Need help with timing for shows

bangzoom6877

We will be on the Breakaway in July, and today our 90-day window opened up. :)

There are options to reserve the shows Rock of Ages and Burn the Floor. Here is our issue...our kids go to the kids club and won't be joining us for any shows (RoA is also inappropriate for them...ages 8 and 10). 6 of the 7 nights, we eat dinner at 5:30 with the rest of the family (group of 11 people). We had to reserve this dinner time because then my baby nephew will stay on his usual eating schedule (he will be 18 months old when we cruise). The remaining evening, DH and I have a reservation at Le Bistro at 6:30 and our sons are eating dinner with the rest of the family in the MDR, and then my mom will bring them to the kids club after 7pm when it's open again.

The show times for RoA each night it's performed are 6:30 and 9:30. With our dinner times, we won't make it to the 6:30, and if we go to the 9:30, the kids club closes at 10:30 but I know the show will end much later than that. We do have the option of the late night at camp which would cost $10 an hour for the two of them. About how long is RoA? We saw it on Broadway 4 years ago but I don't remember how long it was. We are even wondering if we should make the extra effort to see it at all, because we saw it on Broadway and we don't want to be disappointed.

The show times for Burn the Floor each night it's performed are 7:00 and 9:30. With a 5:30 dinner in Manhattan Room, would we even be able to make it to the 7:00 show or is it too much of a risk? If we show up exactly at 7:00, will they have given our reserved seats away? How long is this show? If we go to the 9:30 show would we make it to the kids club at 10:30 to pick up the kids, or count on utilizing the late night for $10 an hour?

To begin with, I'm a little confused that there is even an option to reserve these shows. I thought that was a thing of the past on NCL. What would you do if you were me?

Edited by bangzoom6877

We had the same problem. We felt it was set up to make it impossible for families and we didn't end up getting to see the shows. Shows are one of my favorite reasons to cruise, I love the entertainment. The schedule, combined with difficulty getting into restaurants (that were actually pretty empty), has turned our family off from bigger ships. I know this isn't helpful, it just made me reflect on our breakaway cruise from last year...

Edited by Cynthia1271

You are traveling with a large family group so just ask one of them to pick them up and watch them for at the most 90 minutes I think

Hey if you can agree to eat at 5:30 for them, they can grab you kids for you just once

Also why can't your mom just get them? She's dropping them off right?

Or did I miss something ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are traveling with a large family group so just ask one of them to pick them up and watch them for at the most 90 minutes I think

Hey if you can agree to eat at 5:30 for them, they can grab you kids for you just once

Also why can't your mom just get them? She's dropping them off right?

Or did I miss something ?

By the time the show ends, my sister and brother-in-law will be in the cabin with the baby already, as he has to go to sleep at a somewhat reasonable hour, and my parents don't stay out very late. I'm not going to ask them to change their bedtime just so we can go to a show and they can pick up my kids. Yes, we are eating at 5:30 to help accommodate my nephew, but honestly we wouldn't be going to dinner any later than 6:30 with our own kids anyway (probably more like 6:00), so either way we would have the same timing issue. We really aren't sacrificing anything in order to eat dinner at 5:30.

from what i saw on CC rock of ages runs about 105 minutes and according to NCL site Burn the Floor is 45 minutes.

Ok if Burn the Floor is 45 min then the 9:30 show is definitely the way to go.

Is there an intermission for RoA like there is on Broadway? Is it the entire production or did they cut out parts to make it shorter? 105 minutes wouldn't be bad, the kids would only need to be in the kids club for an extra hour past 10:30 and it would cost us $10. Still debating about RoA to begin with though.

You might want to read mking8288 review on a recent Breakaway trip. On boarding there was a notice that there were no reservations for shows anymore and also that the show times had been changed.

I did read that review, and I was honestly surprised that the MyNCL site allows reservations for the shows. I did not expect that. But it was there, so I started this thread. I'm aware, especially with recent events, that NCL could change this at any time and our reservations might not matter, but I'd like to make the reservations just in case they accept them in July. If they don't honor them, I won't be surprised at all.

Is there an intermission for RoA like there is on Broadway? Is it the entire production or did they cut out parts to make it shorter? 105 minutes wouldn't be bad, the kids would only need to be in the kids club for an extra hour past 10:30 and it would cost us $10. Still debating about RoA to begin with though.

I don't remember there being a break. But i could be wrong

Hi, I am mobile but my quick suggestion is to confirm all your dinner plans now. Then book the shows with the expectations that times will be changed with Bermuda as you have 2 days docked. BTF is about 45 or 50 minutes and saw ROA twice & its closer to 110 minutes and no break. Keep in mind you need at least 15 minutes to walk along with about 800 others all rushing from the show to dinner reservations too, it's slow exiting with 2 main egress routes.

