Does the $12.95/day auto-tip ALL goto staff?

fstuff1

"I do not agree with the forced auto gratuity on specialty restaurants, coffee shop, pizza delivery etc. It was only after there were questions of double dipping were we then told that these wait staff are not a part of the DSC and I find that very hard to believe as they have other duties as well on the ship. I don't agree with the possibility of paying up to $7.95 for the delivery for room service. If it went 100% to the person who delivered then I wonder why he is deserving of twice the amount for dropping off my food as the person who serves me for 2/1/2 hours in Le Bistro? If the money is going into the pockets of the corporation then they are taking away from the employee who delivered it, as most people in the past would have been giving him a couple of dollars cash tip and now many will refrain from doing so."

As I've said, feel free to adjust the DSC as you feel, but indiscriminately reducing it or removing it without informing the management of the cause for it is, as LMaxwell says within your rights, simply counterproductive.

As for the specialty wait staff, why can it not be that they have been removed from the DSC, regardless of other duties, and the remaining DSC is now divided amongst more crew? I can tell you that in 2004, no laundry crew were part of the DSC, but that appears to be the case now. I've gotten the impression that nearly all of the hotel staff that are not receiving mandatory gratuities like the specialties and bar staff, are now on incentive. As for the room service charge, why do you think it is only the guy who delivers the order that receives the gratuity? What about the people who work in the room service galley and pantry?

Again, I would like to see proof that the increase in gratuities, increase in DSC, or room service charge is not going to the crew. Something other than the say so of crew who have the possibility of receiving cash tips from the passengers.

I thought I was clear earlier. I do not begrudge the crew the DSC. I have never removed or even adjusted the amount in the past. I have always tipped extra to my steward, wait and bar staff. I don't begrudge the increase to the DSC.

I do not agree with the forced auto gratuity on specialty restaurants, coffee shop, pizza delivery etc. It was only after there were questions of double dipping were we then told that these wait staff are not a part of the DSC and I find that very hard to believe as they have other duties as well on the ship. I don't agree with the possibility of paying up to $7.95 for the delivery for room service. If it went 100% to the person who delivered then I wonder why he is deserving of twice the amount for dropping off my food as the person who serves me for 2/1/2 hours in Le Bistro? If the money is going into the pockets of the corporation then they are taking away from the employee who delivered it, as most people in the past would have been giving him a couple of dollars cash tip and now many will refrain from doing so.

We will pay our DSC and every time we turn around on the ship we will be paying more in the form or auto-grats and service charge/convenience fee. That implies that everywhere we turn we should be expecting the highest level of service. NCL has set that bar and I and others will be less inclined to just accept whatever service we are given. Prior to these changes that blanket acceptance is exactly what I would do, because I do feel the staff is hard working and deserves what we give them, but I always had a choice in the matter. When the company forces me to pay more and more and makes my tipping non discretionary it does change the way I feel about it. Where previously I would have just not tipped extra for inferior service I will now have to address any issues with management and if need be adjust the DSC. That is the option they have afforded me and I refuse to be bullied or pressured from ever using that option with the myth that my waiter/steward is some poor indentured servant from a third world country. Most of the time on a ship I find the service to be excellent and hopefully I will never have to make any adjustment to the DSC because of a bad situation.

We do have health care in Canada but at the same time a minimum wage employee in this country is most often living below the poverty line.

Someone in Florida who works a job that receives tips, is paid a minimum wage of $4.91 per hour and likely will never be considered middle class doing their job. But as you said crew members earn the equivalent of a middle class income for their home country. A middle class income in Canada is $70,000 per year. I think you might find a fair few people who would be more than willing to work on a ship for that type of money. In fact there are Canadians who work on cruise ships who make less than that they, just work in different departments.

I understand that the crew give up a lot when they choose to work on a cruise ship. My father was not a navy man but he was in the military (army) so I do have some idea of the life of a crew member and their family. I've no doubt that life on a cruise ship can be difficult but there are benefits too. I am glad to hear that things will be better for them in terms of the MLC. At the same time enough from those who want to place some sort of guilt trip on me as if I am personally responsible for the welfare of each and every crew member. They chose to work on a ship and receive decent compensation for doing so. As I said before I have never made any change with the DSC in the past but if I receive really inferior service in the future I will not hesitate anymore to alter if necessary.

Rochelle

"like" and 100% agree !!

