Cabin Rules for 14 YO and 10 YO

jschwimmer

We are planning a family cruise. 2 adults and 2 children age 14 and 10. I'd like to get two connecting cabins, but I honestly prefer an inside cabin. Most lines do not seem to have connecting inside cabins. Carnival says that a 14 year old can stay across the hall or next door to parents in a non- connecting cabin. The other lines (RCL, NWG) say all children under 18 have to be in a connecting cabin. I just want a reality check.

1) Safety. My kids are pretty good and responsible. They would not leave a separate room at night. But still not sure if it is a good idea to have them next door in a non-connecting cabin.

2) Reality. Even though RCL and NWG say each cabin must have an adult, I presume I can book the two cabins and have a child and an adult in each one. I doubt a cabin steward is going to do a bed check to make sure. Again, I dont want to run afoul of cruise ship 'police' and get booted for breaking rules.

Any thoughts would be great. Leaning towards paying the extra for connecting outside rooms, but I would love to save a buck by having two insides.

Thank you.

You can book 1 adult in each room, and switch it up when you board...everyone does that.

I wouldn't mind kids that age in a cabin next door to me....they are closer than they are at home, in their bedrooms! Assuming you can trust your kids, it will be fine! You just have to lay the ground rules....like NO ONE...EVER...comes into their cabin without your ok!! They do NOT leave the cabin without telling you....EVER...

If you feel ok with that...there shouldn't be any problems! You can use the cabin phone, if you don't want to go in the hall.

Whether the children are competent to be left, only you can decide. Though as long as they have their own bedroom(s) at home and are not prone to sleepwalking, there won't be a problem.

As far as "stranger danger" is concerned, it isn't an issue. It is physically impossible for anyone to molest two oldish children at the same time in a room with thin walls and hundreds of people in shouting distance.

Take the two insides. We travel with responsible children the same age. we get a balcony and get the kids an inside across the hall. We have had no problems. We set the rule that our kids do not leave or return to the cabin alone. We also have guest services make an extra key for our kids so they can get into our room if they need us. We have never had an issue. You will have to book one adult and one child in each room, but as others have said you can switch onboard.

The problem I would have would be bedtimes. When my oldest was 14 on a cruise, she met new friends, and would be either at the teen club or pool deck pretty late. It would be a hassle to have the 10 year old stay with you in the cabin until the teen turned in for the night, or for the teen to have to end the evening early to babysit. We have 5 kids, and always did connecting, leaving the connecting door open.

Thank you for the reality check. I really appreciate the response about the teen wanting to go to the teen club and stay out late. The younger one goes to bed earlier.

I think we could make the two non-connecting cabins work. I am more of an early bird like my 10 year old (soon to be 11) son. Mom and Daughter are night owls and honestly can sleep through anything.

I like the idea of getting extra keys for each room so access is easier.

It's much easier to make plans now... thank you.