NCL has been full of surprises lately so take a gamble with open mind & wait 2 weeks as they start going to the BDA route next week for even fresher news.

sent from my Google Nexus 5/7 MD via Tapatalk

By the time the show ends, my sister and brother-in-law will be in the cabin with the baby already, as he has to go to sleep at a somewhat reasonable hour, and my parents don't stay out very late. I'm not going to ask them to change their bedtime just so we can go to a show and they can pick up my kids. Yes, we are eating at 5:30 to help accommodate my nephew, but honestly we wouldn't be going to dinner any later than 6:30 with our own kids anyway (probably more like 6:00), so either way we would have the same timing issue. We really aren't sacrificing anything in order to eat dinner at 5:30.

Ok I just figured someone in your family could help you with this dilemma

So plan b ..... Since you dont want to impose on family...just pay the babysitting fee

Ok I just figured someone in your family could help you with this dilemma

So plan b ..... Since you dont want to impose on family...just pay the babysitting fee

The irony of all this is 10 family members planning to eat at 5:30 to accommodate an 18 month old child who probably doesn't know he's supposed to be hungry at that time. You need to break loose one night and do your own thing on your own chosen time so you don't miss something that's obviously important to you.

The irony of all this is 10 family members planning to eat at 5:30 to accommodate an 18 month old child who probably doesn't know he's supposed to be hungry at that time. You need to break loose one night and do your own thing on your own chosen time so you don't miss something that's obviously important to you.

We are doing that. DH and I are having a date night at Le Bistro one night and my parents are taking the boys to dinner in the MDR. And it's not ironic that we are accommodating my nephew. Kids that age do need to stay in their routines, and I did the same when my son was the age and everyone in the family ate dinner early with us back then. There is no need to miss the 9:30 show. We don't eat dinner late, so going to a 6:30 or 7:00 show and then first going to dinner when it's over really doesn't work for us. The reason I started is thread, if you look at my original post, was to see which show time I should reserve, whether we would be able to make it to a 7:00 show with a 5:30 dinner in the MDR, or if we should go to the 9:30 show, plus if we should plan to utilize the late night at the kids club if we go to the 9:30 show. DH and I allow the kids to go to the late night a couple of times on a cruise, and I just wanted to know if we should plan on those nights being the nights we go to see the two main shows. That's all. No one kisses up to anyone in our family, we just make things work because being together on vacation is important to all of us.

FYI, in November we had the same issue with RoA. When you drop the kids off and tell them you need the "extra time", If you tell them you are attending the show they did not charge us.

This isn't really advertised anywhere that I have seen but I have seen it confirmed here on CC. YMMV, but it worked for us.

FYI, in November we had the same issue with RoA. When you drop the kids off and tell them you need the "extra time", If you tell them you are attending the show they did not charge us.

This isn't really advertised anywhere that I have seen but I have seen it confirmed here on CC. YMMV, but it worked for us.

Thank you! I will ask when we drop them off. We won't count on it being complimentary but will consider ourselves lucky if we are not charged.

Why are you quoting me like I am the op?

Why are you quoting me like I am the op?

As I reread my post, I can see why you thought that by using the word "you". I thought your post was so simple and self explanatory. The way I was reading the OP dilemma (or not), I was thinking she felt she was trapped (she later added she wasn't)

As I reread my post, I can see why you thought that by using the word "you". I thought your post was so simple and self explanatory. The way I was reading the OP dilemma (or not), I was thinking she felt she was trapped (she later added she wasn't)

I agree she did sound like this was a serious dilemma

Of course it's a total non issue after all

I agree she did sound like this was a serious dilemma

Of course it's a total non issue after all

If you reread my original post, you will both see that I asked people's opinions on whether they thought if it would be possible for us to make it to a 7:00 show, given that we were starting dinner at 5:30 in the MDR. I was trying to see if I should plan on going to the 7:00 showing of Burn the Floor or the 9:30 show. I wasn't making this into a crisis at all. I just asked for some simple advice as far as timing between dinner and making it to the show on time. If you feel this is a waste of time then you shouldn't waste your time replying to this thread in the first place.

If you reread my original post, you will both see that I asked people's opinions on whether they thought if it would be possible for us to make it to a 7:00 show, given that we were starting dinner at 5:30 in the MDR. I was trying to see if I should plan on going to the 7:00 showing of Burn the Floor or the 9:30 show. I wasn't making this into a crisis at all. I just asked for some simple advice as far as timing between dinner and making it to the show on time. If you feel this is a waste of time then you shouldn't waste your time replying to this thread in the first place.

Paragraph 3 was about all we needed.:eek: