Gonna be Seasick - Carnival Sunshine - Lido Balcony ?

eponym

Bought a balcony up on Lido deck right under what is called "Fitness Studio".

Is that too high and front of ship if one of us is prone to seasickness?

Also, is that going to be a bummer with lots of noise at 0600 - 11PM because it is located under the section called "Fitness Studio"? I am hoping there are good rubber mats in that fitness studio.

Anybody know about these two things for Lido Balcony up front on Sunshine?

Thanks!

I can tell you I was full front on the Magic in a 4J and there was def. more movement up front. Neither I or my friend get seasick so it didn't bother us except for we may have lost some footing once of twice. We also had a balcony on the Dream off the side on deck 11 and it was less movement than the room right at the front, but still moved a bit.

Don't know about the fitness studio, check the diagram to see if this is where they do yoga classes or an actual machine area. I don't think yoga will be that bad at 6am, but a treadmill would.

Don't know about the fitness studio, check the diagram to see if this is where they do yoga classes or an actual machine area. I don't think yoga will be that bad at 6am, but a treadmill would.

Yes. I can't tell anything from the diagram beyond the label "Fitness studio" so I am hoping someone sees this post and has been under it on sunshine before.

The rest of the Carnival diagram seems to be showing weights/machines in other regions of the overall fitness area, and we are HOPING that is the case.

Yoga on mats or whatever would be fine if that's what the studio means- rather than tap lessons, free weights or treadmills at 6AM!

Also, we have never stayed that high up on a ship, so I guess we better pack some motion sickness stuff just in case.

In my experience, it is best to take motion sickness meds before you feel ill! We start taking them right before the ship sails. IF you wait until you feel sick it takes much longer for the meds to work and make you feel better.

IF someone is prone to seasickness they probably know this already .

In my experience, it is best to take motion sickness meds before you feel ill! We start taking them right before the ship sails. IF you wait until you feel sick it takes much longer for the meds to work and make you feel better.

IF someone is prone to seasickness they probably know this already .

Yes, I agree about administering any med's.

It's a question of Deck 9 Lido front motion of ship versus all middle- lower decks or mid/aft for significant motion issues.

Also, whether a Lido Balcony directly under Fitness Studio (that is located within Fitness area) is destined for 6AM bad noise issues.

I hope this doesn't turn out to be a mistake!

Have you looked at cruisedeckplans dot com?

You can pull up the deck plans and it appears the weights and tread mills are not over you.

It looks to me like it is gonna be something like a yoga or exercise room.

Don't know about the seasick thing as it's never affected myself or my wife and we always book on lido.

I just took a look at that site. I like the drag deck function. I hope the layout for the weights and machines has not changed per the published plans.

Since you always book Lido and have not been sick, that's a good sign. My other half is the prone one.

We are booked on a Lido balcony midship on Sunshine for July! I just used the cruisedeckplans dot com site, and realized we are under a large grey area on Deck10. Does anyone know what that might be? It is near (below) the elevators? It shows the area extending into the balcony area, too. I'm hoping it won't be something blocking our balcony below? Or something that causes too much noise? Does anyone know? Thanks. :)

Hubby and I were in cabin 9134 last July 2014 and it was under the fitness center. We know about it coming in, and wanting to change but decided against it. It was a 7 day cruise and we never had any issues EXCEPT the last day when someone started working out at 5am. We are actually going back in June 2015 and asked for that specific cabin but its not available. That's also the first time we were in Lido and really convenient.

Hope this helps.

CrusingFamily

Hubby and I were in cabin 9134 last July 2014 and it was under the fitness center. We know about it coming in, and wanting to change but decided against it. It was a 7 day cruise and we never had any issues EXCEPT the last day when someone started working out at 5am. We are actually going back in June 2015 and asked for that specific cabin but its not available. That's also the first time we were in Lido and really convenient.

Hope this helps.

CrusingFamily

yes, that is helpful insight. 0500 is not appropriate, and is outside of the operating hours. As the deck plans read, the cycles and machines would be over 9134 for Sunshine. If the plans shown online are still correct, we are on the opposite side of the ship with the studio above us.

Start taking ginger pills about a week before the cruise. We were on a cruise during a hurricane and the ship was rocking and rolling. I do not get sea sick but my step dad does. It was so bad that there were barf bags like you find on an airplane taped to the elevator walls. Needless to say we had a lot of the ship to ourselves and it was great. (Of course they diverted the ship as much as they could but waters were VERY rough. My mom and I were working out on elipticals and when we got off, our legs were jello from the slamming into the seas :)

Start taking ginger pills about a week before the cruise. We were on a cruise during a hurricane and the ship was rocking and rolling. I do not get sea sick but my step dad does. It was so bad that there were barf bags like you find on an airplane taped to the elevator walls. Needless to say we had a lot of the ship to ourselves and it was great. (Of course they diverted the ship as much as they could but waters were VERY rough. My mom and I were working out on elipticals and when we got off, our legs were jello from the slamming into the seas :)

OMG. Hurricane! Yikes! That must have been a wild experience.

Ginger pills a week before. That's not a problem to do/get setup at all. Thanks for the tip.

Funny about ellipticals and your legs!

