In/Out of San Juan

Dreamz2cruise

Are there any tips you have for flying in/out of San Juan? Anything special you have to do when you leave at the airport, port - customs???

How is that airport? Easy to navigate? Just wondering - and thankful for any information you can provide. I thought I read something somewhere that you have to first go through this one line before you go to check out??? Just thought I'd ask those who have done this before.

Thanks much!

I don't recall anything particular. Have sailed out of San Juan twice. I will tell you that the Carnival embarkation process there is absolutely the best. Wonderful terminal, nice folks, efficient. I think part of that is because the ship is in port for 16 hours or so.

Do remember that the ship historically leaves at something like 10p, not the typical 4p because all they do that first night is exit the harbor, head north a few miles and practically 'drift' over to USVI. Dinner that first night is not at your assigned table but as groups are formed walking into the MDR. We did fly in day before (we always do) and have enjoyed our 24 hours in town. The trip home makes for a long day but nothing particularly unusual.

SJU is pretty standard procedure. I do recall a carry-on fruit inspection prior to TSA. I seem to remember them quickly opening my bag, seeing no bananas, slapping on a 'You're good to go1' sticker and putting us back in the standard USA TSA line.

Edited by jsglow

When you get ready to fly out of SJU after your cruise... you need to go to the USDA checkpoint BEFORE you go to the ticket/boardingpass/baggage checkin station. It's not as well marked as you might expect, and you might get dropped off in front of the ticket counter instead of in front of the USDA checkpoint.

Also, as you are preparing to leave the cruise port with your luggage, you may wish to look for a porter. There is a separate porter-only line, which moves much more quickly than the non-porter lines.

On the other hand, using a porter at the beginning of your cruise may not save you much of anything... you'll walk right by the baggage check-point as you enter the terminal, so if you have wheeled luggage, you might choose to keep it and check it yourself.

When you get ready to fly out of SJU after your cruise... you need to go to the USDA checkpoint BEFORE you go to the ticket/boardingpass/baggage checkin station. It's not as well marked as you might expect, and you might get dropped off in front of the ticket counter instead of in front of the USDA checkpoint.

Thanks! That's what I had read before, but wasn't sure about what you had to do first. I assume if you try to check in, they re-direct you there - right?

Appreciate the info - thanks much!

Thanks! That's what I had read before, but wasn't sure about what you had to do first. I assume if you try to check in, they re-direct you there - right?

Appreciate the info - thanks much!

In theory, they're looking for a sticker from the USDA before they take your luggage. If you missed the signs and the ticket counter line was long, it would be awful to get to the front of the line only to have to go get in the other line. Hopefully they have someone standing at the entry-point once those lines get long, I don't know.

We didn't know about it, but were fortunate to have another passenger point us in the right direction. It was pretty early in the morning, so we were pretty foggy -- it might have been better marked than I remember. :)

If you've been to HI it's the same procedure.

IIRC your luggage will be tagged with a sticker. Everything goes thru.

you can also only check in for your flight 4 hours early.

This is not true. I don't understand how it continues to get posted here as fact.

Just a couple of months ago, we were at SJU at 7:30AM, through USDA scan, checked-in, through TSA, and sitting in the AA Admirals Club by 8:00AM for a 3:30PM flight.

If you are arriving midafternoon on a day when more than one ship is disembarking, I can tell you that SJU can be very, very crowded. I have seen it where people are sitting on the floor everywhere and it is hard to walk around.

Down by baggage claim you should be able to glance over and see if there is a line of people waiting for taxis. This can be 20 people deep at times. Grab a porter, he will get your bags off the line and take you straight outside to a waiting taxi. Of course you have to tip him but it is worth the money. Don't worry these are the same taxis that everyone else is waiting in line for, the price is set and the porter will confirm this with the driver.

Now that you mention I do think it was ALL our bags, both checked and carry on. Bottom line, it's your first order of business at the airport. Then check-in/checked baggage. Then TSA and off to the gate. Thanks for the clarification.

San Juan is a cool town. Do try to go the day before. We've routinely booked a hotel on Hotwire at a very good price and have always been pleased. For many, San Juan is a very long flight so I can't imagine trying to cram the trip plus embarkation all in one day.

Now that you mention I do think it was ALL our bags, both checked and carry on. Bottom line, it's your first order of business at the airport. Then check-in/checked baggage. Then TSA and off to the gate. Thanks for the clarification.

