Tipping in England

SID1962

I salute Kezz with his generosity, but he is in a very, very small minority. Tipping pub bar-staff is done very rarely, especially if you are in a pub that you seldom frequent. The exception would be if you were in your local, when you might occasionally tell the barman/maid to 'And one for yourself' in which case they would charge the equivalent of half a pint or so, and add it to the tip jar. However, most 'chain' type pubs do not allow this approach.

I salute Kezz with his generosity, but he is in a very, very small minority. Tipping pub bar-staff is done very rarely, especially if you are in a pub that you seldom frequent. The exception would be if you were in your local, when you might occasionally tell the barman/maid to 'And one for yourself' in which case they would charge the equivalent of half a pint or so, and add it to the tip jar. However, most 'chain' type pubs do not allow this approach.

So was leaving the change wrong in pubs? We always did this and they seemed appreciative. It looked to be what other patrons (locals as we were not in tourist areas) were doing.

What about when you order food? When we were seated in a pub and ordered food we left about 10% if there was no service included. Figured 10% and rounded up to the nearest pound.

Edited by ducklite

I'd have to say that most locals would not 'leave' change. If it's a few coppers [cents] then you might put them in a charity box that many pubs have on the bar.

I certainly wouldn't give a tip for having a meal in a pub, unless the service was fantastic and certainly 10% is way over the top. £1 or £2 at the most. Pub staff are not necessarily that well paid, but they get much more than their US counterparts, which is why tipping is not needed.

So was leaving the change wrong in pubs? We always did this and they seemed appreciative. It looked to be what other patrons (locals as we were not in tourist areas) were doing.

What about when you order food? When we were seated in a pub and ordered food we left about 10% if there was no service included. Figured 10% and rounded up to the nearest pound.

In the nicest possible way, Kezz is the odd one out. Probably because he's spent a lot more time on the other side of the bar - Wowzz is much more typical.

If its a quiet pub or hotel bar, & you & the barman spend time sorting out the world's problems (can't expect hairdressers & taxi-drivers to sort them out without help ;)) then buying the barman a drink is quite common. Other than that, we don't tip bar staff.

But you've got it right on pub meals. Around 10% is about the norm for full service, a couple or three pounds if you have to order at the bar etc. More if more is deserved, none if none is deserved, but it's no big deal.

Uncommon, but something I do from time to time. For an exceptional meal, I'll ask the wait staff send my compliments to the kitchen & buy the chef a drink, & put it on my tab.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

I'd have to say that most locals would not 'leave' change. If it's a few coppers [cents] then you might put them in a charity box that many pubs have on the bar.

I certainly wouldn't give a tip for having a meal in a pub, unless the service was fantastic and certainly 10% is way over the top. £1 or £2 at the most. Pub staff are not necessarily that well paid, but they get much more than their US counterparts, which is why tipping is not needed.

Interesting. We looked at what locals were doing--and they were locals, knew each other, knew the barkeep, all talk about local happenings (much ado about Jeremy Clarkson and a controversial article that had appeared in Time Out the previous week when we were visiting) and they were definitely leaving the change. I don't mean the pound coins, but the smaller value coins for sure. I don't recall seeing a charity box on the bar, although freely admit I might have missed it. We were in pubs in Chiswick, Hammersmith, Chelsea, South Kensington, Knightsbridge, St John's Wood, Kings Cross, Camden Town, and a couple of others I don't remember, so had a decent cross section of neighborhoods, most not really "tourist" places. A few had a service charge automatic on food, and with those we left the payment to the next highest pound rather than wait for change.

In the nicest possible way, Kezz is the odd one out. Probably because he's spent a lot more time on the other side of the bar - Wowzz is much more typical.

If its a quiet pub or hotel bar, & you & the barman spend time sorting out the world's problems (can't expect hairdressers & taxi-drivers to sort them out without help ;)) then buying the barman a drink is quite common. Other than that, we don't tip bar staff.

But you've got it right on pub meals. Around 10% is about the norm for full service, a couple or three pounds if you have to order at the bar etc. More if more is deserved, none if none is deserved, but it's no big deal.

Uncommon, but something I do from time to time. For an exceptional meal, I'll ask the wait staff send my compliments to the kitchen & buy the chef a drink, & put it on my tab.

JB :)

We had one place we had to order food at the bar and it was brought out to us--The Greyhound Pub in Kensington. Loved the food, although it wasn't our favorite for atmosphere or service. I think we left £3 on a £45 bill. Seemed fair enough as she did check back to make sure the food was right and see if we wanted pudding, and brought us a second drinks order. (The first we got from the bar while ordering the food)

All of the other pubs we ate at had full table service.

Now not working in the Pub game. (Bar) the pubs I go in are my locals. So yes I look after the staff that look after me.

It's only 50p per visit, not per drink. (Did say I was a tight git)(tis annoying when the staff change over, cost me another 50p) ;(

I agree with the rest of answers. Don't tip for bar food, unless an Oscar was needed. Tip 10% in Restaurants.

Kezz