Mitsugirly takes great PRIDE in bringing her Spring Break extreme review

mitsugirly

Another great review, I will be going on my first cruise in November and your reviews have been helpful in my research. I seen you were sailing on the Pride and automatically thought Pride of America on NCL since most of your post are there lol!

So I want to take some time to talk about this snorkeling area. One would not think that there's much here, but I was pretty satisfied with it and it made for a good day. There was plenty to see along the wall with soft coral and fish and there were a few things out in the water as well.

What made it really nice is that you could stand up in all of it...even the munchkins. So they were able to snorkel with us and see everything that we did...without a life jacket. That meant no arguing with Sakari over how she's a "big girl" and didn't need one.

The hubby didn't have his goggles with him so he kinda just stood up and walked along pointing out things to me and I'd go under and take the picture. We came up with a "plan" and it worked out pretty darn good if I say so myself. He made the mistake of saying to me "I'm your assistant and I'm at your disposal" HA HA (I said in my Vincent Price laugh). So here's the plan...I'm going to lay down in the water in a floating position. You are going to grab my legs and kinda push me along slowly. If I give you a hand signal or a jerk of the legs, you stop. I'm taking pictures. Another jerk of the leg means move again. hehe It worked out perfect. I saved energy (lol) and he was able to keep me really still while I focused on the pictures and (he claims) the view was one of the best from where he was standing. wink wink He said he'd be my assistant "any time you need me to be". Geesh, men.

P4090150%20%282%29%20copy-M.jpg

A huge school of fish that were darting in every direction all synchronized together as if they had planned it that way. There were hundreds of them.

P4090169%20copy-M.jpg

P4090170%20copy-M.jpg

P4090175%20%282%29%20copy-M.jpg

This entire area was up and down the rocks at the beginning. It's that area close to where you rent the expensive cabana/house with the slide into the water. They had that area roped off and we went down the wall, around the roped area, then back to the other side and down that wall.

Do you see anything?

P4090179%20%282%29%20copy-M.jpg

It's another flat flounder fish with the eyes on the top. I'm telling you, they are just everywhere...you just have to look.

Another one of my many attempts to get a good shot of an underwater/overwater picture. It just wasn't happening this cruise.

P4090181-2%20copy-M.jpg

P4090185%20copy-M.jpg

P4090186%20copy-M.jpg

I love feather dusters aka worms. I use to have an entire aquarium full of them. One quick movement and they suck themselves back into their stem. Then slowly and gently come back out.

P4090187%20copy-M.jpg

P4090188%20copy-M.jpg

P4090191%20copy-M.jpg

P4090192%20copy-M.jpg

P4090205%20copy-M.jpg

Kendra took off on her own for a minute and came back telling me she had found a few reef balls. Now the only other place I have seen these (and there were hundreds) was in November at Paradise Cove/Dead Mans Reef in Freeport. I went over to explore.

P4090207%20copy-M.jpg

We only found (I think) 3 of them thank goodness. So you were able to swim around them and not get trapped like you do at Paradise Cove.

There was a momma fish in this one and every time we came near, she darted out of there and then darted toward us. She was very protective of it. I didn't notice because I didn't want to disturb her, but Kendra said there were little black things around the holes. I figured those were her eggs she was protecting.

P4090210%20copy-M.jpg

P4090212%20copy-M.jpg

We had our snorkeling fun and decided we had better pack up our things and start to head back if we planned on stopping by the shopping area and getting something before leaving.

A lot of people were already gone by now and the place was starting to look deserted. The workers there were already stacking the chairs up (just like they do on the ship) in the area we were in.

Kendra had brought her rolling gym bag luggage, that we both have one of to use to carry on our pop for each cruise, and she was struggling to pull it in the the sand. Great idea not having to carry a beach bag, but I'm not so sure about having to pull it in sand and then the sand being stuck in the wheels.

We headed back to this place where I would purchase a tee shirt and a lady put a shell bracelet in a small paper bag and handed it to Sakari.

