Fort Lauderdale - car rental return

sprockie

We are planning 2 or 3 days pre-cruise in Fort Lauderdale and deciding whether to get a rental car. We haven't decided what area of Ft. L we'll stay in yet.

I haven't rented a car at the FLL airport in a number of years. When you return the car back to the airport, is there a shuttle available to take you back to your hotel, or are you on your own to grab a taxi? Would it be better to return it off-airport?

When renting a car in Ft Lauderdale, I've always picked up at FLL and dropped off at the location nearest the port and taken their free shuttle to the port to board the ship.

With the exception of Alamo/National, all of the major rental companies do this. When renting from Alamo/National, I believe you return to FLL and then they will shuttle you into the port.

I've never heard of a rental company taking you by shuttle back to your hotel.

Good info, thanks. I am trying to simplify as much as possible. We travel with our kids, so we're a total of 4. I was thinking I might return the rental car myself and return to the hotel, then we'll all cab it to the pier instead of extra trouble with luggage for 4 on the rental car shuttle - but I am open to suggestions.

Good info, thanks. I am trying to simplify as much as possible. We travel with our kids, so we're a total of 4. I was thinking I might return the rental car myself and return to the hotel, then we'll all cab it to the pier instead of extra trouble with luggage for 4 on the rental car shuttle - but I am open to suggestions.

We dropped bags and people off at the pier, and then one of us goes to return the rental car.

Edited by clarea

I do exactly what Bob does - drop off others and all luggage at the pier, then return the car and hop on the shuttle.

Don't know your hotel budget, but Avis's return location for cruises is right at the Hyatt Pier 66 hotel; for Budget, it's right across the parking lot from the Renaissance hotel on 17th. For Dollar, return is on Miami Rd immediately outside the east (south?) entrance gate.

Enjoy your cruise. Sometimes the planning is half the fun!:)