We pray for fair weather.

We just got off Sunshine on Saturday (April 11, 2015) and stayed in inside rooms (9145,9137). We occasionally heard weights drop but nothing that effected us. The posted hours of operation are NOT correct, though. The crew has access to the area during some off hours.

As for seasickness, we felt the ship move but zero sickness in our family. I've had it before and would have rather died! We took a chewable Bonine each day. On one evening the sea was slightly more rocky but no issues. We were ALWAYS on Lido.

Overall, a GREAT cruise. We sailed with 3,750 people, only 10 below their legal limit and every room full. We had a blast! Just go into it with a positive feeling and you'll be great. We went to several comedy shows, enjoyed the view decks and frequented all the dining rooms. No problems. I do wonder about people who go through the buffets barefoot and shirtless??

Edited by musikfans

We just got off Sunshine on Saturday (April 11, 2015) and stayed in inside rooms (9145,9137). We occasionally heard weights drop but nothing that effected us. The posted hours of operation are NOT correct, though. The crew has access to the area during some off hours.

I do wonder about people who go through the buffets barefoot and shirtless??

That's the area, I think 9137 is inside cabin and may be out of the fringe edge of the overall fitness area on deck 10. Luckily, you didn't have an issue, and that's good news! It is absurd to think that the crew should/could access the weights, treadmill and work out areas directly above paying guest cabins during the closed hours between 11PM and 5AM. That needs some serious thought. If crew doesn't have a workout area of any kind, the company needs to set aside some from their own spaces, instead of the risk of taking away late hours of sleep and serenity from deck 9 cabins.

Barefoot and shirtless in restaurants <serving food> is also seemingly absurd.

We can only hope those 2 things are not prevalent.

With 3,000 other guests on board, it really isn't/shouldn't be viewed as your own backyard BBQUE.

I can't really find too much about about the matter of deck 9 fore balcony cabins having issues with gym noise, so I guess we will live it out and write a trip report upon return.

Hope this helps.

CrusingFamily

We have that cabin in May! Glad to hear you didn't have any real issues. I was a little concerned about the gym being above us.

We had the very front cabin on the Lido deck on the Freedom. When we left during a tropical depression we had a lot of movement everywhere on the ship, and people all over the boat were sick. we left our room but it was just as bad everywhere. when we woke up the next morning and the storm was over, we didn't feel movement the rest of the trip in our room, or anywhere else.

So I guess my point is that overall, if the boat's rocking, it's rocking everywhere. maybe a little more or less depending on the location, but during a storm you're not going to escape the movement totally.

We had the very front cabin on the Lido deck on the Freedom. When we left during a tropical depression we had a lot of movement everywhere on the ship, and people all over the boat were sick. we left our room but it was just as bad everywhere. when we woke up the next morning and the storm was over, we didn't feel movement the rest of the trip in our room, or anywhere else.

So I guess my point is that overall, if the boat's rocking, it's rocking everywhere. maybe a little more or less depending on the location, but during a storm you're not going to escape the movement totally.

Makes sense. I appreciate the wisdom and background.

I am prone to motion sickness. I was rather paranoid about it leading up to our first cruise last Oct. I took ginger every day for a few days leading up to cruise and on the cruise, I took bonine every day, and the sea bands were great! I got commplacent the last day and took the sea bands off. I sent DH back to cabin to get them for me because I started feeling off. I Put them on and it went away. I got them at Target for about $11 or so. Put them on before you get on and dont take them off. I wore them in the pool and hot tub and bed too. I slipped them off for fancy pics ( they look like sweatbands so not too pretty!) then right back on they went. They were comfortable. I also read every single thing I could about sea sickness on these boards and 1 thing I read but never had to use, was green apples are supposed to help. I guess the crew will get you some if you ask. They know why you are asking.

We were on the Princess Regal last month. In their huge, very nice buffet area, two young women with about three strings each on their private parts paraded around, cheeks showing and loving the attention.

Not one person asked the exhibitionists to leave. And I am not a prude. They were showing what they had. It is tasteless.

At the pool.and you have it and you want to flaunt it.......well OK. In the areas where people eat........I don't care how cute you are, I don't want you to be mooning me as I gather up my salad items.

The no shoes.....no shirts....some people have no class. And they are on ALL of the ships and thankfully a minority. I do think they should be spoken too

I am prone to motion sickness. I was rather paranoid about it leading up to our first cruise last Oct. I took ginger every day for a few days leading up to cruise and on the cruise, I took bonine every day, and the sea bands were great! I got commplacent the last day and took the sea bands off. I sent DH back to cabin to get them for me because I started feeling off. I Put them on and it went away. I got them at Target for about $11 or so. Put them on before you get on and dont take them off. I wore them in the pool and hot tub and bed too. I slipped them off for fancy pics ( they look like sweatbands so not too pretty!) then right back on they went. They were comfortable. I also read every single thing I could about sea sickness on these boards and 1 thing I read but never had to use, was green apples are supposed to help. I guess the crew will get you some if you ask. They know why you are asking.

Yes. Thank you. We have cruised before, just not this high up on the ship and only second time in Caribbean. Seems like there could easily be more 'sway' (?) up on the higher decks but it is all connected!