is to book as early as you can, fly out of a major hub if possible, and check a variety of different airlines.

Awesome information, thank you!

From what I have been able to see, it seems Miami is the cheapest airport to fly out of in Florida, am I on the right track? Hate driving 3 hours to get there but the price differential has been worth it in the past. Would prefer to fly out of Fort Myers or Tampa but the cost is usually significantly higher.

From what I have been able to see, it seems Miami is the cheapest airport to fly out of in Florida, am I on the right track? Hate driving 3 hours to get there but the price differential has been worth it in the past. Would prefer to fly out of Fort Myers or Tampa but the cost is usually significantly higher.

Yes, Miami would be your best bet for international flights, but it doesn't hurt to look at closer airports that may have a connection through JFK, ATL or EWR which might just have the same price. Doesn't hurt to look around, that's for sure.

I would also suggest doing an airline search on Orbitz, or Kayak or some other multi-line website, and then booking your tickets directly through the airlines. They will have the lowest prices, and will many times have additional flight times that work better for you.

Yes, Miami would be your best bet for international flights, but it doesn't hurt to look at closer airports that may have a connection through JFK, ATL or EWR which might just have the same price. Doesn't hurt to look around, that's for sure.

I would also suggest doing an airline search on Orbitz, or Kayak or some other multi-line website, and then booking your tickets directly through the airlines. They will have the lowest prices, and will many times have additional flight times that work better for you.

Thanks for all of the info! It's nice to have someone in the industry give some pointers! ;) I booked through Kayak last time and can honestly say I felt I got a real deal at $801 for a round trip from Miami to Barcelona. I know not to expect THAT to happen again :p but am hoping to keep it around $1000 - $1100 each, which from what I am seeing right now doesn't seem out of the question. The good news is I am only buying 2 tickets this time instead of 4 :D

Thanks for all of the info! It's nice to have someone in the industry give some pointers! ;) I booked through Kayak last time and can honestly say I felt I got a real deal at $801 for a round trip from Miami to Barcelona. I know not to expect THAT to happen again :p but am hoping to keep it around $1000 - $1100 each, which from what I am seeing right now doesn't seem out of the question. The good news is I am only buying 2 tickets this time instead of 4 :D

Anytime. One more hint is to look early in the mornings. Travelers and agents can book and hold air seats during the day, so if they don't sell them they go back into inventory, increasing availability and dropping down to the lower rates again until those seats are sold.

Thank you so much for the pointers. The airfare was our biggest concern before booking our Med cruise. We will definitely book as early as we can.

We are quite flexible since we can fly out any of the 3 airports in NYC or even PHL (1 hr 30 mins away). But I think JFK Airport is our best bet.

We are hoping that we can get the airfare to Barcelona RT at around $800-$900 range.

Edited by aquarianne11

Anytime. One more hint is to look early in the mornings. Travelers and agents can book and hold air seats during the day, so if they don't sell them they go back into inventory, increasing availability and dropping down to the lower rates again until those seats are sold.

Can you offer any tips on one way flights please. We will be on a TA coming back

Can you offer any tips on one way flights please. We will be on a TA coming back

Sure, same tips above apply. It used to be that one way flights were a lot more expensive than round trip. No longer. Most flights are priced by each way, so you will not pay any more for a flight because it's one way. Again your best bet is to find a flight you like on an online booking engine (Kayak and orbitz are both great) and then call the airlines where you will usually get it for a couple of bucks less and there will be more options.

I book as early as possible. Fares go up as you get closer to your travel date. For example, I booked our airfare for Oct (Boston to New Orleans) last week and the price was $123/pp on Sourhwest. (Regular price, no sales). Now if I look at the same flight, it has already gone up to $142/pp. It's all about supply and demand. If the demand is there, then the prices will go up as you get closer to your fly date. Granted, if the demand isn't there and they need to fill flights, then they might lower prices as you get closer to the date, but you are taking a gamble.

And I should add that I have never seen Southwest's prices fluctuate based on time of day or day of week that you are looking at them. Maybe other carriers do that, but I've never seen it. Haven't seen it with JetBlue either as I'm planning on our return trip with them and I'm just waiting until I have enough rewards points. The price of the flight I want is staying the same no matter when I look at it.

Edited by bakersdozen12

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if you've already made your flight reservations or not

I did a mock booking flying to Barcelona and then back from Athens from both Miami and Tampa...and the cost was actually cheaper leaving Tampa on several different booking engines.

Not sure if you've already made your flight reservations or not

I did a mock booking flying to Barcelona and then back from Athens from both Miami and Tampa...and the cost was actually cheaper leaving Tampa on several different booking engines.

It's too early to make reservations so no, I have not. Thank you for that information!! Not only is Tampa closer (about an hour and a half drive) but I also have family there who might be willing to park my car at their house and save me the fees! I will DEFINITELY be checking that out!

• 10 months later...

Hello - we are booked on the Vista - Italy cruise out of BCN for Aug 26,2016. I have been watching the air fare for 3 months( BOS to BCN)- finding them any where from 850-1250 each. Finally I found flights I wanted and called Carnivals Fun to Fly program and they book it for me at $250.00 cheaper than the air line . I also do not have to pay for it until 90 days before cruise and I am entitled to price decreases also. So just to say I just saved $ 500.00 booking thru carnival. Try it !!

Hello - we are booked on the Vista - Italy cruise out of BCN for Aug 26,2016. I have been watching the air fare for 3 months( BOS to BCN)- finding them any where from 850-1250 each. Finally I found flights I wanted and called Carnivals Fun to Fly program and they book it for me at $250.00 cheaper than the air line . I also do not have to pay for it until 90 days before cruise and I am entitled to price decreases also. So just to say I just saved $ 500.00 booking thru carnival. Try it !!

Great deal ! booking through the cruise line usually helps on fares especially for Europe. Don't forget the role call for your sailing http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2156400&page=11

By the by I'm an ol' Worcester boy.

I called Carnival a few days ago to get fare information because I have heard so many people say they have gotten cheaper fares through Carnival. I was skeptical but what they quoted me was actually $300 cheaper and from our small home airport too. However, the flights they had led to a 40 minute connection in Atlanta before switching airlines and flying to another connection in Paris. I'm not confident in a 40 minute connection in Atlanta nor am I confident in an airline switch getting our bags in the right place. We're planning on flying in a day early before the cruise but do you think Carnival would do anything if we or our luggage missed that connection?

Also, does anyone know if we happen to book through Carnival if we are able to pick our seats or add any frequent flyer account numbers to get credit for the flights?

I typically will book 90-120 days out. Now, I am a fan of Air Canada Rogue, but with that said, you have to upgrade to the level above economy, for 100.00 US pp., and its so worth it. I just booked Air Canada Rouge to BCN and back from Paris for under 600.00 pp. for June of 2016. I live in US but travel out of YYZ. Just understand Rogue, before you book and it can be a great option. BTW, these are non stop flights as well! Love non stop.

I am not a fan of planning a year in advance for a trip, just go on the fly, so I have never booked 8-10 months out.

Edited by coldinerie