3 days in Oahu pre-cruise

dancecj

I'd love some pointers and tips on any great restaurants you visited. My son just finished his Infantry officer course (IBOLC) and is leaving next week as he is going to be stationed in Oahu for the next few years!! Needless to say, my plane tickets are already booked for October. Since he doesn't know if he is renting a house or condo, I've booked our hotels and rental cars. He will work during the week days but we have nights and weekends with him. Doing 7 nights in Oahu and 3 in Maui. Any must see's that we can't miss on this visit?

Aloha :D

Good god have you lucked out!

Since you son is an active military officer, ask him to check about staying at the "Hale Koa" in Waikiki. It is a really nice hotel right on the beach run by the Army MWR . Google "MWR Waikiki". Category 1 priority is "Armed Forces and their Families". I don't know if everyone needs a military ID to stay there but if he can swing it you'll love it there. It is right next to the Hilton Hawaiian Village complex on the west end of Waikiki. Hawaii is a big military R&R location and the rates are based on his "O" level (O-6 pays more than an O-2).

On the military ID, I don't know if your son is married, but ask him to check if his mother can become his dependent. The military also has visitor cottages on some of its facilities around Oahu and if you can stay there, it's outside of the Waikiki. Most military facilities can be accessed with visitor passes unless there is a high alert. Since admirals and generals visit Hawaii often, they have VIP facilities on the bases. If there are VIP facilities available on the base, you would love it.

I'll be back later regarding some restaurants and other stuff.

Aloha :D

Edited by rakuroda

You can also book hotel on Priceline name your own price - we got the Aston Waikiki at a super great rate for our 2 nights pre-cruise in May (it is the only 3.5 star listed, so I pretty much knew that's what I was getting). You'd want to go to a site like bidding for travel first to see likely hotels in the 4 or 3.5 star range on Waikiki and make sure you'd be happy with any of them!

4-star Waikiki hotels listed:

Marriott Waikiki Beach

Moana Surfrider, a Westin Resort & Spa

Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach

Outrigger Reef on the Beach

Sheraton Waikiki Hotel

Hi

Just curious, do you save much doing it that way?

How would you find out which 5 star hotels?

silverdo, did you mean you booked the cruise through costco?

yes we book the cruise thur costco....also my husband get military discount .. If you are a veteran u can too.......call them.

They we very helpful.....

My husband is a veteran and the TA we used said NCL does not discount for Veterans - was the discount from NCL or Costco?

thx

I think Costco but we had to prove it to NCL .. we had copy of his D214 an fax it to NCL...but Costco booked it that way.......it was cheaper.. but sometime they have other specials that is a better deal . also they book hotels...and rental cars.... too

My husband is a veteran and the TA we used said NCL does not discount for Veterans - was the discount from NCL or Costco?

thx

Time for a new TA as they didn't do their job and had incorrect information. Or worse, intentionally didn't extend a discount you were entitled to just to up their commission. The NCL website very clearly states that the military rate/discount is available to "veterans with proof of military service"

http://www.ncl.com/promo/military

~Katy

To the poster that said NCL doesn't do military discounts for Hawaii.

WRONG

We sailed NCL for Hawaii and I am ex military and received a very nice discount. I sure don't know if they do it for every sailing or just select ones, but for that, just call NCL and ask.

We are living proof that they do to give military discounts.

Cheers

Len

We will be there early September. Still wondering if we should do any tours here? We can just taxi over to Pearl Harbor and see right???

This from the National Park Service website:

"How do I get tickets to visit the USS Arizona Memorial?

-Advance Online Tickets: Reserve tickets up to two (2) months in advance. You can also reserve next-day online tickets starting at 7 a.m. the day prior to your visit for a 24 hour period. These tickets are available for groups and individuals online at http://www.recreation.gov or by calling 1-877-444-6777. Reservations book up quickly (especially during the busy season), so plan ahead! Reserved tickets must be picked up one hour prior to your USS Arizona Memorial tour. Unclaimed tickets will be reissued to the general public.

-Visitor Center Walk-In Tickets: 1,300 walk-in tickets are available daily at the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center, which opens at 7:00 a.m. Tickets are free and available on a first come, first serve basis. Theses tickets are only available to visitors physically present at the time. All members of your party must be present to receive a walk-in ticket. If you would like walk-in tickets, please arrive early! If you arrive early enough to secure your own tickets, you may have a few hours to wait before your tour. The tour is 75-minutes long consisting of a 25-minute documentary film and a boat trip out to the Memorial.

Please note: During the busy summer months, the limited number of program tickets for the USS Arizona Memorial program are distributed quite quickly!

If you arrive early enough to secure your own tickets, you may have a few hours to wait before your tour. Depending on your wait time, we recommend you start your experience with the narrated tour, explore the exhibit galleries, or even visit other Pearl Harbor Historic Sites before your program begins.

There is no charge for admission to World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument. While the USS Arizona Memorial tickets themselves do not have a cost, the other Pearl Harbor Historic Sites are non-profit entities that charge fees for admission."

To the poster that said NCL doesn't do military discounts for Hawaii.

WRONG

We sailed NCL for Hawaii and I am ex military and received a very nice discount. I sure don't know if they do it for every sailing or just select ones, but for that, just call NCL and ask.

We are living proof that they do to give military discounts.

Cheers

Len

Thanks Len - I think I have stated that incorrectly - my TA told me that on the particular sailing that I have booked there is no military discount. I have contacted NCL directly and confirmed that the discount is NOT offered on ALL cruises only select sailings. But good information to have when looking at future sailings.

We did however capture a good discounted rate by being AARP members! That card has started saving us money all over the place!

Edited by cinbol