On board The Star

kathy9

I almost had a kanipshin (sp?) fit yesterday at lunch when I went to the starboard side of the World Cafe juice machine and the tap for my iced tea had disappeared. BUT before I had a massive panic attack, I thought to try the port side. Whew!

From a piddly complainer...

My father used to say he could "hang by his thumbs" as long as it didn't last too long. Fifty days is a long time to do without unsweetened ice tea! Other than water, alcohol and tomato juice, there are few alternatives for those of us who dislike too-sweet drinks or need to limit sugar or sugar substitutes. This, by the way, is my excellent excuse for drinking wine with dinner every night, as the caffeine in ice tea keeps me awake, so really no choice. :D

We had a fabulous day touring Seville today. Eight of us from Cruise Critic had arranged this private tour through SpainDayTours dot com (a TopDayTours subsidiary). We were the first to get off the ship at 8:15 and we were on our way by 8:30. We were WAY AHEAD of the Viking groups - as a matter of fact I never spotted them at all during the day. First we went to the Spanish Pavillion built for the 1929 World's Fair. Really beautiful. Next we went through the old historical Jewish sector and I sure am glad we had a guide or I'd still be wandering around the maze of charming alleyways. Then to the Alcazar. We had requested that we go INSIDE the Alcazar when we booked this tour. It was fantastic - better to me than the Topkapi Palace that we had gone to see in Istanbul. Then we had an hour's free time - some went shopping, most went to eat, and I toured the Cathedral (the largest Gothic Cathedral in the world, or so they say). What a place. A huge high alter awash with gold leaf top to bottom, brought back from the "New World", and the tomb of Christopher Columbus. And the interior was so enormous.

Then back on our small coach and back to Cadiz an hour plus before the "all aboard" time. I went immediately to the Wintergarden for high tea since I missed lunch and wolfed down two scones with clotted cream and jam. Guess I'd better weigh myself tomorrow...

How long was your tour?

We will be in Cadiz on the the Star on this Aug 18, but don't arrive until 1 PM.

The Viking tour is 6.5 hours from 1:15 PM to 7:45 PM.

The 18th is also our anniversary, so we like to have a nice meal when we get back. Can we expect the Viking tour to be finished on time?

I have been on two Viking River cruises. One was impeccable in all ways (China), the other not so impressive (Rhine). Which river cruise line do you prefer? I'd like to try a different one.

Regarding the post about Viking River Cruises and other lines. I do see the point about Viking pushing to be the big "elephant' in the room full of river cruise lines. I've sailed twice with them, the Rhine between Amsterdam and Basil and the Paris to Normandy cruise. Of the two the Paris to Normandy was best, we got to Giverney just as it opened, the light was fantastic and the Wisteria were in full bloom. Two hours later we were still there but so were the crowds and the light had changed. Food and service on the entire cruise were outstanding, we even got to take over the lounge area so 85% of the passengers could watch Prince William marry Kate. Priceless!

That said, my hands down favorite line is AMA Waterways,(sailed in 2009,& in 2016) everything they do is just a little more refined, less hurried staff and their itineraries are always tweaked for something special. Also look at UniWorld (2012) and Avalon....all are top notch.

The ship docked about 7:00ish, but can't tell you for sure as I was getting dressed. We were off and away at 8:30. The Viking tour was not scheduled to leave until 10:00. We got back about 4:00, but we ran into zero traffic. We were not scheduled to be back until 4:30. So it ended up being a 7 1/2 hour tour but was scheduled to be 8 hours. One thing to keep in mind is that bathroom breaks last 7 minutes as opposed to 35 minutes when there's only 8 or so people..

This is a late question for someone who was on the first leg. Did Viking provide transportation from the port (Piraeus) to Athens? Were there more than one deparrture and pick up time? Was the transfer complimentary or paid? Any information would be appreciated. I'm trying to decide whether to book a tour or wing it on my own. Thanks.

Edited by traveld

I have been on two Viking River cruises. One was impeccable in all ways (China), the other not so impressive (Rhine). Which river cruise line do you prefer? I'd like to try a different one.

