How do the drinks packages work?

Aussiepommie

Hi

I am a first time cruiser and wondering whether to purchase a drinks package or pay as I go. My husband and I both enjoy wine and coffee such as a flat white. In purchasing a package either classic or premium what does this entitle you to and include?

Thanks in advance

Sue

Drinks packages vary by cruise line. Why don't you post your question on the forum for your particular cruise line? There will be many veterans of the line who can answer your question. On the general Alaska forum, not so much.

Edited by rpcv77
Punctuation

We have the unlimited beverage package on our upcoming Alaskan cruise and I have mixed feelings about it. We are doing a NCL cruise but I bet the UBP's are probably the same for all cruise lines. Basically you can get as many drinks as you want at the restaurants, the bars, and anywhere on the ship. There are a few restrictions so you may want to look at the fine print. In NCL's case each drink had to be under $10, and a few other things.

The reason I have mixed feelings is that on our last cruise out of New Orleans we had it and we partied from the time we got on the ship until the time we got off. There is no telling how many martinis, glasses of wine, bottles of beer, shots of tequilla, and other forms of alcohol we consumed on this 7 day cruise or what it would have cost us. We went to all the shows and closed all the bars down and had the best time we have ever had on a cruise ship.

But on the upcoming Alaskan cruise I am hoping I have a little more self control as we have not been to Alaska in almost 20 years and I do not want to miss out on it and we are going to do excursions at each stop. I am planning on taking a lot of pictures and have a great pair of binoculars and am looking forward to viewing as much wildlife as possible so something has got to give.

But if you like to drink the UBP I think when used within reason enhances your overall cruising experience and is well worth the money.

I'm not a big drinker but saw the soda package as well as the more extensive inclusive one where as another poster noted seemed to include any and all drinks prices < 10 bucks. My son and daughter being the good value shopper I taught them to be calculated how much one would have to drink of mixed drinks, glasses of wine, soda, etc. etc. The number of drinks that one has to consume to break even is a bit scary... I feel for your liver and gut :D

Edited by chipmaster

OP is on Celebrity. Posting on Celebrity boards will likely yield a much more comprehensive set of answers. Specifically, starting with this great thread: http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2167294

In that case I echo this comment! :p

"How do the drinks packages work?"

Really well! ��

The classic package allows you to have wines up to $8 and beers - I think $6. All coffees, bottled water (not Evian or sparkling); spirits up to a certain value. It is very good value and just let the bar crew know you are on the classic package and they will help out!

Thanks everyone for your help- I thought I was on the celebrity forum when I posted but obviously not!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Is there a cap per night or is it drinks until you want to stop?

Ask on the Celebrity board. There are differences between cruise line packages. Some have caps, some don't.

Thanks everyone for your help- I thought I was on the celebrity forum when I posted but obviously not!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Is there a cap per night or is it drinks until you want to stop?

There are no caps. You cant order 2 drinks with one card. There are price limits as outlined before.

I think that you do if you buy them individually. On the NCL cruise we took, with the unlimited beverage package, all tips and taxes were paid for as well. In our case we booked our Alaskan cruise under an offer that I believe NCL is still offering where we got the UBP free which is a pretty good perk. I think if you had to pay for it it would be about $900 for two people. Comparing that to buying individual drinks for two people on a seven day cruise at an average of $10 per drink after taxes and gratuities that would be ninety drinks for break even.

That works out to be about six or seven drinks per day per person on average for a seven day cruise. If NCL was not offering it for free on this Alaska cruise I probably would not be able to justify it. Although you get unlimited quantities of most of the other non-alcoholic beverages as well I do not anticipate closing the bars down every night like we did on our NOLA cruise. Among the other things they are offering for those booking now are free gratuities and free unlimited dinner package both of which have a value of about $200 for two people. The UBP was by far the best value being offered.

Edited by seemoreroyals