Booking for Alaska - stay with Carnival or ??

ABQrobin

I've been looking into HAL and on top of their website driving me crazy, the prices are more than double that of Carnival (cruise only). Is that normal. Also I thought they had deals on 3rd and 4th person but I don't see any mention of that. Also when I look at booking a room even for 2016, it was only letting me click on suites.

As others have said, when it comes to Alaska try lines that specialize in Alaska. Go with HAL, Princess, or NCL. Those three lines control over 97% of the slots available to sail into Glacier Bay. No one else comes close to offering the itineraries that NCL, Princess, and HAL offers to Alaska.

I find it "interesting" that most of the posts here are "recommending" and "not recommending" cruises they have NOT been on.

I have sailed all the major lines IN Alaska with the exception of Disney. I HAVE sailed Carnival in Alaska several times, going back to the late 90's, 3 times last year- IN Alaska. So obviously, I find the above post about not knowing the difference bunk. Carnival does have one of the top naturalists sailing Alaska, over many years- Michelle. She does greatly enhance a trip, if of interest., and offers commentary and programs, that are well attended. Celebrity has the other "top 2" in my opinion, Brent and Dirk. Both have extensive experience in Alaska and also greatly enhance the Alaska experiences.

Alaska sailing is unique. It can be, for some, the reason sailing there is for what's outside the ship. The ports, are unique, I recommend - to find out about them. There are only 6 potential on the inside passage. Unlike the Caribbean- each is very worthwhile and very different from the others. Determine- what activities, you are going to use to occupy your time. Rank what you wish to do, and be certain you are going in the right timeframe, and have the time for your tours. This should point you toward the cruise choice right for you.

I will again, state- IF you have a Tracy Arm itinerary- it is grossly superior to take the add on ship excursion. It simply offers a far better glacier view along with wildlife. That tour will put the price up. In my opinion, this isn't the place to skimp on tours, so think carefully and determine the budget way in advance if necessary.

I don't agree that a balcony is the only way to go. Outside deck viewing is spectacular on cruise ships, so it's a personal decision- know yourself. :)

Finally, do some basic prep work and understand what traveling Alaska can offer. There are MANY different options. I do not agree, that round trip Seattle cruises are somehow, sloppy seconds- that are mistake to even consider. There are many reasons these are great choices.

As I already mentioned, Round trip Seattle cruises are the least scenic because of the routing.

Glacier Bay certainly is an Alaska highlight, but so is Tracy Arm, and Hubbard Glacier. Which ever one you choose you are missing the others.

Alaska cruises are all about compromises, there is no perfect cruise. When you read reports- guess what- there are raves all around. :)

So get yourself informed, so you know the details of the differences. This should allow you to select the cruise that is right for you.

I sailed Princess in Alaska because they were consider the best at Alaska cruises at the time. It was awesome experience. However Alaska is awesome period. I would rather sail carnival in a Balcony than Princess or Hal, Celebrity etc in an inside if money was an issue. To me a Balcony on an Alaska cruise is important. Especially if your going to Glacier Bay. If sailing the carribean an inside does not concern me. That's my opinion. I haven't sailed Carnival in Alaska but they are going to the same ports so I would have a great time period.

Someone else mentioned this but the ship is important because of restrictions and requirements to sail in Alaska. So make sure you ask your PVP the questions to be sure you get the vacation you want..

Be forewarned you will want to go back! Happy

Cruising!

I've done both Carnival and NCL to Alaska. The 1st was on Carnival R/T from Seattle with Tracy Arm and the scenery was wonderful at Tracy Arm. Sadly I didn't book the separate excursion which I wish I had done.

The 2nd cruise was last year on NCL Sun Northbound Vancouver to Whittier which went to the same ports, Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan but also included Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. We enjoyed both but preferred NCL due to the Glacier Bay and Hubbard glacier itinerary. OP just depends on what you prefer.

If the plan is to also do a land tour in AK then the one way itinerary is the way to go. Plus since you mentioned wanting a more casual experience, NCL doesn't even have an "elegant" night just a dress up or not night so it's less formal. JMHO