Wow. Lots of kids.

jeffdal

I definitely don't mind children on cruises, well behaved or other wise. What my DH and I have witnessed, and I'll NEVER understand, are young children, 1-2 AM, running in packs!!! What parents let their children run like this? To me, IMHO, if something were to happen, and you know what I mean, these parents would be the first to ask, ' How could this happen?' I guess I'm just from a different time.

I've asked this same question about parents locally that let their kids eat alone in a pizza place. Sure it was a local hangout. Sure we live in a nicer, pretty safe neighborhood. But these girls were around 10 YOs and in the 1-1/2 hours we were there we never saw one adult. Not in the restaurant and not lurking outside. My DD who was around 16 at the time said "mom, don't say anything!". I always gave my kids and now grand kids freedom but it was earned freedom and they were rarely allowed out of the house after 9:00pm ever. When my DD and DS turned 18 they both moved out and got their own places. I had already instilled their values.

My kids were also given freedom on the ship. If I had ever heard that did such a thing it would have been their last cruise. My firm rule was simple. I don't care where they go (well except for the obvious) but if I come looking for them they better be there. They move I better know about it. They were always there.

This scares the hell out of me! We're booked on a B2B our of Fort Lauderdale starting 29 Nov (which I think falls just outside of Thanksgiving holiday). Will we be OK in terms of hoards of kids? Can anyone advise?
You'll have to worry about senior citizens, not kids. And the problem is that you can't get away from them. There are no areas that you can enjoy on the ship that they're not allowed in.

Since DH teaches at a community, all of our recent cruises have been during his breaks--spring break, summer, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. I haven't had too many problems with kids since I know how to get away from them. We don't eat at the Horizon Court or watch MUTS. We stick to the adults only pools, trivia, meals in the dining rooms, etc.