If anyone is currently on the TA on the Nieuw

envy4u

They only left Ft. Lauderdale just over 24 hours ago; how many are on Cruise Critic and how many of them opted to get internet access?

I can attest to the fact that the ship was pretty full as it sailed out. :D

Don't know if this is of any help but I was on the NA TA last April and some passengers near the stern did comment on the vibration-particularly when we had to go top speed and make an unplanned stop off Bermuda to disembark an ill passenger. I was midship and did not experience any vibration in my cabin.

It's a sea day and I am fully aware that it sailed away yesterday. Hopefully, someone onboard will report back soon.

The first of six sea days.

I am just suggesting chances are slim to get any response.

On board now; only minor troubles - AV troubles with sound during the first day's lectures; no navigation channel on the in-room TVs the first two. Can feel that the engines are running at a few places on decks 2/3, but not a big deal. Can't say this is Amy different than any other ship i have been on. New silicone paint apparently asked the ship to go 1-2 knots faster than before with the same amount of KWs to the azipods.

envy4u,

we got off the nieuw amsterdam a few weeks ago.

we were happy with the food...dining room was good for breakfast and dinner and had lunch everyday in the lido.

dive-in burgers are great...we mostly indulged in that and had delicious salads and soups.

the highlight of the entertainment was the b.b.king group playing at the queen's lounge and especially the wonderful island magic steel bad.. they did an afternoon show and one evening..definitely a great act..they must only play during caribbean cruises as they were just finihsing a 5 month contract before the ry dock..hope they'll be back in the fall.. everyone loved them.

even before the dry dock, we thought the ship was in great shape!!

Ms. Nieuw Amsterdam in Barcelona today, disembarking her passengers from first sailing after dry dock. How is she look after dry dock, how was the vibrations?

Our friends just boarded. He said food and drinks are great so far.

Off the Nieuw Amsterdam today in Barcelona. Great trip with calm seas, especially the first couple of days.

Some vibration felt in some areas, but it seemed to come and go.

New carpets in some areas. New TV system. Some kinks needed to be worked out, and they continued to add features thru the cruise. They are supposed to have the ability to review your bill on line soon.

New stage show cast and we saw a new show, Marquee. Very good. Problems with the props for the other new show and we did not get to see it.

Many of us found the music accompanying shows was too loud. Hard to hear the singers.

A few changes around the ship. The taco buffet is no longer near the pool, but part of a station in the Lido. Lido buffet has some changes. No longer able to make your own salad. They will dish out what you want. Fruit, muesli, cottage cheese, etc. are now in bowls, instead of helping yourself. The idea is to make it quicker. Grab and go. Pre made sandwiches instead of a sandwich bar.

No musician in the Crow's' Nest at night.

Off the Nieuw Amsterdam today in Barcelona. Great trip with calm seas, especially the first couple of days.

Some vibration felt in some areas, but it seemed to come and go.

New carpets in some areas. New TV system. Some kinks needed to be worked out, and they continued to add features thru the cruise. They are supposed to have the ability to review your bill on line soon.

New stage show cast and we saw a new show, Marquee. Very good. Problems with the props for the other new show and we did not get to see it.

Many of us found the music accompanying shows was too loud. Hard to hear the singers.

A few changes around the ship. The taco buffet is no longer near the pool, but part of a station in the Lido. Lido buffet has some changes. No longer able to make your own salad. They will dish out what you want. Fruit, muesli, cottage cheese, etc. are now in bowls, instead of helping yourself. The idea is to make it quicker. Grab and go. Pre made sandwiches instead of a sandwich bar.

No musician in the Crow's' Nest at night.

Couple questions...

If the taco stuff is not in the bar out by the pool then what is there now?

Some things in bowls make sense like fruit or muesli, but not thrilled with the salads and sandwiches... Is this the ONLY way you get them now? Or is it just an alternative - you can have a sandwich made OR if what you like is right there you can grab and go?

