Nieuw Amsterdam aft cabin selection and other options

Mister White

I am going to get my first aft cabin on the Westerdam for an Alaska cruise this upcoming August. Yea!!!

I have just selected another aft cabin for a 2016 Eastern Caribbean Cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam (VB cabin 4180) I like the location close to the restaurants but was wondering if being closer to the pool in an aft cabin deck 8 might be better for the Caribbean.

I like using the stair vs. elevators and deck 8 aft may be the better choice. But, I am wondering about deck noise, chair set up and all that.

Which of the 2 cabins would you choose?

Also, the Nieuw Amsterdam has those VQ catagory cabins above the pool forward on deck 10. These may be s nice option but are right below the Crows Nest and explorations cafe. Any noise problems there I wonder?

Haas anyone stayed in the VQ cat. cabins on deck 10 on the Nieuw Amsterdam? Might be a nice change to be in that location or do you think I will be spoiled by the VB cat. aft cabin on my Westerdam cruise and not want to change?

We very much like the aft cabins for the location and the view. We are booked in 7139 on the Nieuw Amsterdam the week of Thaksgiving. Two decks below the pool deck and have been there before, and it's very quiet. Also only two flights of stairs to the pool and buffet. Could be what you might be looking for, in any event have a great cruise!

I am going to get my first aft cabin on the Westerdam for an Alaska cruise this upcoming August. Yea!!!

I have just selected another aft cabin for a 2016 Eastern Caribbean Cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam (VB cabin 4180) I like the location close to the restaurants but was wondering if being closer to the pool in an aft cabin deck 8 might be better for the Caribbean.

I like using the stair vs. elevators and deck 8 aft may be the better choice. But, I am wondering about deck noise, chair set up and all that.

Which of the 2 cabins would you choose?

Also, the Nieuw Amsterdam has those VQ catagory cabins above the pool forward on deck 10. These may be s nice option but are right below the Crows Nest and explorations cafe. Any noise problems there I wonder?

Haas anyone stayed in the VQ cat. cabins on deck 10 on the Nieuw Amsterdam? Might be a nice change to be in that location or do you think I will be spoiled by the VB cat. aft cabin on my Westerdam cruise and not want to change?

Deck 8 under the aft Lido will have a noise issue around 9:00 PM when they are moving loungers while cleaning the deck. If you go to bed after that time, you should be OK.

I would recommend sticking with VB4180 or pick a Deck 5 cabin.

Deck 8 under the aft Lido will have a noise issue around 9:00 PM when they are moving loungers while cleaning the deck. If you go to bed after that time, you should be OK.

I would recommend sticking with VB4180 or pick a Deck 5 cabin.

Thanks for the information - We should be out and about the ship at that time - so the noise shouldn't be a problem. I would have loved to strike a happy medium between the MDR and the pool - but, the only avail. aft cabins I can choose are either on decks 4 or 8.

Thanks again for the information.

We've had two afts on the Nieuw Amsterdam on deck 8 - no noise issue at all.

Thanks for this information. There has been talk of vibration issues on the NA - but, I figure the dry dock will take care of any of those issues. Plus, higher up from the rear of the ship might be even better for engine/propeller noise, etc. Thanks again for the opinions and information.

• 4 months later...

Its been very interesting reading about the VB cabins etc. Great info fron those who know more than I do.

Never been on NA and never in and O/V before. Has anyone been in E staterooms on Main deck??

Size and noise from above may be an issue. Price looks ok but would that E cabin ruin a cruise??

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for that thumbs up. It is always difficult to spot the differences when its a ship we haven't been on before.

the price difference I'm seeing is not too much so the VB looks the business. Thanks.

Did you get a peek into the o/v cabins on the main deck, deck 1 by any chance??

Thanks again

deeko

We were in aft cabin 7137 on the NA for a Caribbean cruise in 2013. Loved the cabin for the balcony and the spaciousness, but you do feel the movement of the ship more in an aft cabin. We ran into some rough weather one night and many were seasick, including me. That was our first aft since we normally stay in a mid-ship cabin and I always wondered if I would have gotten seasick in a mid-ship cabin. Anyway, I think you will really enjoy an aft if you spend time on your balcony like we do.

Thanks so much Kaliekae that is a helpful comment. We have been aft on Princess and on NCL.

I agree about the movement and you are right to remind me!! We plan for Europe in Oct and so I may not get the Caribbean weather you had!!!

I wonder did you ever chance an ocean view. We wonder if we would feel a bit more claustrophobic??

Great to get your reply and thanks again.

deeko

Did a NA transatlantic in a VQ on the 11th deck. It was extremely quiet and I expect deck 10 may be similar. The downsides of the VQ's, in my opinion, are cost, tiny balcony and long distance from some of the more popular areas of the ship. Of course, if you frequent the spa or Explorations Lounge frequently, then its a positive. By the way, having a VQ cabin gives you no additional perks or discounts in the spa. Its subjective, of course, but I would opt for the aft cabin in a heartbeat.

We were on NA in aft 5188. Very nice location. Sometimes we could feel a vibration, but I am not sure if this is specifically for the aft, or in general. Didn't bother us.

We will be in 5188 for a 20 day TA in October and have read many conflicting reports on the size of the room and balcony. My main concern is the issue of storage and if the cabin and balcony are about the same size as the port or starboard VB's?

Paula

Thanks so much Kaliekae that is a helpful comment. We have been aft on Princess and on NCL.

I agree about the movement and you are right to remind me!! We plan for Europe in Oct and so I may not get the Caribbean weather you had!!!

I wonder did you ever chance an ocean view. We wonder if we would feel a bit more claustrophobic??

Great to get your reply and thanks again.

deeko

Our very first cruise was on the old Noordam in 1995 and it was in an ocean view cabin. We had a port hole window. We were on a Caribbean cruise and had lots of wave action one night and saw fish through the port hole. It was interesting! We did feel claustrophobic and have always had a balcony since that cruise. You definitely need a balcony in Europe. It's interesting to see the ports as you come in.

Hi Kalliekae

Lots of chat here since your first helpful comment. This one clinches it!! If it looks too cheap............it is too cheap!!

I haven't had goldfish since I was a boy..............your image of swimming fish is terrific. In the Caribbean I enjoy the flying sort!!

A balcony it is...and thanks again for your time and thought.

deeko

Seabands thanks for your reply.

The virtues of the balcony we can buy into. We've never been in an O/V and it looks like we never will!!

There is a wealth of experience on here and it is appreciated.

We also like you like the aft cabins. The exercise to go to many places is as good as the gym.............

deeko