Suite Private Party

cruisefreaks

However, I do stand by my view that large parties on embarkation day should not be agreed to given the current staffing levels on Celebrity, where butlers are looking after far more suites than before.

Curious to know where you get this data from. As you may notice I'm a data hound with stuff like this.

What has been the reduction in the butler staff an over what time period?

S class ships have 66 cabins needing butlers (Eclipse data). M class have 48 (based on Summit).

I'd expect a butler to handle about 15 or so cabins each, based on my observations on various hospitality and entertainment related venues, though have no idea what the real number is. Realistically their busy period is morning breakfast, afternoon snacks and in suite dining for those who elect it. On Summit from San Juan, I noticed only 1 cabin in my hallway do dinner service, it was during my farewell party, so I was watching the hallways. So dinner service is generally not really a perk used by people (I have never ordered dinner in suite).

Curious to know where you get this data from. As you may notice I'm a data hound with stuff like this.

What has been the reduction in the butler staff an over what time period?

S class ships have 66 cabins needing butlers (Eclipse data). M class have 48 (based on Summit).

I'd expect a butler to handle about 15 or so cabins each, based on my observations on various hospitality and entertainment related venues, though have no idea what the real number is. Realistically their busy period is morning breakfast, afternoon snacks and in suite dining for those who elect it. On Summit from San Juan, I noticed only 1 cabin in my hallway do dinner service, it was during my farewell party, so I was watching the hallways. So dinner service is generally not really a perk used by people (I have never ordered dinner in suite).

When someone says they are hosting parties every night it might not leave a lot of time for others.

Don't you think that the butlers should be the ones to say when they are over extended?....I think most butlers are under utilized....and if one has a heavy load another can I am sure be found to help him out. these things are his job...I feel the problem is just that most westerners ....especially Americans are not used to this type of personal service

I do so agree with you and wish I had thought to make the point myself. Suite guest MUST understand that not only are you not the only guests being looked after by your butler BUT he is entitled to his time off as well. Most will not say no if you ask them to do something when they are not scheduled to work and it is so unfair to be so inconsiderate.

Don't you think that the butlers should be the ones to say when they are over extended?....I think most butlers are under utilized....and if one has a heavy load another can I am sure be found to help him out. these things are his job...I feel the problem is just that most westerners ....especially Americans are not used to this type of personal service

Do you have a lot of experience with Celebrity butlers? What do you expect from them since you are used to personal service?

Did I say I was used to personal service.....I don't believe that I said that nor implied it.....and I have seen many posts here where people have said that they did not use the butlers services or did only very lightly....or even could not figure out why they should need a butler. and You don't know that the butler is overworked you just think he may be.....I would think that if any request was made that was something that would detract from the other guests or was outside his accepted duties he would be professional enough to say so. They are not pets to be coddled..they are hospitality professionals.

And to be honest, and I am not trying to be mean....but, if I were a butler ...reading posts like that I would be offended...I would feel that YOU thought the butler was like one of the lower orders that needed to be protected by his betters. That's really how it sounds to me just a bit condescending.....and I am sure you are well meaning but, a bit misguided....in my opinion

Do you have a lot of experience with Celebrity butlers? What do you expect from them since you are used to personal service?
Edited by LabGuy64

Curt.....

I had a question....how crowded did it get in the PH hosting 75?......was it a comfortable number or would you suggest another number as a better fit for the space?....in your opinion of course

Did I say I was used to personal service.....I don't believe that I said that nor implied it.....and I have seen many posts here where people have said that they did not use the butlers services or did only very lightly....or even could not figure out why they should need a butler. and You don't know that the butler is overworked you just think he may be.....I would think that if any request was made that was something that would detract from the other guests or was outside his accepted duties he would be professional enough to say so. They are not pets to be coddled..they are hospitality professionals.

