Please share info of taking a Bosphorus cruise in Istanbul or ferry ride

We will dock in Istanbul on a Friday at 4:30 overnight and leave the next day at 5pm. Plan to do some DIY sightseeing on the second day. Since we only have a short afternoon the first day, the ship offers a one hour cruise on the Bosphorus which sounds interesting, but charging $80 per person for a one hour cruise. I looked on the internet to try to find some independent cruise lines that offer that tour, but most of them are during the day, and I want to save the next day to see the major sites. I don't need a "dinner cruise" either, would rather see the scenery when there is still a bit of day light before it's dark. I notice there are ferries that go around, but have trouble looking for the schedule, and the routes. Has anyone taken a ferry that goes around that waterway, perhaps even go to the Asia side? Please share any DIY info on Istanbul regarding how to maximize the time to see the Blue Mosque, Haigre Sofia, the Grand Bazaar, the Topiapi Palace, and the Hippodrome. Is there a convenient place to change money to Turkish Liras near the cruise terminal? Thanks in advance.

We will dock in Istanbul on a Friday at 4:30 overnight and leave the next day at 5pm. Plan to do some DIY sightseeing on the second day. Since we only have a short afternoon the first day, the ship offers a one hour cruise on the Bosphorus which sounds interesting, but charging $80 per person for a one hour cruise. I looked on the internet to try to find some independent cruise lines that offer that tour, but most of them are during the day, and I want to save the next day to see the major sites. I don't need a "dinner cruise" either, would rather see the scenery when there is still a bit of day light before it's dark. I notice there are ferries that go around, but have trouble looking for the schedule, and the routes. Has anyone taken a ferry that goes around that waterway, perhaps even go to the Asia side? Please share any DIY info on Istanbul regarding how to maximize the time to see the Blue Mosque, Haigre Sofia, the Grand Bazaar, the Topiapi Palace, and the Hippodrome. Is there a convenient place to change money to Turkish Liras near the cruise terminal? Thanks in advance.

We got back 3 days ago, on April 3,2015 from Istanbul. Your arriving 4:30/pm means hitting rush hour but still having a shot at taking a ferry ride before darkness...similar to Staten Island Ferry in NYC. We took Ferry rides from Galata Bridge area to Asia side in Morning and early evening. If you can walk briskly I'd say if you take a Public Ferry to Asian side for about $1/Dollar for sensational views of Blue Mosque etc etc. you will get your 'Ferry Fix' as it's a highlight of Istanbul. Skip a long Bosphorus Tour with your very tight time frame. Ferries run constantly, it will take 20/min. each way including the Ferry's turnaround of 5minutes or so. Ferry kiosks sell tickets for the Ferry turnstiles so have 1Lira coins etc etc. Surely your Ship Front Desk will exchange Dollars for Turkish Lira, but for serious Money go to an ATM nearby... Maybe break some into Lira coins when buying a Coke or whatever in a street stall?? GOOGLE up Istanbul Ferry for more info.??

Day 2 maybe Grab a map and walk across Galata Bridge then walk uphill to Old Istanbul for a gawk at the Blue Mosque and then plunge into the Grand Bazaar and Spice Market area on the way back?? You'll be pleasantly tired upon arriving back at the ship. Have fun. Locomotiveman Tom

I notice there are ferries that go around, but have trouble looking for the schedule, and the routes. Has anyone taken a ferry that goes around that waterway, perhaps even go to the Asia side?
Here are the schedules: Istanbul ferry timetables

To cross over to the Asian side, I would recommend a ferry that goes to Kadıköy. You can leave from and return to either end of the Galata bridge (Karaköy, which is the end near the ship, or Eminönü, which is the end near the Old Towb). This is a nice ride to take in the evening, too, so I wouldn't necessarily worry about rushing to do it in the daylight. You could take the tram after your ship docks to the Spice Market, walk around that area for a while, and then take the ferry from Eminönü to Kadıköy (there is a whole row of ferry terminals at Eminönü, be sure to find the one that says "Kadıköy"). Visit Kadıköy, then take the ferry back to Karaköy, and walk back to the ship.

You will be crossing the Bosphorus, but you will only be seeing the Istanbul end of the Bosphorus. When people talk about doing a Bosphorus cruise, they usually mean going up towards the Black Sea. This is a lovely excursion, with lots of interesting things to see and stops to make along the way, but it takes several hours, so you will have to wait until your next trip to do that!

