Snorkeling at Castaway Cay

Madio

Have done quite a bit of snorkeling all over the world, either for shells or beautiful tropical fish. Haven't seen any mention on this board of WHAT they are snorkeling FOR, and how good it is. Is it worth bringing snorkel gear? (would prefer that to rental) If great tropical fish, thought I might just bring snorkel & mask, rent a mat and do it the easy way. Granddaughter can bring snorkel and fins, and wear life vest. Any advice? Thanks!

If you've snorkeled all over the world, Castaway Cay is nothing. It's a great place for a beginner.

Everyone is required to wear a snorkel vest (no charge). No mats. Only masks/fins/snorkels. It is quite a long way out to get to the better stuff. It is a net enclosed area with the fish that DCL has tempted there and the "stuff" they have planted there. Little fish can get in but not big ones. You'll see little guys who have grown up there. And Barry (the barracuda that was supposed to be kept out) and his family are there.

Every snorkel excursion I've ever done has been better than Castaway...but CC is a great place to start.

Thanks, you've been very helpful. I am 70 yrs. old, so if it is a "long way out to get to the good stuff", it might be too much for me. I take it that you just rent the mats for another area?

The inner tubes and mats that you float on are not permitted in the snorkel area. Yes' date=' they are obtained from a different location than the snorkel stuff.[/quote']

Unless you're snorkeling at serenity bay, then there are no separate areas. On that end of the island, all the "good stuff" is in only about 8-10 feet deep water. Still quite a ways out, but not like the main snorkel area where it can get to 30+ft in some areas.

Ok, in fairness, I have not been at Castaway Cay for a year. I've cruised DCL, but on cruises that did not stop there.

1998-2014, the snorkel lagoon was adjacent to, but separate from the family beach. Any swimmers who got into the snorkel area were promptly removed by the lifeguards. Anyone in the snorkel lagoon is required to wear a snorkel vest.

Snorkel equipment is obtained from the "shack" called Gil's by the snorkel area. There will be 2 lines--one for people with tickets (pre-paid), one for people paying. For tubes and floats, if you have a ticket, you go to a totally separate area--you can't miss it as there area hundreds of tubes piled up. If you have not paid for a float and want one, you go to Gil's to pay, then take your ticket to the man at the "float corral." (for lack of a better term.)

Serenity Bay has no separate snorkel area. Also no lifeguards. And yes, there is stuff to see much closer to shore.

Edited by moki'smommy

If you've snorkeled all over the world, Castaway Cay is nothing. It's a great place for a beginner

I've been an active diver since the mid 70's .... and have visited Castaway many times

I'd say this is an accurate description .... it is snorkeling Disney'd! Nearly as artificial as Shark Reef in Typhoon Lagoon!

Ser' Bay side is not much better if you are 'experienced', but less artificially planted with the added risk of no life guard . . . you are not going to see a reef with a few feet of vertical relief and a ton of fish .... you'll see some patches in a sand flat and MAYBE something cool that stumbles into the area.