As I've said, feel free to adjust the DSC as you feel, but indiscriminately reducing it or removing it without informing the management of the cause for it is, as LMaxwell says within your rights, simply counterproductive.

Doing anything without providing feedback to management that they can on is counterproductive. This holds true for just about every service industry. *IF* there is a problem and management DOESN'T know, then they are not afford the opportunity to correct it, either for you, or for others going forward. I always say the first thing to do is get a hold of someone who can make a difference. For any given situation (not just on a cruise).

I can tell you that in 2004, no laundry crew were part of the DSC, but that appears to be the case now.

So do they make MORE than they did in 2004, or about the same as they did in 2004 (let's ignore inflation for the moment). If they still get about the same amount, then the company is paying them less.

And I'm not putting down anyone in a hotel support function, but how it is fair that what an unseen person earns is tied to a discretionary amount given by a guest for services? It seems very unfair and flawed to me.

Again, I would like to see proof that the increase in gratuities, increase in DSC, or room service charge is not going to the crew. Something other than the say so of crew who have the possibility of receiving cash tips from the passengers.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I enjoy this discussion. It is interesting to read differing opinions. But as much as you'd like to see proof it is NOT going to the crew, I would like to see proof that it IS going to the crew.

Here is section 3C of the Guest Ticket Contract that I referenced in my original post. I am not adding any emphasis, highlighting, or changing anything. Straight cut and paste.

Service Charges:

Certain members of Carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that are funded in part by the service charge paid by each Guest. The charge , which is automatically

added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, is intended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employees according to Carrier's evaluation of job performance. A portion of the service charge collected by Carrier is also used for fleet-wide crew welfare programs.

By MY reading of the above passage I can certainly see how the company MAY withhold some amount if an employees performance falls below some given metric. In fact, by calling it a service charge and NOT a gratuity, it implies that not all of it will be passed on, as an employer has no specific right to take any of a workers gratuity at all, but they certainly are entitled to collect charges and fees and do with it what they will. So what I gather is that some portion of these charges are disbursed to the crew. Now, legally speaking, SOME may mean ALL. But it does not necessarily ALWAYS mean all. Yes, there are hairs being split here, but words DO have meanings and contracts are worded very specifically and words are not always interchangeable although in a more casual setting they may be understood or accepted to mean similar, or even the same things. But contracts are a whole different animal.

Another thing I find difficult to believe would be this scenario.

Let's say staff member A and staff member B each provide me services, and I leave the DSC intact. Whatever NCL's internal metrics are, they somehow rate staff member A below par. Staff member A received less than the share they could potentially earn. Staff member B is rated at the par level to receive the maximum share (of whatever is left in the pot after NCL contribute to general fleetwide crew welfare fund) that they could potentially earn. Where did the rest of the money from staff member A go? Is it now in the crew welfare pot? Did it go to the corporate revenue line? It does not seem to me that Staff member B could receive MORE than they have the opportunity to potentially receive because if ALL staff provided excellent, at par or above services, and were bonused or incentivized, there would not be enough in the DSC pool to pay them. And their base wages are already contractually guaranteed. So it seems that no matter how great staff member B is, they are going to hit a ceiling. And even if staff member A is awful, staff member B still hits the same ceiling. Taking a staffs gratuity, (because in other areas NCL DOES refer to the service charge as a gratuity) and withholding it to distribute as some sort of incentivized bonus is not proper. When a guest pays these fees they are told it is a gratuity and I suspect many people not on CC, that when told these things think that all the money is given to the people that serve them, and is not being used to subsidize fleetwide crew programs instead.

It all feels like a big game. We, the guests, get our pockets picked at a bit more at each turn, and the workers bear the brunt of the wording of the contract by being subject to the whims of the company. The company collects and has the money, and he who has the gold makes the rules.

Even typing that out took some work. It might be a bit "cludgey". I hope you, or others, can make heads or tails of it.

If you find out any substantive information, one way or another, to support any viewpoint on this I'm always keen to learn.

We will pay our DSC and every time we turn around on the ship we will be paying more in the form or auto-grats and service charge/convenience fee. That implies that everywhere we turn we should be expecting the highest level of service. NCL has set that bar and I and others will be less inclined to just accept whatever service we are given. Prior to these changes that blanket acceptance is exactly what I would do, because I do feel the staff is hard working and deserves what we give them, but I always had a choice in the matter. When the company forces me to pay more and more and makes my tipping non discretionary it does change the way I feel about it. Where previously I would have just not tipped extra for inferior service I will now have to address any issues with management and if need be adjust the DSC. That is the option they have afforded me and I refuse to be bullied or pressured from ever using that option with the myth that my waiter/steward is some poor indentured servant from a third world country. Most of the time on a ship I find the service to be excellent and hopefully I will never have to make any adjustment to the DSC because of a bad situation.

