POA port questions

Obsessedwithplanning

We (4 of us) are on the POA in August and I have a few questions, if any one can help me...

1 - I read somewhere that one of the stops had a good beach very near the port. Which port is that? Beach name? And is the beach walkable, or just a reasonable cab ride away.

2 - When in Oahu before the cruise we have a day at Pearl Harbor planned. All the excursions are very expensive (4 of us). I think I would rather do the day on our own. Can we get there via cab from Waikiki hotel or would that be very expensive. Maybe the bus is an option? Would rather not rent a car just to go there, spend the day and go back to hotel.

3 - Looking for Luau options in Oahu

4 - On Kauai looking at an excursion to the canyon for $48pp (x 4). Assume car rental would be cheaper, but would it be easier? If we go that way what else should we see on the way there or back?

thanks in advance....

All of these topics are covered here almost daily, so some reading would get you a lot of info.

1- Nothing leaps to mind about beaches close by, but I guess you need to define "close by". None within realistic walking distance, that I can recall.

2-There are MANY threads on getting to Pearl Harbor. Taxi or bus would be very easy- bus will be $2.50pp, discounted to $1 if you are over 65. Have taken the bus from Waikiki 3 times. Very easy.

3- Lots of luau threads. There are a couple in Waikiki, tho I don't think they are every night. there are many luaus on Oahu.

4-Renting a car is a VERY common option. Define "easy"? It is certainly not hard- far too many people do it for it to be hard.

We (4 of us) are on the POA in August and I have a few questions, if any one can help me...

1 - I read somewhere that one of the stops had a good beach very near the port. Which port is that? Beach name? And is the beach walkable, or just a reasonable cab ride away. There's a small beach right off the tender in Kona. It's in front of a hotel (King Kam, I think) but all beaches are public in Hawaii, so you can use it. Also, Kalapaki Beach on Kauai is just a short, FREE, trolly ride away. Or you can walk it in about 10 minutes.

2 - When in Oahu before the cruise we have a day at Pearl Harbor planned. All the excursions are very expensive (4 of us). I think I would rather do the day on our own. Can we get there via cab from Waikiki hotel or would that be very expensive. Maybe the bus is an option? Would rather not rent a car just to go there, spend the day and go back to hotel. You can check out TheBus.org for public transportation on Oahu. Some people use this method to get to Pearl. You could take a cab, but I think it might be kind of expensive.

3 - Looking for Luau options in Oahu We didn't do a luau on Oahu.

4 - On Kauai looking at an excursion to the canyon for $48pp (x 4). Assume car rental would be cheaper, but would it be easier? If we go that way what else should we see on the way there or back? Our brother and sister-in-law and nephew rented a car and drove up to Waimea Canyon. Make sure you go all the way to the end so you can see the Kalalau Valley Overlook. On the way back they stopped at Wailua Falls. We went the opposite direction and headed up to the North Shore beaches and Hanalei.

thanks in advance....

Have an amazing time! We loved our time in Hawaii and on-board the Pride of America.

I'll give you my two cents.

1 - I read somewhere that one of the stops had a good beach very near the port. Which port is that? Beach name? And is the beach walkable, or just a reasonable cab ride away.

You may be thinking of Kalapacki or Kalapaki Bay and Beach at your port stop in Kauai. Very near the ship and it is beautiful with lots of shade, paved walkways, a big hotel (the Mariott) and lots of shopping. You can take one of the free shopping shuttles that come to the port or just walk it. It is only a couple of blocks. This is a good place to go to on the am of the short day in Kauai before the ship leaves to do the Na Pali Coast in the afternoon.

2 - When in Oahu before the cruise we have a day at Pearl Harbor planned. All the excursions are very expensive (4 of us). I think I would rather do the day on our own. Can we get there via cab from Waikiki hotel or would that be very expensive. Maybe the bus is an option? Would rather not rent a car just to go there, spend the day and go back to hotel.

I found the Pearl Harbor excursion to among the cheapest I saw in Hawaii:confused:. We booked with Roberts and it included the admission tickets. It is basically just your transportation there and back, but it did include a city tour at the end which we enjoyed of the Punchbowl area, Iolani Palace, King K statue, etc. To us, not much more than what a taxi out would have cost just it get there.

