Snorkeling in Grand Cayman - Head to Eden Rock or 7 mile beach

tbmrt

We are planning another trip to Grand Cayman....Have done quite a bit of snorkeling, but don't like swimming out great distances, especially in rough water.

Thinking of going to what I understand is crowded 7 mile beach just to walk and snorkel along the say. However, if snorkeling at Eden Rock is much better, we may head there.

Input appreciated.

Thanks.

7 Mile is for the most part a nice deep sand beach. If you enjoy snorkeling over nice clean sand it is just right for you. The reef is 1/2 mile out . . . .

At Eden Rock and Sunset House and places 'tween the shore is 'iron shore' ... basically ancient reef and volcanic rock pushed up out of the water. The living reef comes right up this shore. Snorkeling on good stuff is close to shore.

Here's an aerial of Sunset House and you can see the coral fingers and sand chutes running right up to shore. Eden area is a little north and similar

sunsethouse_zps9083c174.jpg

Sunset and Eden Rock both look great for snorkeling.

Question though. ...I had gotten cut on coral when I was in St. Thomas years ago when I got carried away and ended up in water that was too shallow.

Is the water depth at Sunset and Eden Rock low or deep? Easy/more difficult to enter water?

Thanks so much

both locations have ladders for easy in/out

at Eden you can walk in to about 5 feet or so from the ladder ... then you have a bit of a swim out to the reef. Their web site says 150 yards

at Sunset you jump into an area about 10' ... coral will be found about 20 yards out and get 'better' the farther you go to about that same 100 - 150 yards out

Sunset also has the 'sea pool' - see the web site

at both you'll first find coral in about 6 feet and the depth will increase to about 50 before you hit the sand flat that goes out to the second coral band at 'the wall'

In the picture I hung, the blue band at the left is the deep end of the inner coral band.

At Eden, some of the deeper coral DOES come closer to the surface, but this is just a few large heads . .

this is 'big boy pants' snorkeling ... no standing up . . .

both sites have maps at the dive shop 'right there' and the staff is happy to provide a quick orientation.

Edited by Capt_BJ

I have never been to 7 mile, but we snorkeled at Eden Rock last Fall and loved it. No sandy beach - just a wall and about 5 steps to the water. We had our own gear, so we just rented a locker. (I think it was $5 plus a $10 deposit - which we left as a tip) They had several picnic tables, so plenty of room to take a break. The water did get deep quickly and they have roped off area, but many were going out past it.

Eden Rock is really close to the port and the cruise ships are in the background while you snorkel.

Eden Rock is really close to the port and the cruise ships are in the background while you snorkel.

Maybe... maybe not. When we were there a couple months ago, according to Carnival, the Port Authority said the wind and waves weren't right for tendering. So, we were taken to a place called Spotts Beach. Unlike Georgetown, where diving and shopping abound, there's nothing to do there... except take a cab somewhere else. ;)

I'm afraid this is happening more and more often, because it causes many more tourist dollars to stay behind on the island. The local cab and bus drivers sure do love the way it adds to their industry. :cool:

• 1 month later...

I have been to Eden Rock twice in the past 2 years. The first time the weather was snarly and the snorkeling was poor. This January we went back, the day was much better and I would describe the snorkeling as being fair to good. However, this is offset by the fact that it is a very easy walk from the tender dock to the dive shop, it an easy entry and the people in the shop are extremely friendly. I have my own gear but they allowed me to use there wash tank and shower....you may care to put something in the tip jar as you leave. :)