I believe there are tables now, where the taco bar used to be.

Don't think there is an option to have a sandwich made, although there is a selection of cheese, cold meats, and bread, but you would make your own. Chips available.

No other option for salad. Lots of variety, but an attendant will place it in a bowl for you. The same as it used to be during the first couple of days of the cruise.

Only 3 formal nights in a 14 day cruise.

Just off the NA TA as well!

Vibration: We were in 6072 and only felt a slight vibration a couple of times.

Food: Everything was very good in the MDR! Tamarind was excellent as well as Pinnacle. We enjoyed the new Escargot at Le Cirque but probably would not do Le Cirque again as there are no "sides" to speak of served with the Meat Dishes.

Deli: Huge Disappointment is the elimination of the Deli with no Made-to-Order Sandwiches. They had 4 types of Pre-Made everyday and after a couple of days posted what was in them. This is not a good situation for anyone who has Dietary Restrictions or allergies such as Tomatoes, etc. My Husband had the Pre-Made ones and found them to be inconsistent with the way they were made as well as amount of dressing, mayo, etc. on them although tasty. All of them had Tomatoes which is a problem for those with allergies such as my Daughter who cannot just take them off! They did put out a small plate of sliced Deli Meat and Sliced Cheese so I would make my own Sandwich. This was challenging! First off, they only had the small dinner-type rolls, seeded type bread (like you would find in a bread basket at dinner) and narrow Foccacia. I can't have seeds! I would take the only Pre-Made which had no seeds but had tomatoes and take everything off of it and make my own using that bread! That Pre-Made was Prosciutto, Mozzarella and Tomato. It was also made inconsistent and consisted of one piece of Prosiutto, 2 or 3 small pieces of Mozz, 4 - 6 tomatoes and lettuce and mayo. Some days I would get a Wrap from Mexican and make a sandwich on that! Lots of people complaining but if they do not complain on their Comment Survey, improvements won't be made nor will the now defunct Deli NOT be rolled out on all the Ships!

Another issue with the Pre-Made Sandwiches is people are picking them up, squeezing the bread, poking the bread (as the bag is opened at the top) and then putting them back to take a different one! :eek: Also, they are not refrigerated so I question how and if they are being rotated from the ones that are put out before Lido opens up to 5:00 p.m.?

They have as OP mentioned now gone to serving the Salad in a very nice bowl and you tell them what you want on it and they ladle out the dressing. Lines are longer than before! They also have no other types of Salads anymore and on a few days put out a Pasta Salad by the Grab N Go's and another day a Potato Salad. The Chips are in a bowl and you tong them out onto your plate.

The Mexican has no Nachos or Nacho Cheese. Similar items as before and the quality is very good but what happened to the Nachos?

They also only offer one type of Soup on the Buffet as opposed to two types!

NY Pizza: Pizza, we thought, was very good and an improvement! Crust is very thin and not real NY Pizza but it is made to order with various offerings and is actually cooked in Deck Ovens and not Conveyors. After you order they give a beeper for pick up! Timing wasn't long!

Entertainment: We like the Ocean Bar and they have "The Band". The Band is what used to be Halcats? No more Neptunes and "The Band" did not have a Singer which is needed, IMO, for the Ocean Bar. As OP mentioned no more Guitar Player in Crow's Nest!

Jeremy in the Piano Bar was very good as was B.B. King!

Shows: Some of the Individual performers were entertaining and enjoyable especially The Alley Cats. The Comedian, Fred Moore, was the worst we have ever seen in over 60 Cruises!

The First Show as the OP mentioned had technical problems and they only had the Singers.

Marquee, we did not like at all and left before the end!

We had an awesome Cruise and the weather was amazing! Overall, thought the food was very good! Service was excellent everywhere as well as a very friendly Staff and Crew! Ship was spotless! The carpet was "pitting" on Lido and in MDR but that is normal for new carpet and will eventually end.

