Suite Private Party

cruisefreaks

No way was my comment about how to present a gratuity. I was saying that I would not ask my guests to pay the gratuity. But, then, I am not comfortable asking family to contribute if they comes to our house for Christmas.

As for the rest, the poster who asked the question wanted to know how other members have handled any additional gratuity. Why answering that question honestly should often anyone is beyond me.

First of all, the Wine Tasting was a roll call event. I simply suggested that instead of holding it in the PH I was occupying, that it be moved to a larger venue. I wasn't even in charge. But I did suggest that we all chip in for the gratuity.

I agree - if I ask you to a get together at my house and I engage help to deliver that event, I would not put a "tip" jar out. I am happy to ask someone in certain instances to "bring a bottle" but that is it.

I think to the OP is very wise, they can consider holding it in their suite, but the layout is not ideal for hosting an event of that size especially if you are trying to have a more structured wine tasting, so having it somewhere else might be wise.

I do not like the idea of tip jars in any public place on board a ship - where will it end - at the door of the Elite lounge drinks, at the Captains Club celebration etc etc. Of course the recipient smiles, but .......................

That is certainly your opinion to dislike a tip jar. HOWEVER, the person who received the proceeds was ALL SMILES. Therefore I will continue to suggest it whenever and wherever I like.

But thank you for voicing your opinion.

When we had a wine tasting on Constellation in 2010, it was held in one of the alcoves in the MDR. The Concierge set it up. We had fruit, cheese, and crackers. There was a table with ice buckets to hold wines that required chilling. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Thanks Olive! We hadn't thought of the MDR as a venue. Great idea! Cheers, Rosie

We had about 20 guests for party in the Eclipse PH [and many more for an end of Cabin Crawl for a shorter time] and have also sail a few times in an M-class RS so I am trying to picture what it would be like. Certainly 25 people would not all be able to sit down at the same time and the space is not really organised in a way that all 25 could easily be in one group. So, it really depends on whether you were having a formal wine tasting where everyone tasted the same wine at the same time or not. 25 people just drinking a few wines and milling out onto the balcony would work. 25 people standing around in one group with different wines being passed out at the same time is unlikely to. I think that you would be passing glasses down a chain. Have a great wine tasting.

Thanks p-gal... I think you are right that 25 might be too many for a RS. Thank you for the advice! Cheers, Rosie

Do you think it is appropriate to ask the butler or Michaels club for help with invitations to a roll call wine tasting? Or do you think I should bring some with me? ~25 folks 13 different cabins. Thanks! Cheers, Rosie

Do you think it is appropriate to ask the butler or Michaels club for help with invitations to a roll call wine tasting? Or do you think I should bring some with me? ~25 folks 13 different cabins. Thanks! Cheers, Rosie

Rosie

I have brought my own but was involved in helping organise a friend PH party and, in that case, the butler arranged for invitations to be produced and sent out.

As far as who to involve, I would use the butler. Sometimes the Events Organiser and/or Chief Housekeeper like to get involved, butlers can appear to feel that their territory is being invaded. We have smoothed ruffled feathers by making it clear that we did not involve them. I do have concerns that, at this stage, the demarcation lines between butler' and Michael's Club Concierges' duties are not clearly defined.