a few q's from a newbie

hi all,

we are doing the freedom cruise on 16th aug 2015,from port canaveral

apologies now as i have loads of questions...

we are arriving into miami 2 nights before the ship sails, can anyone recommend a shuttle to the port? i think its about a 4 hour drive! also does anyone know of any good hotels in Miami.

Are you staying in Port the night before? if so where are you staying? is there much to do in the area...

haven't yet planned any excursions..is there any must do things?

thanks for taking the time to read this x

Would you consider a one-way car rental and driving yourself? It is likely to be less expensive than a shuttle. There are several car rental agencies in the Port Canaveral area that will shuttle you to the port after you turn in the car.

I have to ask why you are going to Miami? Port Canaveral is only about an hour from Orlando. There are tons of things to do in Orlando including Disney World, Universal Studios, etc. .

As for Port Canaveral, Cocoa Beach is a nice beach town. It is near the Kennedy Space Center which you could tour. You could hang out at the beach. You could drive to Orlando and stay there. If you are in Port Canaveral on Sat. night, there are a few restaurants you can go to and watch the ships sailaway down the channel.

If you are going to stay in Miami, I would agree with Bob and rent a car. There is no drop off fee in Florida so you could go to Port Canaveral at your leisure and enjoy Florida.

Edited by papaflamingo

I am guessing the OP is a stressed young lady without a lot of time looking at maps. As Papaflamingo says, Port Canaveral is way way north of Miami. Don't get me wrong Miami is way more fun (especially south beach) than Orlando or Port Canaveral. That said, I can only imagine the cost of a limo or car service from SoBe to Port Canaveral. The obvious, answer is to fly to Orlando, and rent a car or take the transfer from there to port Canaveral. While Cocoa Beach is not exactly SoBe it is home to Ron Jon and lots of funky beach spots, and the Kennedy Space Center is just down the road. So as PF says, fly into Orlando, visit the mouse or U Studios and then meander the hour to the coast to board the ship,....

if you want to sail from Miami, book a cruise from there. Really the good ships are in Fort Lauderdale, and Port Canaveral. Visited Miami a few months ago and outside of SoBe, didn't see why anyone would go there.

Enjoy

jc

Edited by xpcdoojk

Since I am assuming you are flying from the UK. It is a drive from Miami to Port Canaveral. Definitely rent a car or fly into Orlando if that is possible. I would think hiring a limo or some other type of shuttle will be very expensive. I believe Orlando is about 1 hour from the port.

since you seem to be from UK I assume you are used to driving on the wrong (ie left ) side of the road

renting a car might not be your first choice if you are not comfortable with that...there are lots of shuttle services in Florida...I would google that plus do a search on cruise critic for recommendations

port canaveral is about an hour an a half from disneyworld ...there are shuttle services from there to the port too..so you could squeeze in a day at disneyworld if that is your cup of tea

enjoy

Thank you everyone

We are fully aware of how far PC is from Miami, I'm not stressed but just interested in what everyone thought were the best options.

The last time we cruised we were in Orlando so it was a quick transfer.

Yes we are flying from the uk

The flights to Miami were much cheaper than to Orlando.

We have visited Orlando 7 times so have no interest in doing those attractions anymore

We are driving to cocoa beach and staying there the night before our cruise, hotel is all booked. 😃

Thank you everyone

We are fully aware of how far PC is from Miami, I'm not stressed but just interested in what everyone thought were the best options.

The last time we cruised we were in Orlando so it was a quick transfer.

Yes we are flying from the uk

The flights to Miami were much cheaper than to Orlando.

We have visited Orlando 7 times so have no interest in doing those attractions anymore

We are driving to cocoa beach and staying there the night before our cruise, hotel is all booked. 😃

I'm a big fan of South Beach. You can check out the Florida forum, but Collins Ave has a ton of hotels on the beach. It's a fun area, especially if you've never been to Miami.

As someone else said, if you're ok driving, renting a car from Miami to Orlando is probably the cheapest option but, again, I would check out the Florida forum to see if people have recommendations for shuttles, etc.

Have fun! 😀