Virgin Atlantic- Fee to choose seat

TomTN

I guess everyone is going to this sooner or later. We are flying ATL to LHR in Sept on Virgin Atlantic using Delta Skymiles. If we choose our seats now it cost $40 per seat. Seats are chosen at checkin which happens up to 24 hours prior to the scheduled flight time.

So, do they ever open this up or should I just sit tight until the day before?

A great way to make money, but when I looked at the flight to choose seats I found that only 6 seats have been taken in the cheapo seats.

Virgin Atlantic simply copied a practice started by British Airways, along with adding horrendous "carrier-imposed fees" on mileage tickets. (They originally were called "fuel surcharges" but once BA got hauled into US federal court over it they just changed the name of the fees, not the practice.)

You probably won't get hurt by waiting until 24 hours before the flight; most people don't want to pay the seat fee.

Virgin Atlantic simply copied a practice started by British Airways, along with adding horrendous "carrier-imposed fees" on mileage tickets. (They originally were called "fuel surcharges" but once BA got hauled into US federal court over it they just changed the name of the fees, not the practice.)

You probably won't get hurt by waiting until 24 hours before the flight; most people don't want to pay the seat fee.

My thought too. Only six have chosen their seat so far.

Of course you won't be "hurt" waiting until 24 hours before flight time on an international flight, but you might end up separated and in middle seats at the back of the plane because you didn't want to pay $80 for advanced seat selection for FF tickets! This would be a no brainer for me. I don't like leaving my seating arrangement on a 9 hour flight to chance.

Of course you won't be "hurt" waiting until 24 hours before flight time on an international flight, but you might end up separated and in middle seats at the back of the plane because you didn't want to pay $80 for advanced seat selection for FF tickets! This would be a no brainer for me. I don't like leaving my seating arrangement on a 9 hour flight to chance.

Well that's why I don't recommend flying either Virgin Atlantic or BA. Don't know the OP's dates, but I'm pretty sure if they had AA miles instead of Delta SkyPesos, they could get to London on AA metal for fewer miles, no fuel surcharges, and with free seat selection. One makes choices.

Or, use the $80 for pre-flight anesthesia or a massage at ATL.

Well that's why I don't recommend flying either Virgin Atlantic or BA. Don't know the OP's dates, but I'm pretty sure if they had AA miles instead of Delta SkyPesos, they could get to London on AA metal for fewer miles, no fuel surcharges, and with free seat selection. One makes choices.

Or, use the $80 for pre-flight anesthesia or a massage at ATL.

AA flights from bna to London on 9-9 were the same milage as Delta. Delta fees were a little under $400. AA is $948. Travel time for AA is very long , and most of the AA saver fares require a airport change in NY. They have one good flight through mia, but the layover is only 56 minutes.

For once Delta is reasonable. I prefer to use AA miles when the price drops to 40K round trip or 20k one way.

If I am completely missing something(how to book AA) I would appreciate a point in the right direction.

We'll take our chances, and I'll report back if we are unable to get seats together.

$80:eek: OK I'm a cheapskate!:)

Edited by TomBeckCruise

AA flights from bna to London on 9-9 were the same milage as Delta. Delta fees were a little under $400. AA is $948. Travel time for AA is very long , and most of the AA saver fares require a airport change in NY. They have one good flight through mia, but the layover is only 56 minutes.

For once Delta is reasonable. I prefer to use AA miles when the price drops to 40K round trip or 20k one way.

If I am completely missing something(how to book AA) I would appreciate a point in the right direction.

We'll take our chances, and I'll report back if we are unable to get seats together.

$80:eek: OK I'm a cheapskate!:)

The high fees are imposed when you pick BA-operated flights over the water. On all-AA metal the fees between the US and London (eastbound, not westbound*) are $5.60 vs. hundreds for BA's horrible surcharges, which Virgin has mimicked. So while the mileage requirement is the same, the VALUE of the miles is much reduced by flying BA or VS metal vs. AA or DL. I would think this is important for a cheapskate. ;)

*Westbound everybody pays UK air passenger duty extortion, on TOP of any surcharges imposed by BA or VS.

The high fees are imposed when you pick BA-operated flights over the water. On all-AA metal the fees between the US and London (eastbound, not westbound*) are $5.60 vs. hundreds for BA's horrible surcharges, which Virgin has mimicked. So while the mileage requirement is the same, the VALUE of the miles is much reduced by flying BA or VS metal vs. AA or DL. I would think this is important for a cheapskate. ;)

*Westbound everybody pays UK air passenger duty extortion, on TOP of any surcharges imposed by BA or VS.

When I take BA out of the AA Saver flights the charge is the same for both Delta and AA. $395. Is that what you would expect? So maybe there is no extra charge by VS???? (Eastern flight) The Delta flights are much better time wise and connection wise.

Thanks for the explanation. I have heard BA is expensive, but I have not flown to the UK before or on BA.

FWIW I am cancelling my AM EX sky miles card. It was great 15 years ago when I built several houses yearly, and I charged the materials on it. I was really surprised to find these flights at these prices. In general I have not been happy with sky pesos value for several years.

SkyPesos have three strong areas for use. To Australia/NZ, to Tahiti and to China/Asia. Other places, there are better options.

The first area is mostly due to the partnership with Virgin Australia, which provide a goodly number of award seats, especially on the flights from LAX to Brisbane (BNE). For those willing to make the connection in Australia, it's a good play.

The second is due to partnership with Air France and Air Tahiti Nui, who are the two carriers from LAX to PPT.

The third is a result of partnering with seemingly everyone in China. There is often award space to Asia on China Southern or China Eastern when you find nothing on DL itself.

To Europe, nowhere near as good as Star. To South America, oneWorld is the leader.

Take a look at switching to the Starwood card from Amex if you want to keep an Amex card. Very versatile points, plus you get a 20% bonus when transfering points to airlines. And the "nights and flights" option provides a huge "bang for buck" giving you miles and hotel nights.

When I take BA out of the AA Saver flights the charge is the same for both Delta and AA. $395.
Assuming that's for two, and assuming also that you're booking round trips, then the $395 is mostly the UK Air Passenger Duty departure tax, which is charged whenever you depart the UK (but waived if you simply transit the UK between flights.) For coach seats, the fee is £71 per person, for premium economy or higher, £142. The UK also has a "passenger service charge" (a different tax) that also applies to departures, £42 per person. So you're looking at £113 per person cheapest, x 2 x the exchange rate, plus some US taxes and fees, = $395.