AMA Waterways most like a great Ocean cruise

Jancruz1

Amazing- after reading all of these reviews (rants) for the past few months, I am astounded as to why Viking is still trying so hard to market to the American segment of potential cruise customers. I am totally not a Viking fan of their river cruise program (a tacky attempt to dominate the European river cruise market), or their initial efforts to break into the ocean-going market, even though we've booked a 2016 cruise on the Star. Some of you guys though--not all-- are also amazing. You can find the most piddliest things to complain about!

Oh, how I wish all our complaints were of the "piddling" nature.

But, on the upside, I just saw our first dolphin in days, a couple of hours out of Cadiz on the way to Lisbon!

This is a late question for someone who was on the first leg. Did Viking provide transportation from the port (Piraeus) to Athens? Were there more than one deparrture and pick up time? Was the transfer complimentary or paid? Any information would be appreciated. I'm trying to decide whether to book a tour or wing it on my own. Thanks.

Perhaps Elizabeth or one of the other folks who are active on here can answer your question about transportation to Athens. However, I don't remember seeing mention of a shuttle in Piraeus on the Viking daily that Becki posted a while back. It doesn't sound hard to get there and back on your own, though. There's an express bus offered by the city of Piraeus (or maybe Athens) that goes directly from very near each of the main cruise terminals to two central spots in Athens. The bad news is that it only leaves every hour or so. The good is that it picks up close to the port, you can buy tickets from the driver with exact change (4 euro, with ticket good on all public transportation in port of Piraeus and in Athens) and the ride averages 20-30 minutes depending upon traffic. There are also cabs, and buses to the metro station in Piraeus, which means you can then get to Athens via Metro. The little land train, while hokey, sounds like it may be valuable for getting around Athens a bit.

I suppose you could also do a Viking excursion, stay in Athens if you wanted to see more, and then go back to the ship on your own. http://www.athensguide.com/practicalinfo/publictransport.htm is one site I'm finding is useful.

Edited by roothy123

I don't think there was a free shuttle, because others I know took the Metro back and forth or used the included tour and I'm sure they would have used a free shuttl if available. We didn't go into town as I was sick with a cold, so went to visit a Pharmacy in Pireas as our excursion. :(

Tips suggested by Viking are 1 euro for driver and 2 euros for guide per traveller. They don't distinguish between whether included or not. We've been tipping at those suggested rates for any Viking tours we were on. However, for two people that would require a hoard of euro coins. So instead we've done 2 euros for driver and 5 euro bill for guide. Early on when small bills were at a premium I waited until everyone tipped and then asked the guide to make change for a 20. She happily complied. In Gibraltar, they use micro buses and the driver wore a headset and narrated the tour. I tipped him at the guide rate.

In Athens we used taxi to metro and metro to Monastriki stop. Save your walking for touring not the long walk to Metro despite what travel experts guides say. We paid 3 euros going and 5 euros returning. The only hassle is the taxi drivers will spend the entire time trying to sell you a longer ride to town or an unofficial tour. Just tell them you are meeting a guide at the metro stop in town (we were) so you need to be on the line. The significant advantage over the town bus is the metro is going to be X minutes no matter what time of day. If you take a bus you need to build in lots of time to get back to the port and deal with crowds for a longer time.

The metro system is wonderfully self-explanatory and there is a ticket agent at Piraeus to sell you a ticket. We overspent and bought 24 hr tickets just to not deal with getting the return ticket at rush hour. Convenience has a value also. You validate your ticket on way to platforms. Watch the locals.

Lastly, thanks, thanks, thanks to Port of Lisboa for the gift of an lanyard style security pouch given each passenger as they disembarked this morning. It was great to get a gift for visiting especially as it was practical for travellers.

I also want to thank the Port of Lisboa for the nice around the neck security pouch.

For people currently ON the ship to Bergen, if you have a charger for a big/wide FitBit, please call 7014. That passenger needs to borrow it. I met him at lunch and know nothing about FitBit, but figured I could post here and someone might be able to help him out. Alas, I forgot his name...

Star Theatre last night featured the oldies but goodies of Paul Fredericks of "Winchester Cathedral" one hit wonder fame.

Bio from booking agency says it all but underestimates his collection of almost bawdy jokes that had the seniors howling well past 10pm.

http://www.blackburninternational.com/our_artists/male_vocal/paul_fredericks

It was his closing sampling of Roy Orbison's greatest hits that twinkled the Star!

