Royal v. Regal

k.squared1392

Here's a link to their Live thread just in case anyone has missed it...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2201992

:D

Thanks for linking to my "Live" thread! We're at Heathrow right now and I just posted a report on our last 2 days; will do at least one more on the topic of the Royal's entertainment. BTW, 3 large ships arrived at Southampton this morning: the Royal, Carib P, and Celeb Eclipse. So the airport is busier than usual!

Barb

Just off the Royal and loved the new designs on this ship! Only two disappointments. No aft pool and the food in the MDR. I know food is subjective, but our entire group of 6 was very disappointed, so I know it wasn't just me. Did we go hungry? No, just went to Alfredos and the buffet more often than the MDR

I'm sorry the MDR was not up to par. I have heard the buffet is really good for dinner. What did you think?

Just off the Royal and loved the new designs on this ship! Only two disappointments. No aft pool and the food in the MDR. I know food is subjective, but our entire group of 6 was very disappointed, so I know it wasn't just me. Did we go hungry? No, just went to Alfredos and the buffet more often than the MDR

I'm sorry the MDR was not up to par. I have heard the buffet is really good for dinner. What did you think?

Michelle...we got off the Regal last Saturday in Copenhagen after a 17 day TA from Ft. Lauderdale. We only ate dinner at the buffet one night (and a couple of late night nibbles) & enjoyed our other dinners in the MDR which to me was better than the buffet.

While the MDR courses can sometimes be disappointing to me those in the buffet had many more disappointments such as taste, being too dry & not warm enough. That's understandable to me being served in a buffet steamer pain & despite the great selection on our Royal & Regal cruises, we still prefer the food in the dining room. To me the odds of having better prepared hot tasty food in the MDR are better than at any buffet. Although for a quick meal with many choices the buffet is hard to beat. :)

As you know, either way no one leaves hungry & food is very subjective. ;)

We just returned from a 2-week TA on the Royal and thought the buffets were wonderful. We only eat in the MDR when lobster is on the menu so we eat "upstairs" most of the time. Every night there were so many choices for entrees-2 carvery meats, several fish, chicken, beef entres, many ethnic dishes. Cooked vegetables were limited, which was our only disappointment. They offered Mongolian BBQ once each week where you can pick from a variety of meats and vegetables, more spice if you want it; they then cook your food individually and the waitstaff delivers it a few minutes later. I like a salad at dinner or lunch and there are 3 separate salad areas in the HC, offering a variety of greens, toppings and dressings. For example, there is a dedicated Caesar salad area, where one can get bacon bits and croutons for your salad. Different types of seeds (sunflower, pumpkin) and nuts (almonds, walnuts) are available at other salad stations. BTW, dinner is only served in the HC; the HB is closed except for it's famous "Pastry Shop." Finally, Princess continues its theme nights in the HC with Italian and Bavarian nights.

Edited by BarbinMich