Depending on your plans for the POA port stops, you might consider just doing a luau offered by the ship. Tour during the day and then back in time to head out with the a luau tour for dinner. You have to eat somewhere that night.;).

4 - On Kauai looking at an excursion to the canyon for $48pp (x 4). Assume car rental would be cheaper, but would it be easier? If we go that way what else should we see on the way there or back?

thanks in advance....

IMO, yes, both easier and cheaper to rent a car and then you can do what you want for the entire day at your own pace. The shuttles meet you at the ship, but book the car in advance. We were probably in our car and heading out within 15 or 20 minutes of getting on the shuttle. The driving is easy. We rented cars in both Maui and Kauai and booked no excursions except for helicopter in Kauai.

There is a very detailed review of POA here with daily news leaflets and lots of photos. http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2135010 She mentions somewhere about the luau at the Polynesian Centre not having alcohol due to its mormon (?) connections if that is an issue for you. There is a link near the end to another review of a more recent trip.

With Pearl Harbour have you looked at the national park website, there is a nominal fee for tickets but numbers are limited, there also other museums/ships at the same site. If you reserve tickets note they have to be picked up one hour prior or they could be reissued. http://www.nps.gov/valr/planyourvisit/index.htm

I am hoping to go in August too but waiting on a price drop. Can anyone explain how it works if I book now then see a better price? I'm assuming I rebook, cancel the original booking and pay some kind of fee?

There is a very detailed review of POA here with daily news leaflets and lots of photos. http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2135010 She mentions somewhere about the luau at the Polynesian Centre not having alcohol due to its mormon (?) connections if that is an issue for you. There is a link near the end to another review of a more recent trip.

With Pearl Harbour have you looked at the national park website, there is a nominal fee for tickets but numbers are limited, there also other museums/ships at the same site. If you reserve tickets note they have to be picked up one hour prior or they could be reissued. http://www.nps.gov/valr/planyourvisit/index.htm

I am hoping to go in August too but waiting on a price drop. Can anyone explain how it works if I book now then see a better price? I'm assuming I rebook, cancel the original booking and pay some kind of fee?

Yep, the bolded part is true.

Up until final pay date, there is no fee for rebooking. However, you may have to give up the promotions given when you originally booked for the current promotions, which may or may not be as good.

Bus is definitely the way to go for most affordable way to do the things at pearl harbor. The expensive tours, IMO, are a bit of a rip off. Much of what there is to do there is free or inexpensive. Luaus on Oahu typically aren't in Waikiki but most if not all offer shuttles from Waikiki so that shouldn't be a concern. I will say there is a lot to see on Oahu and Waikiki is not even on my highlights list. If you have more than a day in Oahu, look into renting a car so you can see the more beautiful parts of the island.

Renting a car in Kauai is easy (and indeed at any stop. Kona was the only place we needed to call to be picked up, in other ports the shuttles were running continuously until at least 11am.) Discount Hawaii car rental offers amazing prices. You can rent a car for less than the price of two of you going on the waimea canyon tour, and be on your own schedule and see other things you may be interested in.

Highly recommend visiting places/beaches on the islands that aren't right at the port. There's some simply amazing things, and for the amount you are paying for the cruise it is worth it to spend a few extra dollars to see some of the absolute best that Hawaii has to offer.

I just got off POA this weekend. I will have to post a photo review soon. Once I figure out how to have photos turn up in posts not as uploads.

~Katy

thanks in advance....

We were just on this cruise in March.

There is a nice beach in Kuaia It is a Marriot Hotel. It is right next to the small shopping mall. You can take a shuttle, but it is really only a 10 minute walk. We walked there, but then shuttled back because it started to pour. Just remember few of the beaches are large like the jersey shore or hilton head. North Carolina etc. This beach is good size but is in a cove sort of.

I am not sure, but I heard the bus goes to Pearl Harbor and is in expensive

No Idea about Luau, some people recommend the polynesian center or maybe paradise luau

If you want to see the canyon definitely rent a car the first day in Kuaia. It was so easy and you do not need to worry about rushing back from the ship. There are shuttle buses right at the port. It is only about 10 minutes from the airport. I mapquested it. We went from airport to canyon, then to shrimpplace to eat right in Waimea, then went and saw some other waterfalls and the spouting horn and we had plenty of time. If you take a tour, you only go to the first stop to see the canyon. We went to the next two overlooks and even stopped on the road to see some more amazing views. It was so easy to drive, not too many different roads.