And to be honest, and I am not trying to be mean....but, if I were a butler ...reading posts like that I would be offended...I would feel that YOU thought the butler was like one of the lower orders that needed to be protected by his betters. That's really how it sounds to me just a bit condescending.....and I am sure you are well meaning but, a bit misguided....in my opinion

I only asked you a couple of questions that you didn't answer.

Far from being condescending, I treat the staff as equals who are due basic consideration, as we all are. Yes, they are hospitality professionals, not personal slaves. The thought would never even enter my mind

that they are "lower order", whatever that means. Many of the staff and crew on board Celebrity ships have excellent educations and are taking the opportunity to save some money and travel before going home to start their own businesses or continue to pursue another profession.

There are also many who consider this their life work and are proud to do it.

If you could point out anything I said that is condescending, I would like to see it.

Well, I did answer your question......one I answered your assumption on the personal service issue by saying that I was not overly familiar with personal service on that level. And, no I have no insight into Celebrity butlers

But, they (as I stated before) are there yo do these very things...serve at parties, handle scheduling and making reservations, wardrobe issues, food service and anything else (within reason) to make your cruise more enjoyable. as to the condescention.....it is how your attitude seems...that you feel the need to make sure that the workload is not to hard for them to handle and still have time for the others on the passengers....But, I stated it all before....I thought I was quite clear. but, I you don't see it I won't continue beating a dead horse.

I only asked you a couple of questions that you didn't answer.

Far from being condescending, I treat the staff as equals who are due basic consideration, as we all are. Yes, they are hospitality professionals, not personal slaves. The thought would never even enter my mind

that they are "lower order", whatever that means. Many of the staff and crew on board Celebrity ships have excellent educations and are taking the opportunity to save some money and travel before going home to start their own businesses or continue to pursue another profession.

There are also many who consider this their life work and are proud to do it.

If you could point out anything I said that is condescending, I would like to see it.

I wonder if the butlers sometimes feel they're in a catch-22. If they tell a guest that something can't be done, I think there are some guests who would then make a complaint. Actually, I KNOW that that has happened.

I've only had a Butler once - and that was in a Sky Suite. Our Butler - upon hearing that we were the last cabin on our CC cabin crawl took it upon himself to get us comped champagne, oj, glasses and snacks. He had it set up perfectly and stayed to serve. He loved doing it and we loved having him do it - we did tip him $100 for that service - which he appreciated.

So it isn't just the higher end suites that get the amazing service. I do think that to have a huge party on embarkation day is a bit much, but that is just me. I know that our Butler went above and beyond for us, often surprising us with things - but I think he ran himself ragged between many suites and they were on multiple floors. Yes they are there to serve us - but be considerate - not only of them but of other guests.

Curt.....

I had a question....how crowded did it get in the PH hosting 75?......was it a comfortable number or would you suggest another number as a better fit for the space?....in your opinion of course

It felt almost open. It could easily accommodate 150, especially since so many spend the time on the large verandas.

I counted the seating in an M-class Penthouse yesterday to answer an email to someone. There is "seating" for 32 people in an m-class PH inclusive of all chairs in the cabin and veranda.

Thanks,

very good to know....How did you handle beverages?...wine (or beverages of any type) can get pretty pricey for 100 people

It felt almost open. It could easily accommodate 150, especially since so many spend the time on the large verandas.

I counted the seating in an M-class Penthouse yesterday to answer an email to someone. There is "seating" for 32 people in an m-class PH inclusive of all chairs in the cabin and veranda.

Yes, Lab Guy, 75 people can be easily accommodated. We had over 120 in our "INCONSIDERATE" sailaway PIPH last November.

You know what, project gal? I have been called many things in my 64 years on this earth; but INCONSIDERATE wasn't one of them... until now. But I will brush it off, since you don't know me from the man in the moon.

If you feel the need to go easy on your Butler, have at it, missy. That is certainly YOUR CHOICE. I hope you aren't on the Oct 27, 2016 Infinity cruise, because there will be yet another PIPH that I'll be hosting.

