Help!! Last-minute booking, Quantum 4/12/15

Myself, wife and two other couples were originaly on the Norwegian Star, Panama Canal 4/12/15 that got cancelled 4/6/15.

Couldn't change our travel dates or find another Panama Canal cruise same dates that worked.

Now we're all in Balcony cabins ( 3 ) on the Quantum.

We had months to prepare for NCL Star and that cruise.

We have days to prepare for this one on what is decidedly not a "traditional" cruise ship.

The problem is not so much planning as it is just not knowing the ship.

I need whatever tips you can give me.

Can't book Starwater online. Is it full for the ENTIRE cruise or is it just blocked out? I can book Mama Mia online.

Do I NEED to pack my tux or can I get away with black slacks and a black jacket for "formal"?

Beverage package, what & where? We went with the Premium because we were doing NCL's UPB which looked the same.

Thanks in advance for your help.

There is no formal night and the formal restaurant The Grande only requires a jacket, saw a few gentlemen in tuxes but not many.

We love NCL and found Quantum to be much like NCL with the booking for shows and dinners ect.

I would make a plan based on the shows.

Book Mama Mia now its so worth it. They do have a standby line and I am sure they all got seats.

If you are okay with eating early from what I saw getting in to a restaurant before 6 not much of a issue but 7-8 could be bad.

I highly recommend Jamie's. We ate there twice once for dinner and once for lunch its only 15 for lunch and made our embarkation day so much nicer.

1. Book as much dining as possible. On Day 1, go to the complimentary restaurants on Deck 3 / 4 to fix the ones that you couldn't book. They can fix it for all 4 complimentary restaurants there. They left some spaces for booking on board.

2. As the previous poster said, bring a jacket for Grande Restaurant's formal dining. Other restaurants are smart casual.

3. Book ifly and shows as much as possible.

4. Shore excursions: they have some spots left for on board booking. Go on Day 1 to get those.

5. Drink package: you can buy it on board. They have tables set up to sell it. You can also buy it at the bars. No worry on this one.

I have a bunch of tips for Quantum in the thread below. Hope it helps:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2190953

If you have to go standby, try waiting on the floor where they reserve seating for suite guest. It's usually the balcony. My experience was they open up those reserved seats to standby guest about 10 minutes or so before the show…..there was always plenty of premium seats available. There was also a mad dash by those coming in to grab those now open seats.

The view of the Statue of Liberty and Manhattan will be on the port side. You can see both within a few minutes of sail away. It takes about 20 minutes to get to the Verrazano Bridge. If it's too cold or windy to stay outside go to the Solarium, some of the windows on the side open up. Right now the weather for Sunday is looking good - sunny 65 degrees with a slight wind.

On embarkation day go to Cafe Two70 (it's on the same floor you enter the ship on)….they have salads made to order and great roast beef sandwiches. This is not a buffet. We didn't find any large crowds there earlier in the day.

The Windjammer (main buffet) was very crowded as they usually are on all ships.

Also, you don't have to arrive at your appointed time, ours was schedule for 12:45 - 1:15 PM. We arrived two hours early and was on the ship a little after 11 AM. No guarantee you won't have to wait. They board all other guest after the preferred boarding is done.

Enjoy the Quantum!

You are getting good advice across the board.

Stay out of the Windjammer on day 1. Try cafe 270 for lunch.

Short attention span activities - Dreamworks shows and appearances on the Esplanade. I'm not into "characters" so I was surprised at how much I enjoyed these "quickies". The same went for the quickie robo shows.

Get up early to go on the North Star.

Dining will sort itself out. Never had trouble before 7 pm. Check for daily specials.

You're on the 12 day cruise. Try to find where everything is the first two days. Be sure to find the outdoor seating at the back of the Windjammer. Hamburger and fries/onion rings is $4 at Johnny Rockets - you can grab a free iced tea or lemonade from the WJ.