Restaurants in Anchorage and Talkeetna

GORDONCHICK

We will be spending 8 days inland on our own, and I'm looking for restaurant suggestions in or around Anchorage and Talkeetna. Please tell the name, the city/town, what kind of food they serve and why you like it.

There are 3 of us - two adults and one teen (14). The pickiest eater is actually DH. DS will try just about anything. We aren't looking for fancy at all. And moderately priced would be good as well.

We really liked the Moose's Tooth in Anchorage. They have unusual pizzas and great salads. I can't remember the pizza that we had but it was different from any that I had had before and it was excellent. I got the raspberry vinaigrette spinach salad and loved it.

We also ate at the Arctic Roadrunner burger place in Anchorage. It is an order-at-the-counter place. It was a little hectic and crowded but the burger was fine.

Both of these are away from downtown so you would have to drive there.

We really liked the Moose's Tooth in Anchorage. They have unusual pizzas and great salads. I can't remember the pizza that we had but it was different from any that I had had before and it was excellent. I got the raspberry vinaigrette spinach salad and loved it.

We also ate at the Arctic Roadrunner burger place in Anchorage. It is an order-at-the-counter place. It was a little hectic and crowded but the burger was fine.

Both of these are away from downtown so you would have to drive there.

Judy,

We will have a car. In which direction are these? Will we hit them going to girdwood?

Both Moose's Tooth and Arctic Roadrunner are in mid-town. If you are headed to Girwood from downtown, they'd be on the way. Both can be pretty busy.

Downtown, Simon & Seaforts has great food and good view, but is more on the spendy side.

Talkeetna has several good food places. The Flying Squirrel Bakery is on the way into town and has great baked goods. In town, Twister Creek was really good. So was Latitude 62. West Rib was good, but I'd still pick Twister Creek as my first choice.

If you are going through Wasilla at lunch time, Krazy Moose Subs has good sandwiches and is housed in one of the oldest building in the MatSu Valley. If you find yourself in Palmer, Humdinger's Pizza is really good.

Judy,

We will have a car. In which direction are these? Will we hit them going to girdwood?

Here is the website for the Moose's Tooth:

http://moosestooth.net/

3300 Old Seward Highway

Arctic Roadrunner

5300 Old Seward Highway

They are both south of downtown. If you can only go to one go to the Moose's Tooth. It will be crowed so go early.

I don't have personal experience since we are first timers and are not heading to Alaska until July. But the owner of the cabins where we are staying in Talkeetna highly recommended the Talkeetna Roadhouse for breakfast and the Wildflower Cafe for dinner. There are plenty of reviews for both on Trip Advisor.

The wildflower cafe in Talkeetna is a wonderful restaurant. The chef is not only a former Iditarod musher, but was a White house chef in the Bush administration...The food is excellent...The west Rib is another local place in Talkeetna...decent food but in the past years has become more touristic than I care for. The Roadhouse in Talkeetna has decent food and wonderful pies. In fact they give classes on how to make pies....and it is a great class too...In Anchorage there are a lot of good restaurants...Seafood...try the Bridge...downtown....kinda pricey but all you can eat appetizers and some of the best fish you will find in Alaska. If you like oysters? try the Bubbly mermaid, right off of 4th Avenue. Fat Ptarmigan on 5th and I think G street....next door to the hard rock, has great pizza and good meatball sandwiches. F St. Station, off of 4th and F St....is very crowded, reasonable for Anchorage and has excellent food...which is why it is crowded..Simon and Seaforts is good....however I think people need to know that it is a chain...upscale chain, perhaps...but a chain never the less....that said, it is a wonderful place to spend an early happy hour if you can get a table by the window.....I focused mostly on downtown restaurants...because that is where most people go....For a high end meal...you can't beat the Marx bros...in a very small private house made into a restaurant overlooking their herb gardens...Reservations are absolutely necessary in the summer. If you like Ethnic food, because of our high Asian population, almost any Thai or Vietnamese place will be good. Exception...Chinese restaurants....they are all owned by Koreans and serve Chinese/American meals...That said, the Korean restaurants are usually very, very good. We don't live far from Seoul....:)

As far as Anchorage F St. Station,Club Paris and Humpy's are all downtown. You could also resort to having a Reindeer Dog from one of the many street vendors! Mooses Tooth and Artic Burger are a ways from downtown. Mooses Tooth also opened another place called Bear Paw I believe but haven't been there yet.

Have a great trip.

Often time visitors claim food prices are so high in Anchorage. We travel the world and I have a difficult time understanding that.

You'd be surprised at how many people eat at the food court at Costco. Consumer Reports just listed them as #6 out of the 68 largest supermarket chains in the US for all around quality and service, which also gave them a top rating for "Store-Prepared Food Quality".

Their pizza is among the best if not the best in town and is very cheap. $10.00 for a gigantic pizza, for something like less than $2.50 for a very large slice plus soda. They also serve huge top quality hot dogs or polish sausage dogs @ $1.50 which includes a large soda including refills and kraut added if you want it. In addition they have four or five other items some of which are fairly nutritious. Portions are large, much more than I can eat, I don't believe any item sells for over $4.50. Family of four can walk out of there, stuffed, for less than a ten dollar bill.

Two Costcos in Anchorage, both in prominent locations on the way out or into town, one in the northeast (Debarr) and the other to the south on Dimond. Of course you need a Costco membership card. Everyone in Alaska, almost, has one.

Now, if you are into more traditional establishments or Mom and Pops, fast food or fine cuisine dining, I suggest going over to Trip Advisor (Parent Company of C.C.) Find "restaurants" Anchorage, Alaska and you will get "all you need to know and more" for eating here including top ratings high and low.

Edited by kennicott

Those looking for a moderately priced restaurant in Anchorage and enjoy salmon should consider Humpy's (think humpback salmon); in the past their website has posted the menu.

Another restaurant I enjoy in Anchorage is Fletchers, located in the ground level of the Captain Cook Hotel. They serve bistro style fare.

You'd be surprised at how many people eat at the food court at Costco. Consumer Reports just listed them as #6 out of the 68 largest supermarket chains in the US for all around quality and service, which also gave them a top rating for "Store-Prepared Food Quality".

Their pizza is among the best if not the best in town and is very cheap. $10.00 for a gigantic pizza, for something like less than $2.50 for a very large slice plus soda. They also serve huge top quality hot dogs or polish sausage dogs @ $1.50 which includes a large soda including refills and kraut added if you want it. In addition they have four or five other items some of which are fairly nutritious. Portions are large, much more than I can eat, I don't believe any item sells for over $4.50. Family of four can walk out of there, stuffed, for less than a ten dollar bill.

Yes, but I can get that at home. Had a Costco dog yesterday. :rolleyes:

I've been using Trip Advisor long before I found CC, but when I have the option of "chatting" with people about their experience instead of reading a review, I'm going to take it. Oh, and Costco isn't on my list of things to do and places to see while there.

But I do appreciate everyone's suggestions.

I've been using Trip Advisor long before I found CC, but when I have the option of "chatting" with people about their experience instead of reading a review, I'm going to take it. Oh, and Costco isn't on my list of things to do and places to see while there.

But I do appreciate everyone's suggestions.

Well that's good. Usually when I comment on C.C. regarding decent places to eat in Anchorage the O.P.'s freak out about cost, they are on limited budgets so it seems, so quality eateries is not what they are after, doesn't concern them as they just want to eat on the fly, so to speak, but with Costco, I give you/them the very best, for those on the limited budgets who usually ask these questions, anyway I'm not joking about Costco.

So now, back to the original quest, we eat out a lot here in Anchorage, especially on theatre nights, and we do rate them as best we can. It would be very difficult to be in the fine gourmet cuisine business down-town as there are quite a number which are very good. If not, they won't be there all that long. But in order to limit my recommendations, I name only three, the first isn't downtown but close to midtown.

#1 Kincaid Grill----Don't let the "Grill" part fool you here as it is the top in high quality gourmet dining by world standards, in our opinion, and has been for a while, "Chef Al" own's it, not cheap, but you want quality food--much with an Alaskan flare, it is here. Number one, as well, on the Trip Advisor, out of 6 or 7 hundred Anchorage restaurants. I could go on and on over Al's achievements, but right now he is the best. Second though, is the Marx Brothers on 3rd but we haven't been able to eat there for quite sometime and I notice their ratings slipped a bit, just a little though.

#2 M.A.'s Gourmet Dogs---- "Mike"---Specialty is his reindeer sausage that is made just for him locally---Right on 4th Avenue, you can't miss it. Not top quality cuisine obviously, but top in the romance of the town, plus he does serve a super great hot dog. Take my grand kids down there when ever I get the chance.

Love Mike's reindeer....as you look at the Public Parks Building on the corner of 4th and F St., Mike is the vendor at the left of the steps....He normally has his dog with him....best dogs in town....tourists, judges, lawyers from court across the st and just about everyone else flocks to him...MA's has been in business 25 years I think....

I've been using Trip Advisor long before I found CC, but when I have the option of "chatting" with people about their experience instead of reading a review, I'm going to take it.

I still believe that Trip Advisor is the way to go when looking for eateries in Anchorage. Since almost 95% of the reviewers are local one gets the opinion of residents. If a particular review looks enticing and the reader wants additional information, Trip Advisor provides for that by allowing direct contact with the reviewer, in most cases, so you do have the opportunity to "chat" with someone with first hand familiarity of an establishment.

I often receive requests for such, but usually it regards my reviews of attractions rather than restaurants.

• 2 weeks later...

