Which side on Ncl gem

jib614

Starboard or port side on ncl gem going from ny to san juan, st thomas, st maartin and tortola. Which is best on a balcony?

Makes no difference. Each docking or tendering could be from either side depending on a number of factors on that GIVEN day. No way to know in advance how it will be down. Have a great cruise.

Starboard or port side on ncl gem going from ny to san juan, st thomas, st maartin and tortola. Which is best on a balcony?

We were on the starboard for this itinerary. Not only was it great for sail away through NY harbor, but pulling away from San Juan had great views of the island at night.

10603310_10152251644832676_9193252591993544291_n.jpg?oh=13c07ea4e8e7954efacb0fb619f4b0cd&oe=55B84CE8

Truly, it makes no difference. What you don't see from your balcony entering a port, you'll see when you depart. If it's nice weather, go topside and you can move from side to side. For taking pictures of the Statue of Liberty, the light is better coming back into port. It's often backlit by the sun when you sail down the Hudson on departures. You might have to get up early on the last day, but's worth it to get some spectacular photos.

As far as sightseeing not much difference. Leaving NY you will have the morning sun on the port side and afternoon on starboard. Returning vice versa.

If the cost difference is not prohibitive, consider an aft balcony. We had 10668 on the Gem to the Bahamas last summer. You can see everything on both sides during sailaway from NYC. Plus, the deck 10 aft balconies (maybe a couple of other decks, too) extend out far enough for lounge chairs. The wake is lovely while the ship is underway, too!

If the cost difference is not prohibitive, consider an aft balcony. We had 10668 on the Gem to the Bahamas last summer. You can see everything on both sides during sailaway from NYC. Plus, the deck 10 aft balconies (maybe a couple of other decks, too) extend out far enough for lounge chairs. The wake is lovely while the ship is underway, too!

I think only 1 aft cabin available on deck 8 and its $600 more so not sure if its worth it.

I think only 1 aft cabin available on deck 8 and its $600 more so not sure if its worth it.

Oh sheesh, sometimes they are just nuts with the price difference for the aft balconies! I think it only cost us about $80 or $100 more than a mid-ship for our Breakaway sailing, but we'd never pay anything near $600, either. I would definitely just go for a mid-ship, then. Just keep the aft in mind for the future when the price difference isn't so bad...we definitely got hooked on it :).

Oh sheesh, sometimes they are just nuts with the price difference for the aft balconies! I think it only cost us about $80 or $100 more than a mid-ship for our Breakaway sailing, but we'd never pay anything near $600, either. I would definitely just go for a mid-ship, then. Just keep the aft in mind for the future when the price difference isn't so bad...we definitely got hooked on it :).

I am constantly monitoring prices. Our balcony just came down 300. Got price adjusted and niw its back up 100. Its crazy

I am constantly monitoring prices. Our balcony just came down 300. Got price adjusted and niw its back up 100. Its crazy

Absolutely! I will be checking every day until final payment. Three days after we booked, I got a $400 price drop. That price lasted a couple of days. It started creeping back up, and now OVs are more than we paid for our aft balcony. You have to maintain constant vigilance to save a buck! ;)

Absolutely! I will be checking every day until final payment. Three days after we booked, I got a $400 price drop. That price lasted a couple of days. It started creeping back up, and now OVs are more than we paid for our aft balcony. You have to maintain constant vigilance to save a buck! ;)

Whats the date of your cruise? Is it the gem again?