Enjoy your trip. It was one of our most memorable ones!!

For Pearl Harbor, get your tickets ahead of time. $1.50 surcharge per ticket. We had pretty early ticket times so we took a cab to Pearl, around $20 and then the bus back to our hotel. Bus was very cheep and the driver made sure we got off at the right stop.

Renting a car is easy but on Ohau the traffic is terrible and if your in a hotel you will pay $$ to park.

I signed up for Groupon for Hawaii and get alot of great offers, including dining and tours

Bev

• 2 weeks later...

In Kauai there is a beach just a short walk from the pier. I believe it is called Kalapaki Beach. You can actually see it from the ship. Unfortunately I had planned on going to this beach on Friday but decided to relax on the ship. My dad actually walked to this beach and said it was his favorite beach for the entire trip. He said it was really nice. They have shuttles that run every couple of minutes that will take you there and the shopping area right next to it.

For this you could do a cab or the bus. When I went last week we had a tour booked but our driver said that there were certain buses that would take you there, sorry I don't remember the number, and he said you would take the same bus number back to Waikiki.

Oahu is the place we decided to do our luau. We went to Paradise Cove and I would highly recommend it. The doors open at 5 and the luau is over around 9 pm. I wasn't expecting much when it came to the food but I was surprised at how good it was. I had kalua pig numerous times during our stay in Hawaii and the best I had was at the luau. I loved our time at this luau and would definitely go back.

I did a lot of research before going to Hawaii. I too found the excursion you did for $48pp to go to Waimea Canyon. You do not need to pay that much per person to go see this. The drive there was easy and you will be able to see/do a lot more if you rent a car. I would suggest going to Hawaii discount rental and renting a car through them. We used Thrifty and had no problems. The only thing I will say is that when we walked off the ship to wait for the shuttle, we found a group of people waiting for the Thrifty shuttle. A few minutes later the shuttle showed up and we were told that they had waited an hour for the shuttle to show up. If you choose them I would check and see what their schedule is. I have heard they only go to the pier every hour or so, but we had no problems renting through them. For this port we only rented for one day since you have to pay $20 to park in the parking lot near the ship. The last shuttle Thrifty offered was a 8 pm but we went back around 7 just to make sure.

thanks in advance....

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask!! I loved my time in Hawaii and can't wait to be able to go back. You will love it there!

In Waikiki we went to the Chief's Luau. It was excellent. Very good food, lots of activities, wonderful show. It was a fairly small group - less than 200 people I would say. The drinks were not watered down and the buffet line was not huge. You can also arrange for them to pick you up (for a fee). Their website gives a list of where they pick up and drop off. http://www.chiefsluau.com

We did a two-night pre-cruise stay through a travel agency which offered a Pearl Harbor tour. I think it was through Roberts. I have no idea what the cost would be. I imagine they also do the hotel pick-up thing.

Just a clarification, Chief's luau isn't in Waikiki, it's on the windward side in Waimanalo at Sea Life Park.

~Katy

Correct. I should have said "while we were staying in Waikiki" we went to the Chief's Luau (which is outside of Waikiki at Sealife Park). We arranged for pick up and drop off and we met the bus at a hotel not far from the one we were staying at. It wasn't a long drive. Then they dropped us back at the pick-up hotel.

We did the pride of America cruise some years ago, and the only port which had a beach near it was Narwilli on Kauai. Just walk off the ship along the pathway to a very nice hotel, lovely soft grass to sit on. The beach does have a drop off just out from the shore, so take care. There is a dukes restaurant close by, & the local Hawaiians will take you for an outrigger ride.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks in advance....

1. I'm not familiar with the other ports. I'll answer the Oahu questions, though.

2. The Bus here is a really great option to get to Pearl Harbor. Totally doable on your own. Just make sure to go online and get your tickets for the USS Arizona far ahead of time. They are free, so they go quickly. http://www.recreation.gov/showPage.do;jsessionid=B578F9CCCD1A7B229839FD6B192166AF.web08-ny?name=landing&landing=/htm/pearlharbor/home.jsp&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=72369

3. My two favorite Luau's are Germaine's and Paradise Cove. Germaine's is cheaper and I really like the food. Their hula show is a bit too Vegas IMO. Paradise Cove has a beautiful atmosphere, and food is good, and the show is nice. It's more expensive, though.