Sourdough Mining Co is my top choice if there was only one day in town. We aren't into "fine dining", we're more chain restaurant type people, but I liked the theme-y atmosphere and ice cream bar. I would say it's a family oriented restaurant. My 7 year old son would really like it. Our cruise is RT from Seattle though, but next time- it's on my short list. (I used to live there)

Edited by min2758

Another cheap restaurant that is really local and has really good food is Peggy's across from Merrill Field. They have excellent pies, home cooked meals and a very local place. I believe that most of Sarah Palin's kids worked here as servers at one time or another....very informal, and pretty darn good. Another place that is open mid May to September is the Bridge, overlooking Ships Crreek..wonderful seafood...all you can eat Tanners crab as an appetizer, and some of the best sal on in town....also, I think the best rhubarb crumble in the world...

Another cheap restaurant that is really local and has really good food is Peggy's across from Merrill Field. They have excellent pies, home cooked meals and a very local place. I believe that most of Sarah Palin's kids worked here as servers at one time or another....very informal, and pretty darn good. Another place that is open mid May to September is the Bridge, overlooking Ships Crreek..wonderful seafood...all you can eat Tanners crab as an appetizer, and some of the best sal on in town....also, I think the best rhubarb crumble in the world...

Both of those sound really yummy! What's the price range for the Bridge? My goal while in AK is to eat all the halibut I can!

Another restaurant that is not bad and in an excellent location, for out of town visitors, is "The Flattop Cafe".

It is located inside Cabela's, a relatively new sporting and outdoor goods store in Anchorage. What makes it such an attraction isn't necessarily the goods they have for sale but the small fortune they have put into displays throughout the store featuring Alaska wildlife and other scenes. A lot of people take their kids out there just to see the professional exhibits. There is nothing else in Alaska like it, even our museums don't come close. Back in 1960 when President Eisenhower visited Anchorage, down-town on 5th was the Jonas Brother's store. They had a similar display but not near as extensive or professional as the ones in Cabela's today but that was one place they took Eisenhower to see. Jonas Brothers is no longer here.

As you might expect they have a huge range of merchandise including camping, fishing, hunting, BBQ, you name it. The visitor might be interested in their unique Alaskan caps, T-shirts and other clothing items. They have a lot of just general every day wear clothing, most of it of the outdoor variety though. What I like about the place is that it differs from most of these hunting goods stores in that the clothing is not all the camo stuff but just ordinary wear. I hate to look like a strutting G.I. Joe so I don't purchase any of that stuff. Of course, they do have a huge selection of that as well.

Anyway, back to the eatery, it is a deli non-chain type. I know they have wild game dishes and serve an Alaska red salmon deli type sandwich, not sure about halibut in the summer though. They serve breakfast and lunch, don't know about dinner but it is pretty good and moderately priced. The name comes from a prominent hiking trail mountain on the east side of Anchorage.

Easy to get to, if you have wheels, located on the south side of Anchorage, just get on C Street, you can't miss it, on the way out or into town. On a huge lot, the same one Target occupies.

Another restaurant that is not bad and in an excellent location, for out of town visitors, is "The Flattop Cafe".

It is located inside Cabela's, a relatively new sporting and outdoor goods store in Anchorage. What makes it such an attraction isn't necessarily the goods they have for sale but the small fortune they have put into displays throughout the store featuring Alaska wildlife and other scenes. A lot of people take their kids out there just to see the professional exhibits. There is nothing else in Alaska like it, even our museums don't come close. Back in 1960 when President Eisenhower visited Anchorage, down-town on 5th was the Jonas Brother's store. They had a similar display but not near as extensive or professional as the ones in Cabela's today but that was one place they took Eisenhower to see. Jonas Brothers is no longer here.

As you might expect they have a huge range of merchandise including camping, fishing, hunting, BBQ, you name it. The visitor might be interested in their unique Alaskan caps, T-shirts and other clothing items. They have a lot of just general every day wear clothing, most of it of the outdoor variety though. What I like about the place is that it differs from most of these hunting goods stores in that the clothing is not all the camo stuff but just ordinary wear. I hate to look like a strutting G.I. Joe so I don't purchase any of that stuff. Of course, they do have a huge selection of that as well.

Anyway, back to the eatery, it is a deli non-chain type. I know they have wild game dishes and serve an Alaska red salmon deli type sandwich, not sure about halibut in the summer though. They serve breakfast and lunch, don't know about dinner but it is pretty good and moderately priced. The name comes from a prominent hiking trail mountain on the east side of Anchorage.

Easy to get to, if you have wheels, located on the south side of Anchorage, just get on C Street, you can't miss it, on the way out or into town. On a huge lot, the same one Target occupies.

Cool! We LOVE Cabela's! We are getting one here in OKC this fall. We usually stop at them on any road trip. Good chance to stretchy the legs and wander around. We already have BassPro here, and they have really good exhibits, too.

• 1 month later...

Another good place...not fancy at all and cheap is Peggy's across from Merril field. Don't think anything on the menu is over $10.00 and great pies. They are known for their pies. Like I said, a totally local place,,probably would never find a tourist in their but the fish is fresh and the food is good...