P4090225%20copy-M.jpg

Then off we went toward the tenders.

P4090216%20copy-M.jpg

P4090217%20copy-M.jpg

P4090231%20copy-M.jpg

There was a small line waiting for the tender and it was now 4pm.

P4090232%20copy-M.jpg

Sisters...

P4090233%20copy-M.jpg

The tender came and on we went. We waited and waited and waited...

The started bringing the staff on with us and food and rolling carts. Were we the last tender of the day? We didn't pull away until 4:30pm, so I guess we were.

P4090234%20copy-M.jpg

I ended up moving down to make room for others and ended up with the worse spot to take pictures while leaving and arriving to the ship.

P4090236%20copy-M.jpg

Goodbye HMC

P4090237%20copy-M.jpg

P4090238%20copy-M.jpg

Here we come our beautiful Pride.

P4090240%20copy-M.jpg

P4090241%20copy-M.jpg

We made it back to the ship and the ship was actually pulling out a little before 5pm as originally scheduled. Hey I guess if everyone's back on board, why wait right?

We headed to the room and I headed for my balcony to get the last shot as we left.

P4090243%20copy-M.jpg

MY FINAL THOUGHTS ON HALF MOON CAY:

This place was gorgeous. The sand was so soft and powdery. The water was perfect and crystal clear.

The grounds were well taken care of and I loved the little pathways and landscaping.

I loved the way they had different shelters to eat at (I just wish there was an easier way to tell them apart so you don't get lost).

The pavilion where you get your food was huge and plenty of different areas with the same food so it didn't get congested.

They had plenty of drink stations instead of just one.

The pirate ship was a nice added touch. There were people enjoying the bar inside, but no one upstairs. I believe it would just be too darn hot to sit up there in the sun. But, I loved how they had the jagged cut outs in it for some awesome pictures of the ship and beach.

The shops and port area was small, but nice and it didn't feel like you were in a "touristy" spot by having it that way.

The colorful houses and cabanas made it look "Bahamian" and was a nice added touch with the bold colors.

The snorkeling, even though it was a sandy beach, was pretty awesome and plenty to see along the wall.

The kids park, well nothing major, but the kids sure did enjoy it, so an added plus.

So obviously I liked the place. I would have loved to see a little more of it or even toured the area, but it made for a free day and hey, I like free. (Well other than the $25 for the clamshell rental).

I would ABSOLUTELY love to go here again. I have heard people talk about this place for years now saying it's their favorite. While it's not my "favorite" it's definitely ranked up there with the best and a "gotta go back again some day" place for sure.

Did I like it more than NCL's Great Stirrup Cay? I think I did actually. When I ask Kendra about it, she said she liked GSC better but couldn't give me a reason why. Hmmm. I'm not really sure. I know that I would like to return to both and then try to make a decision again. :D

When I book again with Carnival, if it goes here, it will definitely influence my decision.

This place wins hands down over Grand Turk any day and it's just what I was expecting. :)

Well I have a little more to go to finish out the rest of that day, but I think I'm going to call it a night. I've had a long day at work (Thursdays are my busy days) and I'm tired.

I will continue some time tomorrow. Thanks again for reading and I hope you are still enjoying the review (it's a little quiet in here tonight).

Hi all!

mitsugirly ~ I was sorry to read on the other thread that you didn't get to see the towel animals around the pool. That would have been fun for the kids & even for big kids like myself!;) I came upon it by chance once & wonder why they don't post it in the daily paper.

Nice that they had Dr Seuss on this ship & the Fuzzie/Furries? on the other one. Fun for the kiddos.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you like Dawn & Bermuda too. I took Breakaway there & loved it (Bermuda not the ship) & have been on Dawn twice on different itineraries.

I can't wait to see HMC in your pictures either, it's such a beautiful place.

~ Jo ~:)

We got to see the towel animals on our Dream cruise and back then, we had no idea that they did anything like this. Sakari was so excited when she seen them. However, she's older now and I really wanted her to see them on this ship because I had seen pictures of the BIG towel animals with boots on and drinks in hand and I just knew she would get a kick out of it. I really wish they would let you know ahead of time when they were going to do it. I would have gotten up earlier and went down there.