Here is a map to help you visualize everything: Ferryboat Map

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Thank you Locomotiveman and Kawkeyetlse for replying my post.

Kawkeyetlse: The ship docks at 4pm. If we get to the Karakoy ferry dock by 5, do you think we can take the ferry to Kadikoy on the Asia side, take a very quick look, then take the ferry from Kadikoy to Eminonu, and take the "Bosphorus cruise" that goes north on the strait so we can see the sights along that portion?I think the last ferry that makes the 1.5 hour round trip leaves at 7pm. I guess that depends on how long is the ferry ride from Karakoy to Kadikoy, and from Kadikoy to Eminonu, and what how often do they run? I know it's crazy to try to squeeze both routes in, but we would like to touch on the Asia side so we can say we have been to the "Asia side". (It's silly, but that's the way it goes...) I think we would have a tight schedule the next day, so would like to get the ferry thing done on the first evening. How long would it take to tour through the Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, and Hagia Sophia? The Bazaar and spice market we would do last, because we want to give the other 3 major sites first priority and if we have to rush through the bazaar we can live with that.

They all close by 5pm, so the first evening really does not give us too much options except to do the ferry ride!

I haven't been to Istanbul, but have been researching it. I, also, am interested in doing a boat ride up toward the Black Sea (but not all the way). Then our cruise line changed the tour they're providing as part of the cruise deal from a Blue Mosque etc. tour to another mosque plus the boat tour. Some people complained bitterly and asked why we were going on a boat ride when we were getting off a cruise line that had docked in Istanbul. However, I had just read the Rick Steves description of the ride and found it to be pretty interesting, so that seemed like a nice way to spend the afternoon!

If you decide to take one of these boat rides, you might want to get Rick Steves' book on Istanbul (or perhaps read some of it online) to get a preview of what you might see. Of course, while coming in to dock, I hear you'll pass not too terribly far from, and be able to see at least a little of, the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, etc., so you might want to be on deck for that! I think it's about a half hour at most from when you get to the cruise dock.

Kawkeyetlse: The ship docks at 4pm. If we get to the Karakoy ferry dock by 5, do you think we can take the ferry to Kadikoy on the Asia side, take a very quick look, then take the ferry from Kadikoy to Eminonu, and take the "Bosphorus cruise" that goes north on the strait so we can see the sights along that portion?I think the last ferry that makes the 1.5 hour round trip leaves at 7pm. I guess that depends on how long is the ferry ride from Karakoy to Kadikoy, and from Kadikoy to Eminonu, and what how often do they run?

I think the Bosphorus tour is better in the daylight, so I would suggest that you do that first. You can do the ferry ride to the Asian side after you get back, in the early evening. The trip takes about 30-40 minutes one way and there are ferries every 15 or 20 minutes. If you want to stay after the last ferry, you can also take the metro + Marmaray light rail under the Bosphorus back to Sirkeci, then the tram back to the ship.

• 3 weeks later...

may i ask some advice on istanbul travel ?.we dock on a friday morning at 7 am at the cruise terminal ,our hotel is on the asian side in kadikoy there will be 4 adults with luggage what would you consider our best transfer option ? also we are flying home monday morning from attaturk airport at 8 am any transfer advice for that ? we aim to sightsee friday pm and all day sat and sunday and i expect will use ferry and metro ,what are taxis like tho ?any help and advice most welcome :)

I think the Bosphorus tour is better in the daylight, so I would suggest that you do that first. You can do the ferry ride to the Asian side after you get back, in the early evening. The trip takes about 30-40 minutes one way and there are ferries every 15 or 20 minutes. If you want to stay after the last ferry, you can also take the metro + Marmaray light rail under the Bosphorus back to Sirkeci, then the tram back to the ship.

Another option for the evening is to catch a performance of Whirling dervishes. We found out about one from flyers on the street that was held in a large room at the train station. minimum cost and something that is amazing! Don't know if this something that is held all the time, but a little bit of Googling should be able to dig up some info.

We took a day excursion from the ship to the Asia side and visited the summer palace. Nice, but it's one of those tours that I wished I would have skipped and used my time to do other things on my own. I can say that I have been to Asia, but I really would have liked to have had more time in the Bazaar.

