Question for Cruisin Linda

Hi Linda,

Pleased to read that your recent cruise on Oceana was a success!

Like you, we are taking our first P & O cruise - on Oriana - end of May,- and have just downloaded our E-tickets with check-in at 2pm. - As we are holidaying with three friends who will be travelling independently from their home in Beaulieu, Hants, will we be able to check in together even if they are issued with a different time to arrive? - or do P & O enforce the allocated check-in times.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Ginny

Hi Linda,

Pleased to read that your recent cruise on Oceana was a success!

Like you, we are taking our first P & O cruise - on Oriana - end of May,- and have just downloaded our E-tickets with check-in at 2pm. - As we are holidaying with three friends who will be travelling independently from their home in Beaulieu, Hants, will we be able to check in together even if they are issued with a different time to arrive? - or do P & O enforce the allocated check-in times.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Ginny

Hi Ginny, Our check in time was 2pm. We went down by train and arrived about 1pm. We went up the stairs to the check in and they gave us a card with a letter on and called us in turn. We checked in the same as Thomson, then we went on the ship and up to the buffet. The cabins were not ready until 2pm and a message was given out when they were ready. Not sure why they give the times really, as when you arrive you can go on board (within reason, lol)

Vera (happyV) has been on Oriana, so she may be able to tell you anything you need to know about the ship.

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

Our experience has been that they process you as you arrive irrespective of the indicative check-in times. There has been talk of them tightening up but so far people are reporting that you can still join the registration procedure on arrival.

Hi Vera.

Do you know how much they were charging for the North Cape trip when you were last on?

That's me assuming your cruise went to Honningsvag.

Sorry Joe we only went to Tromso and Alta. However all the trips were quite expensive, some extortionate!

Are you going to the North Cape? I think that's next on my list.

Edited by happy v

Hi Vera.

Do you know how much they were charging for the North Cape trip when you were last on?

That's me assuming your cruise went to Honningsvag.

I don't think there are many options joe. There really isn't a lot at Honningsvag and not a lot of infrastructure for DiY. A trip to the Cape is about it or they may offer some nature trips or water type trips on RIBs etc but there isn't much in the vicinity so I think it's worth doing a trip of some sort really. We've been to the North Cape a couple of times and did enjoy the trip over the rugged landscape with a stop at a Sami 'camp' (very contrived) but you do get to see a reindeer up close and there is an interesting visitor centre at the Cape plus the iconic sculpture. Do go prepared though - good job we knew where it was the second time we went - the fog was so thick it would have been easy to miss it! We had windproof jackets, hats, gloves and scarves on that day but next day it was 30°C in Tromso!

Can't remember what we paid on Thomson but we've found P&O excursion prices pretty comparable to similar ones we've done with Thomson. (Drink prices similar too.) But Norway is very expensive so perhaps excursions are inflated prices there as a result.

Edited by kruzseeka

Thanks Vera & Kruzseeka.

Thinking of the 15th July cruise up there.

We are getting a bit "medded out" if there is such a term and fancy something a bit different, we have been to the Fjords but M&D haven't and we know they would like the scenery. It's the chance of bad weather that's putting us in 2 minds.....

The North cape DIY coach works out at £50 each inc the entrance fee, but it's the usual things like port timings and whether the coach that comes back around 6pm would get us back in time for the ship departure. If the weather is bad we might not dock there at all and it would be money wasted on a pre-booked trip. Probably best just to do the ships tour and accept what it costs.

The other trip we would like is the Briksdal Glacier, I bet they charge a fortune for that as well.

Thanks Vera & Kruzseeka.

Thinking of the 15th July cruise up there.

We are getting a bit "medded out" if there is such a term and fancy something a bit different, we have been to the Fjords but M&D haven't and we know they would like the scenery. It's the chance of bad weather that's putting us in 2 minds.....

The North cape DIY coach works out at £50 each inc the entrance fee, but it's the usual things like port timings and whether the coach that comes back around 6pm would get us back in time for the ship departure. If the weather is bad we might not dock there at all and it would be money wasted on a pre-booked trip. Probably best just to do the ships tour and accept what it costs.

The other trip we would like is the Briksdal Glacier, I bet they charge a fortune for that as well.

Kruzseeka knows a great site which has the port times on. We were delayed on a couple of ours though, but summer sailings shouldn,t be as bad. Also there was something wrong with the engine I think.

A Glacier too, you're making me quite jealous, but I don't think we'll be able to go this year.

Joe I've found the site Kruzseeka gave me it's...........

ports.cruisett.com

Also on Fred Olsen site you can view excursions and prices before booking. I know there is a cruise going to Honningsvag from Newcastle (unfortunately it won't have me on it :() but I'm sure the prices will be quite similar.

Yes happy v - that site is so helpful as P&O have a really annoying way of stating port times in your cruise schedule; early morning, morning, early afternoon, afternoon, etc. The time ranges from maximum to minimum number of hours within these 2/3 hour slots makes a huge difference when planning independent travel. Naughty. Why be so vague?

Anyway that site will give you the times as booked into the ports. It also tells you which other ships are there too so you can get an idea of the pressure on taxis etc.

Joe - Honningsvag was a tender port for us on one occasion - must have been another ship in - and the Capt had to work really hard to maintain position as the weather wasn't great and the ship was rotating round it's anchor point. Tenders were suspended for a bit at one time. We've only been in June/July so it was summer too. So perhaps worth being wary of booking ahead on independent trips.