I'll know better next time and I will ask prior to the cruise when they do it.

Yes, we really enjoyed the Dr Suess. It was a lot of fun and now that we have our "costumes" and door decorations, I hope the next ship we pick also has it and we can reuse them again.

NCL didn't actually have the "furries" on it, they just happen to be cruising during that cruise we were on. They are a group that doesn't have anything to do with the cruise line. But, at least most of the ships have the Nickelodeon on them. She loves the sponge bob characters too.

I'm super excited to go on both the Dawn and to Bermuda. I have been on the sister ship (Star) and thought she was beautiful and I loved the layout. I just couldn't justify the expense for the Breakaway when we will probably be off the ship most of the time and not get to enjoy all the amenities the BA has to offer. I did sail the Getaway though and it was nice. So basically the same.

You should frame this one - what a beautiful picture :)

I know isn't it a great shot? You can tell I took that right when we got there...with no people around. :)

I agree. It's gorgeous!! She is too cute !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aww thanks so much.

loving your review abd yes you could have climbed those stairs to take some pics i did the last time i was there and they kept the shopping area small because the main attraction of HMC is the beach :)

I figured you could but didn't want to take the chance. Next time I promise. ;)

Oh my goodness! I was so busy reading everything else, I never noticed that:eek:

hehe, glad you found it. :)

Beautiful pictures, Mitsugirly!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you so much. I appreciate it. :)

I'm finally caught up! :p:D As usual, you are doing a great job and have posted some truly stunning pictures. I really loved the ones you took on the conch graveyard side in Grand Turk. Next time I'm there, I must go over and check it out. :)

Heather

Yes you must. It's a pretty neat area over there and "different". There's some great picture opportunities and I know had I stayed there longer, I would have came up with some good ones. Hopefully next time I'm there, we'll just stay on that side and I can walk down by myself and spend more time there. :)

Another great review, I will be going on my first cruise in November and your reviews have been helpful in my research. I seen you were sailing on the Pride and automatically thought Pride of America on NCL since most of your post are there lol!

Haha, yea a lot of people thought that a few months ago and was asking about the POA. Oops.

Finally, I caught up with this review! We are sailing on the Pride in March 2016. It will be our first on Carnival. We usually sail on Royal Caribbean. Both ships out of Baltimore. I was glad to see your review of BW. I am staying there in November & in March. It's only a short drive (less than 2 hrs) from our house but for a 10 day or more, it's cheaper to stay in a hotel than pay to park your car. I'm really enjoying your review. The more I read & see about this ship the more comfortable I am. Thanks for giving me this support.

Really enjoying your review. Your photos are gorgeous. It's making me more excited about sailing on the Pride next month.

If you don't mind, what kind of camera do you use for the underwater shots?

I too like to snorkel but in the past have only used disposable underwater cameras.

Thanks

Finally, I caught up with this review! We are sailing on the Pride in March 2016. It will be our first on Carnival. We usually sail on Royal Caribbean. Both ships out of Baltimore. I was glad to see your review of BW. I am staying there in November & in March. It's only a short drive (less than 2 hrs) from our house but for a 10 day or more, it's cheaper to stay in a hotel than pay to park your car. I'm really enjoying your review. The more I read & see about this ship the more comfortable I am. Thanks for giving me this support.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Which RC ship sails out of Baltimore? I may have to check in to it if I can get a decent price some time. What do you think of the RC ship that's there?

Your pics are just gorgeous and between yours and Jammin's reviews, I am ready to book the Pride for next spring break. Unfortunately, it is only going to the Bahamas and not this itinerary which is the one I really want!

Thanks so much for the compliment. Where does the Pride go next spring break?

Really enjoying your review. Your photos are gorgeous. It's making me more excited about sailing on the Pride next month.

If you don't mind, what kind of camera do you use for the underwater shots?