San Juan is a cool town. Do try to go the day before. We've routinely booked a hotel on Hotwire at a very good price and have always been pleased. For many, San Juan is a very long flight so I can't imagine trying to cram the trip plus embarkation all in one day.

They didn't check my wife's purse (very small). In fact, she started to put it on the belt, and they told her not to. They did, however, check all other bags, regardless of whether they would be checked or carried.

They didn't check my wife's purse (very small). In fact, she started to put it on the belt, and they told her not to. They did, however, check all other bags, regardless of whether they would be checked or carried.

Trust me. NOBODY wants to look in a woman's purse!! :eek::eek:

Enjoy your nest cruise. :)

Are there any tips you have for flying in/out of San Juan? Anything special you have to do when you leave at the airport, port - customs???

How is that airport? Easy to navigate? Just wondering - and thankful for any information you can provide. I thought I read something somewhere that you have to first go through this one line before you go to check out??? Just thought I'd ask those who have done this before.

Thanks much!

One thing to note about taxis when you fly in to San Juan. If you are taking a taxi to the port or a hotel. When you get outside the airport there is a special line for taxis. Don't just walk up to curbiside and hail one. YOu will go through a rather long queue and they will fill out a form with your destination and price. Taxi fares are set by where you are going and not real cheap. But you need to go through the line and get the piece of paper with your details to then give to the driver when you are next in line.

This is not true. I don't understand how it continues to get posted here as fact.

Just a couple of months ago, we were at SJU at 7:30AM, through USDA scan, checked-in, through TSA, and sitting in the AA Admirals Club by 8:00AM for a 3:30PM flight.

US Airways would not let us checkin early when we flew out of San Juan last year. We had a 5:30pmn flight and had to wait in a rather hectic and small area with very few seats.

Because you went to the Admiral's Club, I'm assuming that you have a certain status with AA. If that's the case, could that be the reason why you were allowed to check in early while others have reported that they weren't?

Flying In: Airport is relatively easy to navigate, but if you are planning to take a taxi, there is typically a really long line. The taxi prices are regulated by zone and the line tends to move relatively quickly.

Flying out: If you are going directly to the airport from the ship, get a porter and let them help you cruise right on out to a taxi. The cruise ship transfers wait to fill an entire motorcoach and can be a bit of a pain.

When you get to the airport, go to the USDA scan first. Also, Southwest will only take luggage a couple of hours before the flight, so you can not drop off luggage and then go out to lunch or whatever.

US Airways would not let us checkin early when we flew out of San Juan last year. We had a 5:30pmn flight and had to wait in a rather hectic and small area with very few seats.

We had US Airways as well. Never had this issue at SJU before. Maybe things changed. Who knows. :D

Because you went to the Admiral's Club, I'm assuming that you have a certain status with AA. If that's the case, could that be the reason why you were allowed to check in early while others have reported that they weren't?

No special status, just had a free day pass from previously having their credit card. No priority boarding status or VIP TSA lines.

[quote

We had the same experience with Southwest. They will not let anyone check in early or check bags early. We sat in the airport with luggage for quite a long time.

Since then, I learned that Barrachina's would hold luggage if we still had hours before the flight.

[quote

We had the same experience with Southwest. They will not let anyone check in early or check bags early. We sat in the airport with luggage for quite a long time.

Since then, I learned that Barrachina's would hold luggage if we still had hours before the flight.

Barrahcina's has good food too. It will be my first stop when I get off the ship in two weeks cause I can leave my luggage there and explore old town while waiting to check in to my hotel in condo beach later on that day.

Out of curiosity what is the flight cost to San Juan? Is it more than a typical flight? I have always wondered because the cruises out of San Juan seem fabulous. Just afraid the air fare would be really expensive.

We are flying out of Chicago and I know where you an fly to will change the price, but just a round about works for me :)

Barrahcina's has good food too. It will be my first stop when I get off the ship in two weeks cause I can leave my luggage there and explore old town while waiting to check in to my hotel in condo beach later on that day.

What and where is Barrachinas? Thanks

Is we arrive at 6am from our cruise, is a 9:45am flight out too early?

Yes. You won't get off until 7 or later.... Plush luggage claim and customs, plus taxi time... Plus USDA check-in and TSA. No way would I try that.