Agreed. Very well stated.

"I do not agree with the forced auto gratuity on specialty restaurants, coffee shop, pizza delivery etc. It was only after there were questions of double dipping were we then told that these wait staff are not a part of the DSC and I find that very hard to believe as they have other duties as well on the ship. I don't agree with the possibility of paying up to $7.95 for the delivery for room service. If it went 100% to the person who delivered then I wonder why he is deserving of twice the amount for dropping off my food as the person who serves me for 2/1/2 hours in Le Bistro? If the money is going into the pockets of the corporation then they are taking away from the employee who delivered it, as most people in the past would have been giving him a couple of dollars cash tip and now many will refrain from doing so."

As for the specialty wait staff, why can it not be that they have been removed from the DSC, regardless of other duties, and the remaining DSC is now divided amongst more crew? I can tell you that in 2004, no laundry crew were part of the DSC, but that appears to be the case now. I've gotten the impression that nearly all of the hotel staff that are not receiving mandatory gratuities like the specialties and bar staff, are now on incentive. As for the room service charge, why do you think it is only the guy who delivers the order that receives the gratuity? What about the people who work in the room service galley and pantry?

I agree with you that any change to the DSC should come with an explanation and good reason behind it and follow the proper channels.

When people were informed of the increase to the DSC back in February there was some discussion, but for the most part everyone was accepting and there was no fervor over the issue. If increases needed to be made in order to adequately compensate the crew members then why didn't they just raise it a buck or two more at that point? If they had done so there would have been no need to start charging extra for service previously included at every turn. Even though there might have been more reaction in the beginning it would likely have not been to the extent we are now seeing with the test room service charge.

I believe that most cruisers are okay with the DSC. The discussion now about making any adjustments to it is in reaction to all the other new charges. People are feeling backed into a corner and being told they have to pay more for things that have previously been included. If you take away a person's choice in a matter and force them to do something out of the norm is it really surprising that not everyone is going to just bend over and take it.

As to your question; As for the room service charge, why do you think it is only the guy who delivers the order that receives the gratuity? What about the people who work in the room service galley and pantry?

My only answer is that last week they were all included in the DSC and despite an increase of 8% I should now believe that they are all being removed from it? If they are not being removed then again it is a case of double dipping, which you will find even harder to get others to accept.

Rochelle

Doing anything without providing feedback to management that they can on is counterproductive. This holds true for just about every service industry. *IF* there is a problem and management DOESN'T know, then they are not afford the opportunity to correct it, either for you, or for others going forward. I always say the first thing to do is get a hold of someone who can make a difference. For any given situation (not just on a cruise).

So do they make MORE than they did in 2004, or about the same as they did in 2004 (let's ignore inflation for the moment). If they still get about the same amount, then the company is paying them less.

And I'm not putting down anyone in a hotel support function, but how it is fair that what an unseen person earns is tied to a discretionary amount given by a guest for services? It seems very unfair and flawed to me.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I enjoy this discussion. It is interesting to read differing opinions. But as much as you'd like to see proof it is NOT going to the crew, I would like to see proof that it IS going to the crew.

Here is section 3C of the Guest Ticket Contract that I referenced in my original post. I am not adding any emphasis, highlighting, or changing anything. Straight cut and paste.

Service Charges:

Certain members of Carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that are funded in part by the service charge paid by each Guest. The charge , which is automatically

added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, is intended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employees according to Carrier's evaluation of job performance. A portion of the service charge collected by Carrier is also used for fleet-wide crew welfare programs.

By MY reading of the above passage I can certainly see how the company MAY withhold some amount if an employees performance falls below some given metric. In fact, by calling it a service charge and NOT a gratuity, it implies that not all of it will be passed on, as an employer has no specific right to take any of a workers gratuity at all, but they certainly are entitled to collect charges and fees and do with it what they will. So what I gather is that some portion of these charges are disbursed to the crew. Now, legally speaking, SOME may mean ALL. But it does not necessarily ALWAYS mean all. Yes, there are hairs being split here, but words DO have meanings and contracts are worded very specifically and words are not always interchangeable although in a more casual setting they may be understood or accepted to mean similar, or even the same things. But contracts are a whole different animal.