Okay then. Have a nice day, everyone....

I wonder if the butlers sometimes feel they're in a catch-22. If they tell a guest that something can't be done, I think there are some guests who would then make a complaint. Actually, I KNOW that that has happened.

Totally agree, the expectations of some here are from my perspective amazing, but then again I think there is something in our British psyche which has conditioned us to be different in terms of what we might ask others to do

Edited by uktog

Thanks,

very good to know....How did you handle beverages?...wine (or beverages of any type) can get pretty pricey for 100 people

I ordered 5 bottles of Domain Chandon thru gifts by celebrity, had the bottle you get for free, carried on my 2 (as well as packed 2 --- SHHHH don't tell anyone, you can get 4 bottles on).

Then in my invites I told guests

the sail-away would be immediately after muster drill. Light refreshments and a champagne toast will be provided, please stop and visit your favorite friendly bartender on your way to get a drink! Anyone who may happen to be in a cabin that provides a bottle of bubbly, please feel free to bring and share!

About 1 in 4 brought a bottle to share, and as people needed drinks someone would gather sea pass cards and make a bar run.

I am sure it will be a great party.....and that your butler will be more than capable of arrainging it

Yes, Lab Guy, 75 people can be easily accommodated. We had over 120 in our "INCONSIDERATE" sailaway PIPH last November.

You know what, project gal? I have been called many things in my 64 years on this earth; but INCONSIDERATE wasn't one of them... until now. But I will brush it off, since you don't know me from the man in the moon.

If you feel the need to go easy on your Butler, have at it, missy. That is certainly YOUR CHOICE. I hope you aren't on the Oct 27, 2016 Infinity cruise, because there will be yet another PIPH that I'll be hosting.

Okay then. Have a nice day, everyone....

Well if they won't say anything then we can't know.....I prefer to thing they can accomodate our needs until they are willing to say otherwise.....and there are other ways they could address the issue. thay could go to their supervisor and bring up the issue and let him or her bring up the issue sayin that due to a large number of parties in the suites we are asking that numbers be kept below 50...or that they be held on certain days to accomodate the workload......there are many ways to deal with it.

Very nice.......I will keep that in mind. Sounds like a good way to go

I ordered 5 bottles of Domain Chandon thru gifts by celebrity, had the bottle you get for free, carried on my 2 (as well as packed 2 --- SHHHH don't tell anyone, you can get 4 bottles on).

Then in my invites I told guests

About 1 in 4 brought a bottle to share, and as people needed drinks someone would gather sea pass cards and make a bar run.

Just speak to your butler and he will set out a nice spread. We've had up to 20 in our suite. Shrimp cocktails, cheese tray, fruit, canapés, drinks, etc. they'll even do a cake if you ask. Small fee for cake, but I don't remember paying extra for other items. Just tip your butler well at end of cruise! He will be most appreciative. Usually they stop by and ask if you need anything refilled.

Sheri

Hi folks! Thanks for all the info on holding parties in staterooms! We will be hosting a wine tasting party for a CC event in a couple of weeks on the Summit. We have a royal suite and about 25 have RSVPed. Do you think we can manage that many in a RS? Or should we request an alternative location from Celebrity Concierge/Michael's Club? Do you think it is reasonable to request both white and red wine glasses for each guest? What are your thoughts on an appropriate tip for the butler? How did you handle sending invitations? Thank you in advance for any advice you may have! Cheers, Rosie

I have not done a party...but, others have put outtip jars for the butler at the parties...of course, some of the parties were over 100 people

We have also hosted parties in our suite. We have had as many as 40 for pre-dinner wine and appetizers. We purchased the wine and had bought some chips and dips on shore. The butler has always comp'ed the Cheese Platters and Shrimp. He was also nice enough to deliver the invitations to each of the guest.

As with other things each butler has their own personality. The best one we ever setup the ice buckets wine and glasses, greeted the guests at the door, served the wine and was happy to shoot pictures for guests. The wonderful part was after returning from dinner the place was immaculately cleaned and the suite was set up for breakfast.

