just back from ochos rios

casharman

This was a very frustrating port for me and I plan on not taking another cruise with a Jamaica port in it ( we did falmouth last year and I felt the same) I did a lot of research and our plans were to find a pretty beach, rent some chairs , take a swim and order a little food and a drink . We were not interested in the 90 dollar all inclusives seeing that the other person in my party does not drink at all and I will only have one or two. The beaches right next to the port are very small and not very appealing because I cannot imagine the amount of solicitation we would of received from the locals. We planned on taking a cab to reggae beach (the all inclusive part is called bamboo beach) and pay the 10 dollars to get in. Its only 15 minutes away and a cab should of been reasonable. We get off the ship and we are bombarded by tour companies that want to charge us 60 dollars and up to get there. Maybe I am cheap but that seems like a lot. So we take a walk into town and are told by all policeman that we can not get a government tax. We figured out that they are the white cars that say "route taxis". So finally I flag down a taxi that was doping a local off and he tells me its 5 dollars to go there. Great. We drive there and are told by the guards that the resort is full and we cannot get get in . Do not understand why because it was only 11 in the morning and the forecast was horrible. There must of been a big group from one of the 2 ships in port. The guard suggested bamboo blue so we headed there but we actually went back to the ship because it started pouring . The other people with kids in our party did the blue hole and they loved it but they suggested to definitely have a tour company picked out before you get off the ship. I guess if i had to do it over again I would just settle with the close by beaches or do a bamboo beach tour. Hope this helps someone!

Just back from Jamaica 3 weeks ago and my experience was a lot different. I had a wonderful time and would go again in a heartbeat.

The thing I would recommend is to do some research before you get to the port and make arrangements before you arrive. This makes a world of difference vs. trying to figure it out as you go.

On another note: I realize everyone had different budget requirements but after spending the amount of money to take a cruise and get the ports I do not focus on trying to do the ports on the cheap. To me, this is one of the main reasons you cruise. For example, would I fly to Paris and just sit in the airport the entire time until my return flight left? :)

Again, just my opinion.

We stayed aboard the ship on the Ocho Rios port day. The clincher was when our ship got the "industrial port" slip rather than the tourist one.

That's a shame. There's a lot of really fun stuff to do and see in Jamaica. I agree completely with NightOne's comments. I cruise for the ports and am always flexible and well-informed about the port so that we have never had a bad day in any port! (Well, once due to weather, but I don't blame the port for that).

We have done both re-booked tours (excursions) and gone off on our own and had excellent times every time. Our favorite days have been spent on our own with a taxi driver. We negotiate a price, have them take us to their favorite local haunts, whether it be beaches, restaurants, shopping, mountaintop viewing, etc. Love chatting it up with the local Jamaicans. We have had, and look forward to many more good times on this island.

I know there are people who prefer to stay on the ships. The ship is their vacation, and I get it. Just not our style.

We stayed aboard the ship on the Ocho Rios port day. The clincher was when our ship got the "industrial port" slip rather than the tourist one.

The "industrial" is commonly referred to as the "Bond" port because that's where a James Bond movie was filmed.

It's a short walk or $5 (per taxi ... not pp) ride to the Island Village Shopping Center where Margaritaville is located.

LuLu

The "industrial" is commonly referred to as the "Bond" port because that's where a James Bond movie was filmed.

It's a short walk or $5 (per taxi ... not pp) ride to the Island Village Shopping Center where Margaritaville is located.

LuLu

Yes it's a very short walk:) We were just there. Took a private tour to Blue Hole waterfalls - INCREDIBLE. Then tubing on the river - beautiful. Then a GREAT lunch at Mama Marley's near the ship. Of four port stops on our cruise Jamaica was the best. People who stay on the ship don't know what they are missing..............:rolleyes:

We will be in Ocho Rios next summer on the Carnival Breeze. Anyone have any experience with Ziplining there and/or the River Tubing. We are traveling with 4 teens and young adults and try to make memories and like a little excitement.

We will be in Ocho Rios next summer on the Carnival Breeze. Anyone have any experience with Ziplining there and/or the River Tubing. We are traveling with 4 teens and young adults and try to make memories and like a little excitement.

Start a new thread or this question will be lost. Ask the question as a topic and you'll get lots of answers.

we were also in the same boat--wanted a cheap, safe beach for a few hours. IT worked out well for us. I found jaital tours online and booked Bamboo Blu Beach Club with shuttle from the port for $15PP. Chairs were $10. We were the only ones with Jaital for the day. We had a very nice day and liked the Jaital ladies very much. They accept school supplies, please bring some ifyou book with Jaital.

• 7 months later...
we were also in the same boat--wanted a cheap, safe beach for a few hours. IT worked out well for us. I found jaital tours online and booked Bamboo Blu Beach Club with shuttle from the port for $15PP. Chairs were $10. We were the only ones with Jaital for the day. We had a very nice day and liked the Jaital ladies very much. They accept school supplies, please bring some ifyou book with Jaital.

We just want a safe, secure beach at Ocho Rios - something on the lines of Doctors Cave Beach in MoBo which we love. Our ship does a trip to Bamboo Blu which we are inclined to book - but having looked at pictures of the beach I'm not sure what shade is available. We definitely need umbrellas - are there any available at Bamboo Blu?