But Norway is fabulous. I adore the majesty and serenity. So calming yet makes the spirit soar - if that's not a contradiction! So I'm sure your M&D will love it. There's so much to enjoy sailing down the Fjords too from the comfort of a lounge on board. Iceland is fab too - some trips include both countries but again to make the most of it you're really into a couple of big trips there - in an expensive country.

Anyway hope you find something suitable and that the weather is great for you. :)

Can anyone remind me of the site that I will find ships in port including Thomson as I just checked ports.cruisett.com for Dubrovnik and .....no Thomson ships!

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/ should do it. Either go into Departure ports (which I guess is the one you want if you are boarding at Dubrovnik unless you're on Majesty and it's a one day mid vruise stop) or you can go into Destinations. It will throw up on each date which ships are in port. Don't be put off if you see the same ship about three times - that happens if they have varying length of cruises leaving form the port eg. 5 day, 10 day and 14 day - it happens quite a lot in the Aegean with passengers getting on and off at several different ports. (I think the old Destiny is on that type of cruise now.) But it threw me the first time and I thought there were loads more ships in port than there were.

Don't know why but quite often Thomson ships don't come up on that cruisett site. But if you go into the ports on the dates you are there at least you should be able to see the other ships there.

Edited by kruzseeka

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/ should do it. Either go into Departure ports (which I guess is the one you want if you are boarding at Dubrovnik unless you're on Majesty and it's a one day mid vruise stop) or you can go into Destinations. It will throw up on each date which ships are in port. Don't be put off if you see the same ship about three times - that happens if they have varying length of cruises leaving form the port eg. 5 day, 10 day and 14 day - it happens quite a lot in the Aegean with passengers getting on and off at several different ports. (I think the old Destiny is on that type of cruise now.) But it threw me the first time and I thought there were loads more ships in port than there were.

Don't know why but quite often Thomson ships don't come up on that cruisett site. But if you go into the ports on the dates you are there at least you should be able to see the other ships there.

Thanks Kruzseeka. That's the one!! Just wanting to check how many ships in Dubrovnik to see how crowded it might be. Have written it down now so won't forget.

Many thanks Linda and others for your helpful advice re P&O check-in times.

Also thankyou Happy V for your offer to answer any questions about Oriana.

I think I've pretty much done my homework, but will get back to you if any

questions come to mind.

Very much looking forward to a new adventure with P & O - sailing from Southampton for the first time as always done fly cruises before. - BUT I will miss cruising on the Dream this year!!- I just love that ship and always feel so at home on her.

Ginny

Many thanks Linda and others for your helpful advice re P&O check-in times.

Also thankyou Happy V for your offer to answer any questions about Oriana.

I think I've pretty much done my homework, but will get back to you if any

questions come to mind.

Very much looking forward to a new adventure with P & O - sailing from Southampton for the first time as always done fly cruises before. - BUT I will miss cruising on the Dream this year!!- I just love that ship and always feel so at home on her.

Ginny

Sailing from Southampton is such a joy - no luggage allowance and hanging about an airport at 4 in the morning waiting! Let us know how you got on when you get back.

Happy cruising - hope the weather's as nice for you as it is here today! ;)

I like:

http://www.whatsinport.com/

It has some good tips for the ports and when you click on the Cruise Calendar link it either sends you to cruisetimetables.com or the actual port authority page. I like cruisetimetables as it's easy to track what other ships will be in port with you.

I always take the timings from these and indeed even the ones from Thomsons website with a pinch of salt, they are only really a guide, things can change on a weekly basis.

You can only find out the P&O excursion prices once you are booked and using the cruise personaliser.

We are thinking (well I am thinking ;);) ) about another P&O cruise from Southampton. So easy for us - 69 miles away from Oxford. Load up the car and go about 10am, take as much luggage as you like, much more civilised :)

Why didn't Thomson put the Discovery in Southampton for the summer? No excuses about emissions and older ships :mad:

We are thinking (well I am thinking ;);) ) about another P&O cruise from Southampton. So easy for us - 69 miles away from Oxford. Load up the car and go about 10am, take as much luggage as you like, much more civilised :)

Why didn't Thomson put the Discovery in Southampton for the summer? No excuses about emissions and older ships :mad:

Just in general Linda - or have you something in mind?

Agree about Discovery! At least it would be doing areas not offered currently like the Baltic/Iceland/Norway/Round the UK/Channel ports/ Portugal/Channel islands etc. The med is a bit over-represented I reckon.

Edited by kruzseeka

Thinking of Canaries in September for our 45th wedding anniversary. As our 40th was overshadowed by our bereavement, I thought it would be nice for us to celebrate this one.

Not sure what the Ventura is like. I shall have to go over to P&O boards and ask :eek::eek::D

Thinking of Canaries in September for our 45th wedding anniversary. As our 40th was overshadowed by our bereavement, I thought it would be nice for us to celebrate this one.

Not sure what the Ventura is like. I shall have to go over to P&O boards and ask :eek::eek::D

It would be lovely for you to celebrate your Anniversary by going on a cruise - and I hope it's everything you hope for. We've not been on Ventura - I think it's the same size as Azura.

Sister ship to Azura. Better top deck arrangements as it does not have a sea screen and does have a covered pool. This is welcome on dull/cold days and forms a useful overflow area for the buffet.

The Exchange main bar is an awful souless place IMO. The Glass House is good and was even better when it was called Ramblas ;)

everything else pretty much the same just different names/decor.

Agree about Discovery! At least it would be doing areas not offered currently like the Baltic/Iceland/Norway/Round the UK/Channel ports/ Portugal/Channel islands etc. The med is a bit over-represented I reckon.

I'd be up for this as well.

It would be even better if it popped in to Newcastle on the way up!;):D