We have been to Istanbul quite a few times (on both cruises and land) and would not even recommend wasting a few hours of a short port call on the Bosphurus. If you really want to see Istanbul from the sea just be on deck when you arrive and depart :). With the limited time you have we would suggest spending it in the main tourist part of the city where the main (and wonderful) sites such as Topkapi Palace, Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Covered (Grand) Bazaar, Spice Market, catacombs, etc., etc. can not even be fully enjoyed in such a short time.

Hank

may i ask some advice on istanbul travel ?.we dock on a friday morning at 7 am at the cruise terminal ,our hotel is on the asian side in kadikoy there will be 4 adults with luggage what would you consider our best transfer option ? also we are flying home monday morning from attaturk airport at 8 am any transfer advice for that ? we aim to sightsee friday pm and all day sat and sunday and i expect will use ferry and metro ,what are taxis like tho ?any help and advice most welcome :)

Taxis will be available at the cruise terminal, however for four people and luggage you might require two or even three taxis. We have used Efendi Travel transfers and been very pleased with their service. The link takes you to the airport transfer page, for other destinations just complete the form and they will email you with a price. Note that their prices are quoted in Euros. Inquire if you want to pay with a credit card or US dollars.

Taxis are problematic in Istanbul. Read this page from Turkey Travel Planner just so you are aware of the potential issues. Have Turkish lira for paying taxi drivers. That page shows a picture of taxis so you can gauge the capacity for your party and their luggage.

Metro and trams are very easy to use. Maps and other info here.

Two taxis from the cruise terminal to Kadıköy could be very expensive, especially if you take your chances with the taxis waiting for easy prey outside the terminal on disembarkation day. The cheapest way to get to Kadıköy is by public transport, but this may not be an option if you have lots of luggage and/or mobility issues. Many of the airport transfer services will also arrange minivans to and from the cruise port. Whatever you do, make your plans ahead of time so you are not walking off the ship into the claws of the first driver you see (or who sees you!)

You will also want to use a private transfer to get to Atatürk Airport on Monday morning. It is long way from Kadıköy to the airport, and I doubt that the public transport options start early enough to get you there in time for an 8am flight.

Guess I will ask a stupid question. Why on earth would you book a hotel on the Asian side? It does not make a lot of sense for most folks as the primary tourist sites (and restaurants) are on the European side as is the airport. Going across the bridge will just add to taxi fares, take you further away from most of the popular areas, etc etc. On all of our trips to Istanbul, we have never found a good reason to cross over to the Asian side other then to say "we went to Asia."

Hank

hi hank ty for your post ,and i see completely where your comming from with that ,our reasons for choosing a hotel in kadikoy were many it is surrounded by bars restaurants designers shopping and has the largest market in istanbul it is very close to the marina wich is fantastic to stroll through in the evening stopping for a meal or drink to see the views across the bosphorus ,it is also close to the fenerbache football stadium which i have wanted to visit for so long and is on the right side of the city for our family members who are flying back to new zealand from sabiha gokcen airport .the ferry to the other side is a 5 min walk thus we will get a couple of cruises a day :) the hotel itself has indoor pool and rooftop outdoor pool and every facility one would need my only concerns are timings for my 2 transfers cruise port -hotel and hotel-ataturk airport ,cost are of no worry as i am not paying a thing for the hotel which was the clincher !!:)

Edited by lemonjelly

We have a 7:30 a.m. flight, however, only have carry-ons... No luggage to check. How long once we get to the airport to get through all the process???? If anyone's been there, what would be a good time to arrange transport to have enough time not to be stressed??? Really appreciate any help from previous Istanbul travelers.

hi hank ty for your post ,and i see completely where your comming from with that ,our reasons for choosing a hotel in kadikoy were many it is surrounded by bars restaurants designers shopping and has the largest market in istanbul it is very close to the marina wich is fantastic to stroll through in the evening stopping for a meal or drink to see the views across the bosphorus ,it is also close to the fenerbache football stadium which i have wanted to visit for so long and is on the right side of the city for our family members who are flying back to new zealand from sabiha gokcen airport .the ferry to the other side is a 5 min walk thus we will get a couple of cruises a day :) the hotel itself has indoor pool and rooftop outdoor pool and every facility one would need my only concerns are timings for my 2 transfers cruise port -hotel and hotel-ataturk airport ,cost are of no worry as i am not paying a thing for the hotel which was the clincher !!:)

Thanks for posting this info. :). Makes sense. Enjoy your trip.

Hank