4. Can't answer this.

• 4 weeks later...
Have an amazing time! We loved our time in Hawaii and onboard the Pride of America.

What are your thoughts about the ship? I know everyone says don't worry if it's not a great ship because I will be off it all day but good food and service when I am on it (and of course a good balcony cabin) are important to me because I'm going to be onboard at night. However, I apparently have no choice on ships if I want to visit all four major islands or go during whale mating season.

A guidebook on Hawaii will do you a WORLD of good..knowing something about where you're going is essential to having a good time! Go to your library, and check one out. A bit of research will save you a bundle!

Better yet, buy a Hawaii book on Amazon. It is very unusual to get the updated version at a library. You also can use the "look inside" feature and read reviews if it is not a pre-order book. I have 30 Hawaii travel books in my wish list.

Better yet, buy a Hawaii book on Amazon. It is very unusual to get the updated version at a library. You also can use the "look inside" feature and read reviews if it is not a pre-order book. I have 30 Hawaii travel books in my wish list.

Agree that most guidebooks from the library (at least our library) aren't the latest edition, however, I think it's worthwhile to start with guide books from the library for a couple of reasons - it helps with deciding which guidebook you like the format of best, and it gives you the important information that doesn't change from one year or even decade to the next (which works well with initially planning a trip.) You can easily fill in the blanks with recent changes via a google search. Closer to the trip, I either buy the current edition of a guidebook or plan on taking a library copy with me.

IMO, it's better to have one 5 year old guidebook from the library for research now than 30 on your wish list.

Agree that most guidebooks from the library (at least our library) aren't the latest edition, however, I think it's worthwhile to start with guide books from the library for a couple of reasons - it helps with deciding which guidebook you like the format of best, and it gives you the important information that doesn't change from one year or even decade to the next (which works well with initially planning a trip.) You can easily fill in the blanks with recent changes via a google search. Closer to the trip, I either buy the current edition of a guidebook or plan on taking a library copy with me.

IMO, it's better to have one 5 year old guidebook from the library for research now than 30 on your wish list.

Of course I plan to get some books out of the library. Just saying it is important to have a combination of library and purchased books because no matter where you go, some information will change from year to year. I will not buy all 30.

Even the latest edition of a guide book will be missing some recent changes.

I didn't think you'd be buying all 30 - but getting just one is a good start.

For "shore." I know recently something happened at Pearl Harbor no guidebook could have kept up with. Isn't it great that books are no longer the only things I can use to plan a vacation?

What are your thoughts about the ship? I know everyone says don't worry if it's not a great ship because I will be off it all day but good food and service when I am on it (and of course a good balcony cabin) are important to me because I'm going to be onboard at night. However, I apparently have no choice on ships if I want to visit all four major islands or go during whale mating season.

The ship is not a run down old tub, ok? It's very pretty. It is not the Getaway, the Oasis, or the Regal Princess. It's a nice ship with a very decent crew, if you give them the time of day.

We spent most of our time off the ship; when we were on-board we were at the pools with our kids or playing ping pong. We are fortunate that our children aren't high maintenance and don't need things like rock walls or bumper cars or rope courses.

My husband has neck and back issues and was fine with the bed in our obstructed view cabin. I mention this because I read posts by you that beds are a major concern of yours.

We chose February because we, well I, wanted to see the whales. You may see them from the ship; more than likely you will. You should really take an excursion (either book with the ship or book your on your own) if you want the full effect of seeing them. Do this when you are on Maui.

I've heard the shows are good. I can't personally attest to this because we didn't see any. We were so wiped out we were in bed by 10PM every night, at the latest.

I hope this helps. I have a feeling you are pretty dead set against the Pride of America, though I honestly have no idea why, but I think it's probably because all you've read is what's on the Princess boards and they continually trash the POA and NCL over there. I know; I've read. ;)

Good luck with whatever you decide! My review's in my sig if you want to read it. There's pics, too.