Cocktails at Blu?

peachynurse

Hello,

I apologize if this is a dumb question (I could not find any answers when I tried to search). We are booked in an Aqua room this Summer and we have the classic beverage package (may end up upgrading to premium on board).

When dining in Blu for breakfast and dinner, do they serve cocktails? Or is it just a selection of wine/beer? We like bloody marys for breakfast and martinis/specialty cocktails in the evening. If those drinks are not available at Blu, do we order them at a bar and then take them into Blu with us?

Thanks in advance for your help!

You can order every kind of cocktail in Blu durning a meal service, that you can do in any other dinning venue.

ps: You can take an unfinished one in with you too.

And out.

Drink up 🍻🍺🍸🍷🍹

We have ordered cocktails in Blu in the evenings. At breakfast we have not. After breakfast we go to the Tuscan Grille for the Elite event and have bloody mary's and mimosa. Tuscan Grille and Blu share the same bar space. So yes you should be able to have drinks in the mornings.

Thank you, everyone, for all the helpful responses! We aren't big drinkers, but we will be on our honeymoon and were able to take advantage of the 123go promo free beverage package :) Thanks again for all the help! Cheers ;)

I think there's a difference between "can you get drinks" and "should I order a drink in blu which involves some understanding how they are staffed. When they are busy, the sommelier (note...no s on that word) and the waiters are very busy just taking orders, bringing wine/food etc. If you order a drink, one of them has to go to the bar (wherever it is) and order the drink...and then go back to bring it to you. Logistically, it really can effect lots of other folks who are waiting to order, get food, order/get wine. So yes, you can order but they really aren't staffed to get/serve drinks other than wine and specialty coffees...IMHO (others may disagree or just haven't noticed).

As a practical matter, most enjoy drinks at one of the bars before dinner and then drink wine at dinner....perhaps a bit different than dining out at home where you may get a table and then enjoy a drink before ordering dinner (and remember that there may be folks waiting for for a table for dinner while you are enjoying your pre-dinner drink).

I'm sure you'll quickly figure out what works on your cruise with your staff...and you'll have a great time. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by ghstudio

I have seen cocktails being served in Blu but rarely. We've never done it, as we load up at a bar prior to dinner. Having a drink at the dinner table is a nice prelude to a good meal but we rarely do it on board.

I drink (wine/cocktails/beer) but my partner does not drink (usually diet coke). When we are in Blu, I see that his soda does not come via the wine sommelier, but from someone else that is assisting. I would assume that this person would also take care of the cocktails if I were ordering those. I prefer to get my martinis (and consume them) at the Martini Bar. Then I stop at Cellar Masters on the way to Blu and pick up a glass of wine so that I have a drink to enjoy while I wait (and wait, and wait, and wait...) for the wine steward to show up to our table. As you can see, I adapt knowing the pitfalls of the service in Blu. This is more an issue because there is not sufficient coverage when the Blu dining room is busy.

So, the general consensus is that the bar service in Blu is not very speedy. Even when I give instructions to the wine steward early in the cruise about what I like and how I want my service, it can still be a challenge for them to follow through.

Edited by vulcan1971

My rum/coke on the Silhouette in 2013 never went empty in BLU in May 2013

I might be wrong, but I think Celebrity cut Blu staffing to one wine steward with no assistant in 2014...at least on the M-class ships. It seems that if enough complain, they seem to find an assistant on some cruises since then, but it's one of the areas where Celebrity has definitely cut personnel/service.

We would stop off in Cafe al Bacio on our way to Blu for breakfast and get a Americano to go. I would pour it into the cup on the table and it would fill it up 2 1/2 times. I like my coffee, because of getting that Americano every morning during our last cruise I bought a Jura Giga 5. The servers would always tell me that they can get that coffee for me. If I had to pay per cup it would make a difference but having a drink pack to didn't matter, it is I just don't like to wait for them to get me a refill because I basically inhale it. I normally had them get me another just to make them happy.

It would be the same in the evening when walking in with a drink. The wine server at first was disappointed on seeing us with a drink but knew that we also wanted wine and we always ordered after dinner drink to make them happy. Many times we walked out with them.

Short story long I don't think they are too busy to get drinks and are disappointed if don't order from them as it may affect their earnings.

Drink up 🍺🍻🍹🍷🍸

We have ordered plenty of cocktails, wine, soft drinks in Blu. They have on,y had one sommelier for some time, but generally they have at least one helper.

I'm not likely to order more than one cocktail but I will have more than one glass of wine, and then maybe a liqueur with coffee ... Yes, the staff are busy - but there are also plenty of times when the wine steward has hung out and chatted with us.