Taking drinks on board

mondas42

Hello

We are cruising on Ventura in August this year. It's out first time with P&O after cruising RCI four times in the past and the ability to take drinks on board with us is a new and welcome option :-)

Just a few questions if I may, I know you can take wine to drink in your cabin but how much can you take? I was thinking of packing a couple of wine boxes in our luggage rather than heavy and breakable bottles, would this be ok?

Also I can only drink caffeine free coke as I get problems with too much caffeine. Would I be allowed to bring some cans on myself or do they serve it onboard?

Also on a slightly related question, do P&O have ice machines on board or do you need to get it from your steward?

Many thanks

Martin

Hello

We are cruising on Ventura in August this year. It's out first time with P&O after cruising RCI four times in the past and the ability to take drinks on board with us is a new and welcome option :-)

Just a few questions if I may, I know you can take wine to drink in your cabin but how much can you take? I was thinking of packing a couple of wine boxes in our luggage rather than heavy and breakable bottles, would this be ok?

Also I can only drink caffeine free coke as I get problems with too much caffeine. Would I be allowed to bring some cans on myself or do they serve it onboard?

Also on a slightly related question, do P&O have ice machines on board or do you need to get it from your steward?

Many thanks

Martin

Hello Martin,

I can't help re the wine question as I don't drink.

However, with regards the coke situation yes you can bring cans along to drink in your cabin as that is what I do.

I don't recall seeing ice machines on board,(but that doesn't mean there aren't any) however, if you ask your stateroom steward for a bucket of ice they will gladly supply it for you. You also tend to find you only have to ask for it the once & they will provide it everyday for you.

Hope you have a great cruise.

Joan

Hello

Many thanks

Martin

Hi you could take a couple of boxes of wine onboard to drink in your cabin...but I would wheel it onboard with you..small suitcase.....I would not put it through the hole in the wall.

I did that last cruise and spent the first day washing my clothing that were in with the box, when it got damaged, and wine leaked out.:(:(

Ice ask the room steward, and as has been said, once you have asked for it once it will be replenished daily.

As I understand you can take as much drinks as you want on board. You can also buy/replenish supplies at ports so you don't need to take as much as you might think when embarking on the first day

From what I can gather from P&O's website, you can basically take whatever you can carry aboard!

We'll be taking a box of wine, a bottle of vodka, a bottle of gin, a multipack of diet Coke and a multipack of tonic water onboard with us, and will be looking to replenish the spirits whilst ashore.

We're sailing on June 11th, so I'll let you know how we get on!

Hello

The answer to your drinks question is verging on, as much as you can physically fit in your cabin. Son drinks a lot of coke and last time we took 36 cans on with us :)

There are I think restrictions if they think you have an absolutely absurd amount more to manage drunken behaviour than booze costs. P&O drinks costs are much the same as an English pub, it doesn't seem to be a profit centre for P&O.

You can't take it into the restaurants though, without paying a charge. They may (guess !) make an exception if there is a medical reason and they do not have caffeine-free coke.

L8R: There are weight limitations if you are flying into your cruise. We did one of the first Genoa<->Venice fly cruises and whilst it was well organised, there isn't a great deal of opportunity to nip to a Genoese supermarket to get drinks.

Edited by themanwithahat

I am always slightly surprised at how much people take on board in Southampton.

As has been stated you can replenish at any ports you stop at. Which would possibly be cheaper than buying here and taking on at Southampton.

Plus to be on the safe side it really need to be taken on with you, not put through the hole in the wall.

Do they still sell multi buy mixers to use in your cabin? If so, any ideas on the price? Mixers were/are just under £1 for a 150ml can when bought separately but maybe the bulk deal is better value.

In our case, I suspect it's probably better value to take a limited amount of gin and maximise on the tonic, with a view to buying gin at Spanish prices in Cadiz, the first port.

Tony

You can buy more at ports but if you are going to Norway, as we are in May, it can be a bit pricey:-(. On med cruises it is cheaper to buy at ports etc. :-)

Sure is! :-)

We managed to find plenty of Lidl-type shops whilst ashore - perfect for topping up the rocket fuel ;-)