Wow, that's really a bummer about the sandwich/deli area. Glad they have some stuff out so you can mix and match your own but they really need to rethink the bread situation. Salds is another huge bummer as I will somedays just go make a huge caesar salad and call that lunch... guess I can still do that via room service (order 2-3 and just combine them all... Voila, entree size salad!

So it sounds like the "nacho bar" out on the lido deck has just physically been removed? :eek: That stinks :(

Wow, that's really a bummer about the sandwich/deli area. Glad they have some stuff out so you can mix and match your own but they really need to rethink the bread situation. Salds is another huge bummer as I will somedays just go make a huge caesar salad and call that lunch... guess I can still do that via room service (order 2-3 and just combine them all... Voila, entree size salad!

So it sounds like the "nacho bar" out on the lido deck has just physically been removed? :eek: That stinks :(

You'll still be able to get your Caesar and the bowls are huge and actually very classy looking and definitely Entrée size! What seems to hold up the lines though is people having to tell them what toppings they want and also what type of dressing. Nothing was labeled either and then the Server would go through the list of dressings, etc. They had two set-ups on each Salad Station but even with this the lines still seemed long and slow!

Hopefully, if HAL gets enough feedback on this new concept, tweaking will be done! Personally, we're hoping they won't roll it out on all the Ships. Rotterdam is one Ship that also now has the new Concept! Many people really didn't seem happy with it at all!

The Mexican is set-up inside next to the Italian Station. No Nachos!

The area between the two sides of Lido opposite the Beverage Station has at Lunch a display of Wine, Beer and Soda where the "specialty" type salads, cheeses, fruits were! They had a few select cheeses cubed near the Grab N Go's and saw a bowl of fruit near Sushi. In the a.m. that area has milk, yogurt, fruit, etc.

Even before the dry dock, the mexican section was part of the buffet and not out by the pool.

In the salad area the big slow down was people taking their own dressing.. they were in bottles that were a little difficult to handle and not well marked.

It is too bad that some of the specialty salads are gone, and the area between the stations had great chunks of cheese and fruit

The deli area already had pre-made sandwiches but also a person to make what you wanted .. it was never crowded on 2 recent cruises.

Always some good and bad changes I guess.

Any all all info from passengers who recently got off or are currently onboard the NA would be great. I'm sailing on her TA from Barcelona back to the US in November, can't wait!! :D One question, will the BB Kings Club still be onboard? We went to their shows on the Eurodam last New Years and Had a blast. Would love to see them again!! :D

You'll still be able to get your Caesar and the bowls are huge and actually very classy looking and definitely Entrée size! What seems to hold up the lines though is people having to tell them what toppings they want and also what type of dressing. Nothing was labeled either and then the Server would go through the list of dressings, etc. They had two set-ups on each Salad Station but even with this the lines still seemed long and slow!

Hopefully, if HAL gets enough feedback on this new concept, tweaking will be done! Personally, we're hoping they won't roll it out on all the Ships. Rotterdam is one Ship that also now has the new Concept! Many people really didn't seem happy with it at all!

The Mexican is set-up inside next to the Italian Station. No Nachos!

The area between the two sides of Lido opposite the Beverage Station has at Lunch a display of Wine, Beer and Soda where the "specialty" type salads, cheeses, fruits were! They had a few select cheeses cubed near the Grab N Go's and saw a bowl of fruit near Sushi. In the a.m. that area has milk, yogurt, fruit, etc.

Great to hear about the caesar, just lame that I'll have to be in a huge line to get something so basic...

The former salad area is now a beverage station for drinks that would carry a charge, is that what you were saying? It's definitely a good move to have a "bar" IN the Lido Restaurant... in fact they are doing just that on Koningsdam. That's what the "egg shaped" blobs in the deck plans are. But to get them retrofitted on older ships at the expense of variety and longer lines sucks