Best of luck to the non Baby Boomer passengers in future sailings

Thanks Elizabeth for arranging the tour. We agree it was wonderful and wish there could have been a later departure for Star as that would have allowed even more time in Seville. All the guides mention you are only getting a taste intended to help you plan for a return trip in the future. That rang true for me for the first time on this cruise after 19 port calls.

Too bad one couple had to opt out due to illness/injury.

For those keeping score at home, it has been 27 days of fair to great weather. There have been a couple of warm but not hot days and I think only Florence had some drizzle. After some sea days, Paris is up and forecast is partly cloudy and 70 degrees! There's a chance we could get good weather in London as well.

Edited by algaes

I don't think there was a free shuttle, because others I know took the Metro back and forth or used the included tour and I'm sure they would have used a free shuttl if available. We didn't go into town as I was sick with a cold, so went to visit a Pharmacy in Pireas as our excursion. :(

Thanks to everyone who answered my question regarding transportation from Piraeus to Athens.

Went on this optional tour today and found it average at best. The first disappointment was the drive-by of Belem Tower - this was more of a glimpse-by. Then spent too much time IMO at the 'modern' Tower to the Discoveries featuring Prince Henry the Navigator (which wasn't in our tour descrption). Then off to the Monastery and Cloisters which we did both enjoyed. On the way we learned all about the nightlife and drinking habits of university students (more on that later).

Our guide, Maria, told us about a fabulous custard tart shop that we'd be passing by on the way from the Monastery to the Coach Museum and encouraged us to get in line to buy. When we got there the line was long, but she said it would move quickly. Well it didn't. Some of our group started walking to the Coach Museum, but some of us stayed in line (moi being one of the custard tart liners). In retrospect this was not a good idea and she should have told us to forget it. Most of the group went on ahead and those in line caught up with the other half at the totally skippable Coach Museum. Although the coaches were interesting, not something I'd recommend you spend your time on when you only have 6 hours in Lisbon.

Then we seemed to go on a bus ride through town, with her pointing out the hazing rituals that university students go through and the drinking games they play. We probably spent half an hour touring about on the bus, but non memorable in my opinion. The highlight was seeing the old fashioned tram cars about.

Then we finally got to the Alfama district where we were supposed to stroll by the exterior of the Cathedral and "free time to wander it's labyrinthine streets brimming with inviting cafes and craft shops". She announced as we got off the bus that we only had 10 minutes and then walked us about half a block into the area and started another discussion about what young people like to do and the acoustic guitars they like to play and their drinking habits, all while standing still. Of course we have no idea which way to go, so I finally interrupted her and suggested we really didn't care about university drinking habits and let's get moving. We walked about 2 blocks in total, a lot of which was under construction and then back on the bus. "So sorry but we don't have time for the Cathedral, but it's not that great anyway." It was only about 4:30 and our onboard time was 5:30 and we were literally within sight of the ship and could have walked back 20 minutes tops. But no - have to get back right away.

There were two busloads with this excursion with two different guides. It would be interesting to compare notes with the other group and see how it compares with my opinion. The guides can have such an impact. If there's anyone who was in the other group, post your opinion please!

Bottom line - I would not recommend this optional tour, and would definitely avoid Maria, but don't know how you'd do that if Viking opted to have her back.

Looking forward to tomorrow and the first of our 2 sea days.

For those keeping score at home, it has been 27 days of fair to great weather.

Leo - You've now jinxed us. Thanks a lot! LOL ;) (And I would say "awesome" weather! I figure we now deserve a freak snowstorm in Norway...)

There are mixed reports as to whether the V1 rooms have a mini-frig. I called Viking and they said they do but a cruise critic writer who sailed the first cruise says they don't. Can anyone in a V1 room confirm either way. Also can V1 passengers get into the specialty dining rooms?

Viking has posted that the SKY will not be ready until 2017 and many of the booked cruises are either cancelled or rescheduled which is really disappointing.

I was in a V1 or V2, whichever is the lowest category. There was a fridge, which took up every inch of available space in the desk. We had an initial set up of some sodas and candy bars, and no free refills. We used it mainly to keep our cream in overnight because we had a kettle we brought with us for coffee. Our cabin didn't have a coffeemaker, so we used the kettle and some Starbucks VIA we picked up in Istanbul. It was good.