The next morning he told us that he really enjoys being able to entertain.

We of course always show our appreciation by properly leaving him an extra gratuity at the end of the cruise.

Hi folks! Thanks for all the info on holding parties in staterooms! We will be hosting a wine tasting party for a CC event in a couple of weeks on the Summit. We have a royal suite and about 25 have RSVPed. Do you think we can manage that many in a RS? Or should we request an alternative location from Celebrity Concierge/Michael's Club? Do you think it is reasonable to request both white and red wine glasses for each guest? What are your thoughts on an appropriate tip for the butler? How did you handle sending invitations? Thank you in advance for any advice you may have! Cheers, Rosie

When we had a wine tasting on Constellation in 2010, it was held in one of the alcoves in the MDR. The Concierge set it up. We had fruit, cheese, and crackers. There was a table with ice buckets to hold wines that required chilling.

Concierge also arranged for a wine steward to handle the putting out and picking up of the required glasses. Knowing this in advance, we once again brought out a TIP jar to compensate him for his time. It appears that most folks who sail on Celebrity are generous, because the wine steward had a big smile on his face when we presented him with a nice

gratuity....

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

We had about 20 guests for party in the Eclipse PH [and many more for an end of Cabin Crawl for a shorter time] and have also sail a few times in an M-class RS so I am trying to picture what it would be like.

Certainly 25 people would not all be able to sit down at the same time and the space is not really organised in a way that all 25 could easily be in one group. So, it really depends on whether you were having a formal wine tasting where everyone tasted the same wine at the same time or not. 25 people just drinking a few wines and milling out onto the balcony would work. 25 people standing around in one group with different wines being passed out at the same time is unlikely to. I think that you would be passing glasses down a chain.

As long as you give your butler a little notice, wine glasses should be no problem. He may even find a sommelier or bar man willing to help.

As for tipping, personally, I would not like to use a tips jar. JMHO, of course. The bar man should be tipped on the day [because he/she will be doing it in their spare time - it is not part of their day job]. Usually , you would compensate your butler at the end of the cruise and take into consideration all the extras he did for you. [if he has used another butler to help out in anyway - helping set up, covering for when the butler is with you, etc - include sufficient to allow your butler to pass some compensation onto his colleague.] To determine what to tip we always start from the benchmark of the automatic tips for the cruise and decide a suitable multiple of this figure.

Have a great wine tasting.

A gratuity is a gratuity, no matter when, where, or how it is delivered. I have yet to have a recipient decline one because it was either ill-timed or not in the proper container.

The last time I checked, the method of presenting gratuities is STILL a personal preference; and I rather like MY method. Apparently, so do the recipients of my gratitude..

Just sayin'

A gratuity is a gratuity, no matter when, where, or how it is delivered. I have yet to have a recipient decline one because it was either ill-timed or not in the proper container.

The last time I checked, the method of presenting gratuities is STILL a personal preference; and I rather like MY method. Apparently, so do the recipients of my gratitude..

Just sayin'

No way was my comment about how to present a gratuity. I was saying that I would not ask my guests to pay the gratuity. But, then, I am not comfortable asking family to contribute if they comes to our house for Christmas.

As for the rest, the poster who asked the question wanted to know how other members have handled any additional gratuity. Why answering that question honestly should often anyone is beyond me.

I agree - if I ask you to a get together at my house and I engage help to deliver that event, I would not put a "tip" jar out. I am happy to ask someone in certain instances to "bring a bottle" but that is it.

I think to the OP is very wise, they can consider holding it in their suite, but the layout is not ideal for hosting an event of that size especially if you are trying to have a more structured wine tasting, so having it somewhere else might be wise.

I do not like the idea of tip jars in any public place on board a ship - where will it end - at the door of the Elite lounge drinks, at the Captains Club celebration etc etc. Of course the recipient smiles, but .......................