Cozumel Questions?

CRUISER2B

How far is dock to town? Can it be walked or do you need a taxi. Booked on Carnival Ecstasy in October 2015 for my 30th Anniversary.

Last time I was there was with my kids in 2004. We spent the afternoon at Paradise Beach, then back to ship for dinner then walked around shops at pier. We were all exhausted.

This time its adult time. Hubby and I may go on a motorcycle tour. Not sure if dinner on ship or in town. Any recommendations for dinner? Shopping?

Also need tour for in-laws, mother and 2 of their friends. All in 70's/80's. Would like to avoid beaches. Can anyone help with a tour recommendation?

As always, thank you all....

If you dock at the Puerto Maya Pier (Carnival's usual pier) it's about 2 miles from town. You can walk it if you like, it's an easy straight shot along the water, sidewalks all the way. I can get hot, though. You can see the city center as you are sailing in, and you can get a feel for where it is from the top decks of the ships usually, to make the decision whether you want to make the walk. I've done it, but that was years ago. Now, I'd rather pay the $8 taxi ride to and from the pier and save my walking for a trek around town. Have the taxi driver drop you at the town square. There are plenty of shops, restaurants and bars to keep you entertained if you take the side roads off the town square too. Lot's of easy local, yet tourist friendly places to explore in town.

Because you are on a smaller ship, if there are a lot of ships in port, you may be at the Punta Langosta pier which it right in town!! That's always nice too! I always hope we will dock there, because then it's an easy stroll off and on the ship right into town.

I would recommend eating in town too. Plenty of good restaurants to choose from. I never remember any names, though, so someone else should be able to help if you are looking for something specific. Great prices and fresh food!!

I will recommend finding Wet Wendy's for a GIANT frozen Margarita made with all kinds of cooky ingredients like peanut butter & Chocolate, pear and cayenne, ginger & peach, etc. You can choose which ever ingredients they have that day and they grind, crush, slice chop everything fresh right there and make an outstanding margarita!!

Edited by mrsfuzzmo

Be advised that the town square is currently closed for renovations. In fact closed is really not the right word, destroyed would be a better word.

Have you visited recently and have up to date information on the progress?

The latest information from a local said the renovatios seemed to be on schedule and should be finished end of April/ May. Cruiser isn't visiting until October.

Edited by c-leg5

I am heading out on the 11th of April and will be in Cozumel on 4/15. We are docking from 1:30-10:30. I believe we are at Puerta Maya

This is her first cruise, she is interested in snorkeling but most of all shopping! I really wanted to avoid the 52 million Tanzanite stores and get some authentic shopping in. If the town square is being demolished/renovated, do you have any other suggestions for us?

Any snorkel tours (non cruise) that you can recommend?

Thanks for any tips and suggestions.

Deb

Deb

We used Eagle Ray a couple of years ago for a snorkel tour and were happy. Since then we have been snorkeling from shore at the Money Bar - great facilities, rental gear, etc. and no fee - and the post snorkel margaritas are great! :D About a $10 cab ride from the piers.

http://moneybarbeachclub.com/

I am heading out on the 11th of April and will be in Cozumel on 4/15. We are docking from 1:30-10:30. I believe we are at Puerta Maya

This is her first cruise, she is interested in snorkeling but most of all shopping! I really wanted to avoid the 52 million Tanzanite stores and get some authentic shopping in. If the town square is being demolished/renovated, do you have any other suggestions for us?

Deb

You can still shop in town. There are plenty of streets that off shoot the town square and lots of blocks of streets to wander. It's fun. I have a little map here. Red X is the town square.

Cozshopping.jpg.c6e76d412a4031196b645c54d9a81e3e.jpg

Have you visited recently and have up to date information on the progress?

The latest information from a local said the renovatios seemed to be on schedule and should be finished end of April/ May. Cruiser isn't visiting until October.

I was there the first week of March. I would be surprised if it is ready any time soon.

I was there the first week of March. I would be surprised if it is ready any time soon.

what exactly are they doing and do you think it will be an improvement? can you access any of the businesses round the perimeter?

Edited by c-leg5

We used Eagle Ray a couple of years ago for a snorkel tour and were happy. Since then we have been snorkeling from shore at the Money Bar - great facilities, rental gear, etc. and no fee - and the post snorkel margaritas are great! :D About a $10 cab ride from the piers.

http://moneybarbeachclub.com/

No matter how much research I do, regarding snorkeling, I keep hearing about The Money Bar! Can you really see much, just going out from the beach? Is it super crowded? Seems like the whole world knows about it! I will look at the website to check snorkel rates, etc.

Thanks for the info.

No matter how much research I do, regarding snorkeling, I keep hearing about The Money Bar! Can you really see much, just going out from the beach? Is it super crowded? Seems like the whole world knows about it! I will look at the website to check snorkel rates, etc.

Thanks for the info.

You do not go out from "the beach" - there is no beach because the sand would cloud the water. You enter via steps, the water is clear, and the snorkeling is good. If you are a stronger swimmer it gets even better farther out; if you are not a stronger swimmer rent an inflatable snorkel vest with your flippers (we always bring our own mask/snorkel). It is not crowded, but you may see smaller snorkel tour boats dropping their customer in the water there (smile and think about how much you are saving and can now spend on even more margaritas! :D).

Check out the photos on the web site, on this board, and at trip advisor. the place is popular on this board and a few other web sites, but 99% of the passengers on your ship will have never heard of the place. I could spend the day there! :D

Edited by JohninDC