Bus Tour or rent a car - Skagway to Yukon Border

twokids0204

We are looking at a bus tour to the Yukon Border. We are a family of 4.

It will cost close to $300.

I can get a rental car for substantially less.

Is there a big benefit to taking the Bus Tour? Is there really a lot of value added information that I'd miss out on if I did it on my own?

I'm assuming you want to go further than the border? Most recommended is Emerald Lake as the furthest point- 75 miles.

It is simple to go on your own, AND purchase Murray's Guide. Very detailed information with self driving. Set your trip odometer when in Skagway to keep better track of what you are reading.

Your mention of costs in your post, would lead me to believe a car rental is the best option for your family.

Allow 5 hours for the drive.

I highly recommend lunch at the Chilkoot Bakery in Carcross.

We have done the trip both ways - motor coach and rental car. By all means, rent a car. It is so much better since you can go at your own speed stopping when and where you want and for as long as you want. We used Murray's guide and it told us more than the guides did. It is an easy drive. No way of getting lost since there is one main road. Drive as far as Emerald lake which is beautiful. Be aware that you will need your passports with you since you will be crossing into Canada.

If you decide to rent a car don't wait since there aren't many for rent and get to the rental place early for the best selection. (it has been a while since we did this so things might have changed.)

Edited by judynorth

I went 4 times round trip with bus tours last year, plus 2 one way+ trips. In the past, I've also driven many times. So also have personal experience.

Judy give great advice, with the car rental. IF even a remote possibility, reserve- now. It is simple to cancel- with Avis if you change your mind. There are always people, lined up thinking they can get a walk up car, usually can not. It is of benefit to get in line early before 8am. At most they can only give service to 2 people at a time. Seem to be some extended waits with the additional questions some people have.

if you look at the 2014 trip reports (STICKY above), there's a photojournal on the last page from someone who has done the trips both ways. The photos and descriptions might help with your decision.

sorry, I mis-spoke; that photojournal is train vs car.

Still, the photos may help. You didn't indicate the age of your kids, but perhaps that will be a factor .... are they at an age where they might do better in a car so you can stop if needed to let them burn off energy?

sorry, I mis-spoke; that photojournal is train vs car.

Still, the photos may help. You didn't indicate the age of your kids, but perhaps that will be a factor .... are they at an age where they might do better in a car so you can stop if needed to let them burn off energy?

Nah, They are 11 and 13... They are happy with their tablets and music!

twokids0204 = Born in '02 and '04 ;)

Edited by twokids0204

My 16 yr old DD and I rented the car and we still say this was the best day *ever*! It was great to be away from the crowds, just the two of us - singing at the top of our lungs as we drove through the most majestic scenery we've ever seen. You won't regret it!! Be sure to book a reservation (we used Avis) and get there asap, there was a long line and lots of people without a reservation who were very disappointed.