First cruise, Austin to Galveston commute this Sunday

Hello veteran cruisers! May I ask for your advice and comments about the commute to Galveston including exactly where to be dropped off once in Galveston. We are leaving Austin early morning (with an elderly) and will be dropped off (no parking needed). What should we expect for pick up on disembarkation? Is the drop off the same place as the pick up location? How bad is the traffic on Sundays to Houston and into Galveston? Thank you for your time.

Hello veteran cruisers! May I ask for your advice and comments about the commute to Galveston including exactly where to be dropped off once in Galveston. We are leaving Austin early morning (with an elderly) and will be dropped off (no parking needed). What should we expect for pick up on disembarkation? Is the drop off the same place as the pick up location? How bad is the traffic on Sundays to Houston and into Galveston? Thank you for your time.

Same terminal, but not quite exactly the same place. They will direct you and the vehicle that is picking you up to the right location.

Here are some directions to the pier. I don't know if the info about contruction applies anymore:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=43374833&postcount=3

there are enough people there to assist that you really have nothing to be anxious about. they will direct you, and you'll be fine.

my only advice is get there early.

Edited by hince57

I went into Galveston a day early (Saturday) and I can say the traffic between Houston and Galveston was horrendous.

I always like to get on the ship as early as possible to start my vacation ASAP but keep in mind if you do that, you won't be able to access your stateroom for at least a few hours.

Plan some extra time to get down there and be pleasantly surprised if there is less traffic. The area around the port is quite nice for shopping.

Edited by Rewind

Houston to Galveston on a Sunday is not bad but the weather has been bad all week here so I would give yourself a little extra time. We will be leaving this Sunday as well and plan to leave Houston early and get theier early enough to not have to worry about anything.