Tips for Quantum!!

We were on the March 13 sailing to Bahamas. We had a big party with extended family going together. It was overall very fun. Since there were already a few reviews for this sailing, I will just give the tips for sailing this beautiful ship!!

I will try to include things that I found out on the ship. Hope you find these tips helpful!! :)

If you have questions, I will try to answer as much as possible!!

1. Online booking: I spent hours and hours on this. I booked all the dining early. By the time entertainment schedule came out for booking, the dining was booked solid. I chose and booked the entertainment times I wanted and then try to switch the dining. It was very hard, but possible.

Tip: Definitely book the entertainment, especially Mama Mia. The dining can work around it or you can change the dining time on board.

2. Dining booking: Book it, as early as possible. If you are unable to book even for 4 people online, CALL THEM. They are able to do split bookings of 2 tables of 2 people, and then you can merge them while on board.

Tip: Book it. Book something!! Even if the time is 9pm!! Go to the restaurant to change it on Day 1.

3. Dining Changes: Change it on Day 1 or Day 2 while on board. (Day 1 preferred)

Tip 1: For complimentary restaurants, go to Deck 3 or Deck 4. Go to the restaurants directly to change. For specialty (paid) restaurants, go directly to the one you need to book or make changes and talk to them. They do reserve some vacancy for booking on board.

Tip 2: To CANCEL a specialty restaurant that you paid online, you need to go / call that restaurant directly to get the refund!!!!! (I cancelled my reservation on Royal IQ App, but the refund is not automatic. I chased and chased to find that only the host of that restaurant can do the refund. A high tech ship!)

Tip 3: While booking specialty restaurants online. They charge full price for kids. Kids fee are $8 and kids under 5 y.o. is free. You need to get the price adjustments on board.

4. Dining

I won't go into a full review. Just highlights that I found out.

Tip 1: American Icon for breakfast!! Full service and they also have a buffet area. If you are not in a hurry that morning, I recommend this place!!

Tip 2: Kids menu is the same for the 4 complimentary restaurants. The menu has instructions to fold into a boat which is fun!! Kids can order from the adult menu too.

Tip 3: Jammie Italian!! Definitely do the lunch. No line, no reservation, cheaper than dinner and great food. The kids had a blast also!! Fresh pasta is superb!! They cook it al dente. If you prefer softer, request it when you order and it will arrive perfect! The desserts are great, so save room for them!!

Tip 4: Devinly Decadence. Try it if you must. Skip it if you don't have time. They have only sweeteners for your coffee. No real sugar there.

5. Where to get hot water

They have hot water machines at Windjammer, Two70 and at Promenade. When you pour the water into the white plastic cups, it smell like coffee. My tip is to get a paper cup at the Promenade to get water. This works also when you want to bring your coffee to the ports.

6. North Star

The following are requirements, directly from the board below North Star:

- Children that are less than 107cm may not ride.

- Children that are less than 120cm must be accompanied by supervising companion of at least 14 years of age.

- Maximum rider weight of 300lbs.

Tip: Each ride can take 14 people. The line is very long on sunny sea days. I advise to go in the morning. They usually open at 8am. Arrive at 7:45am for a 15 minute wait for the first or second ride.

7. Bumper Cars

Tip 1: Kids under 5 may not ride. This is strict!! They check seapass cards for the age.

Tip 2: The line can go all around seaplex. That is a 1.5 hour wait. For shorter lines, go on Day 1, or on a port day afternoon.

More tips to come!!

Edited by Catcat222

8. Ripcord by iFLY

Tip 1: Book online if possible. Be aware of the cold weather if you sail out of New York. Try to book on a warmer day.

Tip 2: If you can't book online, they allow stand-by. You can just go and wait. If people don't show up, then you can get a spot!

Tip 3: If your child or spouse don't want to do it, you can swap and have their entitlement.

9. Royal IQ App

Download before your trip and activate while on board. You can look at the statement and check your activities there. You can also book dining or shows if they are still available.

You can use the App to "chat" with your fellow family or friends on board. This is free. You just need to add them to your Royal IQ Chat. This feature is very good and useful on board.

10. Family Activities

I highly recommend the "Digital Photo Scavenger Hunt". It is very fun. A hint here: use your brain first, before your legs start the mad run. Very fun for the whole family, even if your family is all adults.

If you have younger kids, you can also do the scavenger hunt in the Adventure Ocean kids club. It is super fun also. Not as easy as you think, but the kids will love it. It is confined to the room and less running around than the adult version.

11. Royal Theatre

Tip: Go early to line up! Please note the theatre has four doors. Two on Deck 4 and two on Deck 5. The crew opened all four doors at the same time. Go to Deck 5 to get in for a shorter line. There is a staircase after entering from Deck 5, so you can choose wherever you want to sit.

12. Penny Machine

It is supposed to be at American Icon Restaurant. But it is broken most of the time because some guests put whatever coin in it and it is down and hiden away most of our cruise. We didn't get to do it. I hope you have a chance!

Hope you have a great cruise on Quantum!! We sure did!!

Wow - thank you!

Any chance you have a copy of the kids menu to post? Any of the kids' club compasses? We are traveling in a few weeks and I'd love to give the kids an idea what to expect.