Let's say staff member A and staff member B each provide me services, and I leave the DSC intact. Whatever NCL's internal metrics are, they somehow rate staff member A below par. Staff member A received less than the share they could potentially earn. Staff member B is rated at the par level to receive the maximum share (of whatever is left in the pot after NCL contribute to general fleetwide crew welfare fund) that they could potentially earn. Where did the rest of the money from staff member A go? Is it now in the crew welfare pot? Did it go to the corporate revenue line? It does not seem to me that Staff member B could receive MORE than they have the opportunity to potentially receive because if ALL staff provided excellent, at par or above services, and were bonused or incentivized, there would not be enough in the DSC pool to pay them. And their base wages are already contractually guaranteed. So it seems that no matter how great staff member B is, they are going to hit a ceiling. And even if staff member A is awful, staff member B still hits the same ceiling. Taking a staffs gratuity, (because in other areas NCL DOES refer to the service charge as a gratuity) and withholding it to distribute as some sort of incentivized bonus is not proper. When a guest pays these fees they are told it is a gratuity and I suspect many people not on CC, that when told these things think that all the money is given to the people that serve them, and is not being used to subsidize fleetwide crew programs instead.

It all feels like a big game. We, the guests, get our pockets picked at a bit more at each turn, and the workers bear the brunt of the wording of the contract by being subject to the whims of the company. The company collects and has the money, and he who has the gold makes the rules.

Even typing that out took some work. It might be a bit "cludgey". I hope you, or others, can make heads or tails of it.

If you find out any substantive information, one way or another, to support any viewpoint on this I'm always keen to learn.

Well said. Seems like they are trying to gyp someone and that someone won't be me.

The only way to know this is to look at the annual filings which break down expenses to "crew expense" and divide that by the number of crew (you would have to get that from the stated crew per ship to allow for new ships/crew each year), and see whether crew cost per crew member goes up. While this covers other costs than compensation (travel for instance), it would give a metric of what crew are making, though the POA crew will cause a disjunction. The crew costs did increase over the 4 years I was there.

I don't disagree that the DSC incentive program is unfairly balanced against the crew, but it is the industry standard, so I will pick the battles I can win.

Service Charges:

Are you sure that the legal system in the Bahamas, or any other country that crew come from, have no right to take gratuities? Have you seen a crew contract? How do you know that the crew hasn't given the company the right to take and distribute gratuities? Please remember that NO labor law in the US applies to international crew.

Again, I would wait to see what the effect of the increased "fees" and gratuities are on the bottom line before I accuse the company of "picking my pocket". Folks here on CC claim that "cruise lines make huge profits", and this is true because of the scale of the business, but look at how much they make per passenger, in profit, before you castigate them.

Service Charges:

Great. Complain on board and the poor tired crew member gets in trouble just because they are having a bad day. Better be careful they don't spit in your food or wash the toilet with your toothbrush.

Again, I would wait to see what the effect of the increased "fees" and gratuities are on the bottom line before I accuse the company of "picking my pocket". Folks here on CC claim that "cruise lines make huge profits", and this is true because of the scale of the business, but look at how much they make per passenger, in profit, before you castigate them.

By pick my pockets I mean that since I booked they have increased or added a number of fees not present when I booked. Ultimately those charges cost ME more regardless of whether it is enough for the company to turn it into a larger profit margin

Great. Complain on board and the poor tired crew member gets in trouble just because they are having a bad day. Better be careful they don't spit in your food or wash the toilet with your toothbrush.

I don't fall for that line. I would never, ever spend thousands of dollars with any company if I felt they would spit in my food or put my toothbrush in the toilet, effectively holding me ransom for a few dollars. I am sure no hospitality company would tolerate that either. I really am not worried about it because I don't believe it happens.

I can't tell if you are saying it tongue in cheek or not.

I don't fall for that line. I would never, ever spend thousands of dollars with any company if I felt they would spit in my food or put my toothbrush in the toilet, effectively holding me ransom for a few dollars. I am sure no hospitality company would tolerate that either. I really am not worried about it because I don't believe it happens.

I can't tell if you are saying it tongue in cheek or not.

Oh it happens. Surely it happens. I wouldn't go around complaining about someone which could affect their livelihood without expecting repercussions, especially when they are on the same ship with you for days after.