I too like to snorkel but in the past have only used disposable underwater cameras.

Thanks

Thanks for the compliments.

I have 2 point and shoot cameras I use while on vacation. Olympus Tough 62 and Olympus Tough 830. :)

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Which RC ship sails out of Baltimore? I may have to check in to it if I can get a decent price some time. What do you think of the RC ship that's there?

We sail on the Grandeur of the Sea. I've been on her twice & am going again 2 times before the cruise on the Pride. I really love her. My hubby saw this cruise advertised & said he'd like that so we are seeing 8 ports on a new ship. I'm ready to try a new ship so am reading everything I can find on her.

We sail on the Grandeur of the Sea. I've been on her twice & am going again 2 times before the cruise on the Pride. I really love her. My hubby saw this cruise advertised & said he'd like that so we are seeing 8 ports on a new ship. I'm ready to try a new ship so am reading everything I can find on her.

Oh ok. I should have figured since you had that ship listed in your signature line. Do you like the ship? I haven't sail RC since the 90's so it would be all new to me now. I'll have to check into it. :)

We had been looking at the Inner Harbor Best Western, but decided to go with your recommendation of the one at Elkridge! I just spoke to a wonderful Front Desk rep and I've got a good feeling about this!

Trust me, this was the hardest decision to make when booking any hotel I have booked before. I don't know what the problem was. I kept wanting the other 2 places because they looked beautiful and newly remodeled and I like the location. But I just didn't feel comfortable with them. This place I did and I'm so glad I booked with them. It will always be my go-to place when in Baltimore now. Super great staff.

After we pulled out of HMC, it was shower time and we got dressed up for dinner. My schedule was really changed up on this cruise. We were going to the dinner at 5:45pm (instead of our normal 10-11pm dinner at home). This was really odd, but of course we managed by just calling this dinner 1 and we'd have dinner 2 at our normal time. wink wink.

We arrived at Normandies and there was already a line formed like always. Sakari took stance at her favorite spot by the piano playing by itself up we started moving up and in we went.

P4090245%20copy-M.jpg

P4090246%20copy-M.jpg

Everyone ordered chicken noodle soup for starters and it was yummy.

P4090244%20copy-M.jpg

The hubby had an egg roll and said it was good.

For dinner I had the spinach lasagna and it was really good as well. I'm getting use to eating these yummy meals at the MDR. I'm really starting to do this more often on cruises now.

P4090247%20copy-M.jpg

I also felt the need for some shrimp... I really love shrimp so I ordered a plate of that too.

P4090248%20copy-M.jpg

I'm really now sure how they do this shrimp and make it all long like that. Is it fake? I know when you eat it, it's super full inside the breading and really good...for about the first 3 shrimps...then you can't stand it anymore. I'm not sure what it is about this stuff.

The kids ordered off the kids menu which was always more than just a menu. It had several activities and pages and pages for things to keep the kids quiet while waiting on the food to come.

P4120014%20copy-M.jpg

The only problem was, it was always a competition between Sakari and Brayden to get things done first. They had seek and finds in them and every time it was a race to finish first.

P4120015%20copy-M.jpg

Now Brayden is a BIG eater. So just to let you know, they will allow you (even kids) to order more than 1 meal. He always ordered the chicken nuggets meal and the pb&j meal.

Sakari on the other hand is a big eater in another way. She likes to eat about every 2 hours...even at home. She'll eat 1 thing, like a sandwich and she's good to go for 2 hours and then want food again.

P4120016%20copy-M.jpg

Sakari is definitely MY child and has weird taste and eating habits. She does NOT (and never has) liked hot dogs...like ever. Not in any shape or form (hot dogs, coney dogs, corn dogs). She also does not like french fries for the last few years (not my kid on this one, I love potatoes in any shape or form). She will eat fries maybe 1x a month if that.

P4090249%20copy-M.jpg

But give that kid ice cream and she'd live off of it. She had to have ice cream every day and we LOVED the soft service ice cream and cones out by the pool.

P4090250%20copy-M.jpg