Are you saying it is easier to have a dining reservation and change it than to try and book without a reservation? There are two nights that the only time available for our party of 8 was way later than what will work for our kids, but I did go ahead and book it anyway hoping to change later.

Did you have any connecting rooms? Was there anything different about their setup?

Wow - thank you!

Any chance you have a copy of the kids menu to post? Any of the kids' club compasses? We are traveling in a few weeks and I'd love to give the kids an idea what to expect.

Are you saying it is easier to have a dining reservation and change it than to try and book without a reservation? There are two nights that the only time available for our party of 8 was way later than what will work for our kids, but I did go ahead and book it anyway hoping to change later.

Did you have any connecting rooms? Was there anything different about their setup?

Let me try to find the kid's menu. I am not sure I kept the kid's club compasses though. The kid's compasses give the topics of each day, like one day on food, one day on transport, etc., but no specifics as to what activity they do. I have tried to ask for specifics. They just say they will do activities related to those topics.

My kids went a few times. It was ok fun. My 5 year-old came back with drawings. My 10 year-old won a small plush toy from there. Because of the age difference, they were in separate rooms. They sort of felt lonely without any friends there.

Sometimes, they just stayed with us to go around the ship and play in SeaPlex (Bumper Cars, Table Tennis, Air Hockey).

For dining reservations: yes, I suggest to book it and then change to an earlier time on board. And if you need to change Day 6 (a later day of the cruise), don't wait until Day 5 to change it. Do it on Day 1 (if they allow), or Day 2. Sometimes they are too busy and has long lines to do these bookings/ changes that they only do Day 1 and Day 2 stuff on Day 1.

We had connecting rooms (balcony staterooms). No big difference in the set up. We just need to ask them to open the connecting doors, the same as in a hotel.

One room has the bed near the balcony while the other has the bed near the bathroom/door.

I hope you have a great cruise with the kids! It is a beautiful and fun-filled ship!!

Thank you for posting great tips.

A couple of questions:-

How do you download the Royal IQ App. Can you do it on an Android tablet?

We are going on the ship for 16 nights in May and I am worried about wardrobe space and dont think I will be able to take all my oufits. I have booked the Grand Restaurant for 4 evenings and was going to take 4 formal outfits for that. We are in a balcony cabin.. What are your thoughts on this.

Many thanks

We are going on the ship for 16 nights in May and I am worried about wardrobe space and dont think I will be able to take all my oufits. I have booked the Grand Restaurant for 4 evenings and was going to take 4 formal outfits for that. We are in a balcony cabin.. What are your thoughts on this.

Many thanks

You can find the App at the Google Play Store.

We were in a balcony cabin also. We brought 2 sets of formal outfits, and found the wardrobe space to be very sufficient. We also had winter jackets taking up a lot of space, and we were still fine with room to spare.

They have quite a few drawers and shelves in the room so that you can fold your casual clothes in. Unless all of your dresses are very bulky, it shouldn't be a problem.

Hope you have a great time on Quantum!! :)

Question about Adventure Ocean: On the deck plans it is shown on both deck 11 and 12. Can you access it from both decks, or just one?

I've had a hard time finding much feedback on the clubs. My kids have loved AO on other ships, and will be disappointed if these clubs are boring. I was concerned about the windowless layout.

Thanks!

Many thanks

You can use your luggage as storage too. Leave it open with clothes in it and slide it under the bed. We have been on Quantum twice, once for 22 days, the other 21 days. I took too many clothes, as I usually do. We managed to store all the clothes. 1 suitcase had to be stored by our stateroom attendant. Have fun, we loved the ship.

Question about Adventure Ocean: On the deck plans it is shown on both deck 11 and 12. Can you access it from both decks, or just one?

I've had a hard time finding much feedback on the clubs. My kids have loved AO on other ships, and will be disappointed if these clubs are boring. I was concerned about the windowless layout.

Thanks!

The Adventure Ocean has different rooms for different age groups: 0-2, 3-5, 6-8, 9-11. So depending your kid's age, he or she will go to the room of their age. Some rooms are on Deck 11 and some are on Deck 12. You will find out when you register them.

The kids club are windowless. But they are nicely decorated and also feels new (because the ship is so new). My 5 yr old said it was fun. Initially, she was scared to get in, but after getting used to it, she found it fun and was willing to stay. My 10 yr old, however, didn't like it too much. She said the instructors were mean, keeping telling them to be quiet (while she said they were really not noisy). She'd rather stay with us to go around the ship or play in Seaplex.

We had 800 kids under 18 yrs on our sailing. There were usually less than 10 kids in each age group in AO. So it is very quiet there. My other observation is that the kid's club staff is also seen at controlling North Star's line and the Theatre's line. I think some of them are tired from all the responsibilities.

Wow - thank you!

What aged kids? I have the 15-17 yo Compass.

If you show up at a restaurant at 5:30 chances are you will be a table. But not sure how that applies to a group of 8, as we were only 4. I'd visit the host stations on Day 1 and make any changes you want to be safe.

We had connecting balconies on deck 11. The only thing different in our room was the extra door when you first walk in that needs to be unlocked from both sides. There are very strong magnets that keep them open, and you can close one when you need to without them locking. The balcony flap was also unlocked so we had a larger balcony. Still a partial partition, just not all the way.

No kids menu, sorry, as mine are teens.