CruiseXLife Takes Liberty- Maiden San Juan to Southern Caribbean Photo Review

cruisexlife

My biggest questions are on things to do at the ports! I am also trying to decide if the Cheers package is worth it on such a port intensive cruise. Any ideas on either of those?

Well, since the ports are so abundant, can you please tell me which port you are struggling with, or need an idea for? I'll be happy to go in depth, there's just so much to do in each stop! :D

As for Cheers, I've never purchased it ever, but I did hear someone complaining about not getting it on the last day. You should cinsider the fact that there is still a sea day, as well as 7 nights of the trip, so I wouldn't want a $100 bar tab at the end :eek: It's a common assumption made with this cruise. So after I heard the person say that, I would consider how much you're going to drink, because most of it is at night. Whatever floats your boat! (see what I did there?) :D

Edited by cruisexlife

Nooo, don't stop reviewing! I just started reading this afternoon! Going in September. I love the pointed and panoramic pictures. Plus your review is hitting all the points I'd want to know. I'm going in September. I can't wait to go on the Liberty. Although the Valor, which was originally doing this trip, is one of my favorite ships. Btw, when doing research I did find a ferry to St Croix. I think there's a link for the ferries on http://www.visitusvi.com

Thanks for all of the compliments! I'm glad I can be of help! ;)

I'm not stopping, just pausing for questions! I'll post more tonight from my day in Barbados. Thanks for following along! :)

Thanks so much for the link, it will totally come in handy on my next cruise to St.Thomas. I wonder if it will accommodate the ships that come in at 11, like the Carnival ships from Florida. And what kinds of tours I can do while over there. All valuable stuff to research! Thanks again, I'll get some more pics tonight!!!!

I woke up to my wake-up call set at 8AM. Since we had to wake up early every other day of the cruise, we figured that we would give ourselves the extra hour to get ready. Shortly after waking up, we received our breakfast that we ordered the day before. Instead of order just fruit and coffee today, we decided to make up for lost time by eating in the room. Together, we had a bowl of Cheerios with strawberries, a muffin, a banana, some buttered toast, coffee, and milk. After eating, I headed onto the secret deck.

DSCF4658_zpsyeglkgoj.jpg

DSCF4659_zpsyovmfoiy.jpg

DSCF4660_zpswtkxaiwy.jpg

Rather industrial docking space, but in the distance, you could see the beautiful Carlisle Bay, where I would be in just an hour's time.

DSCF4662_zpspdlgy1xn.jpg

The Celebrity Equinox, who was with us in St.Thomas, off in the distance, heading into port.

DSCF4661_zpsno191tzj.jpg

Here she is, a half hour early. She was scheduled to arrive at 9AM, but came around 8:30AM.

DSCF4663_zpsj58mevtf.jpg

We got off the ship around 8:45 after getting ready. Ship gangway with the Barbados photo op.

DSCF4664_zpskrfwaolv.jpg

Ship Photos

DSCF4665_zpsqve0detw.jpg

DSCF4666_zpseywlwjum.jpg

Celebrity Equinox and Carnival Liberty docked in Barbados.

DSCF4667_zpssjlsvbjy.jpg

She's a beauty!

DSCF4668_zpstquu4nrh.jpg

Welcome to the beautiful Barbados! This is a new island for me, and I can't wait to share my experiences with you all!

DSCF4669_zps1lflk0fp.jpg

Enjoying your review! Looking forward to my turn on the Liberty in July! I have a question for you - was tea time listed on the Fun Times? We enjoyed tea time on our last cruise on Elation and I hope to attend tea time again. Thanks for your work in a great review!!

Enjoying your review! Looking forward to my turn on the Liberty in July! I have a question for you - was tea time listed on the Fun Times? We enjoyed tea time on our last cruise on Elation and I hope to attend tea time again. Thanks for your work in a great review!!

I see you're new to Cruise Critic, welcome to the boards! :D

Tea Time was listed in the FunTimes, and hey announced it in the morning. Even on our unexpected sea day, they announced it, and it was in the revised FunTimes.

You'll have a great cruise :D

I am excited to read about your adventures in Barbados. This a new destination for us too. We are also new to Carnival.

Welcome to Carnival, and I see that you're new to CC as well, so welcome to the boards!

I will write more later on tonight. I'm glad that you're enjoying my review! Feel free to ask any questions along he way!

What were the production shows like?

They were like any other production show on any other ship, lots of singing and dancing, no storyline or acting, just singing and dancing. They were nice to watch and I enjoyed them. While I expected to see Latin Nights (my favorite Carnival show) on Liberty, I was glad to learn that the shows are different across the ships. They are a nice addition to the night, and I would suggest going to at least one while onboard! :p

Just found your review and got all caught up. Thanks for sharing! We will be in this cruise in 12 days! Can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kim,

Thanks for reading! I should have at least gotten to Sint Maarten by next Sunday, so most of the review should be covered. If I start running thin, feel free to ask questions!

After taking the standard "I'm in Barbados so here is the sign and my ship" picture, we headed into the building. When you walk in, you begin going to your left through the shops, follow them out, and then you're outside. Very similar to Nassau. To your right is where people will be boarding, where the immigration is. Here is the first line of shops.

DSCF4670_zpsn9u1hq4j.jpg

We went into a few of the stores and picked up some more free things. One was a souvenir pin, which I collect, and another was a postcard, which I mailed from the post office at the end of the shops. There was a store called Calypso Rum Cakes, and their rum cakes were amazing. They are just as good, if not better, than Tortuga Rum Cakes. I should've bought one after I sampled one (yes, free samples), but I said that I would pick it up on the way back, since I wanted to get to the beach early. But I forgot. I did remember a picture of the sign though.

DSCF4671_zps4ejfnngv.jpg

Before we left the building, we stopped at the information booth and got a map and some information. I asked around the Barbados board for good beaches, and I got this website. I found it very helpful. http://www.beachesofbarbados.com/.

We had decided on Sandy Beach, but after talking to the lady, she said that since it a local beach, there was no local taxes to the area, and that we would be overcharged like crazy. And she said that the clubs along Carlisle Bay were good choices. So, we were directed outside to the organized taxi loop. We thanked her and headed outside. Here is the wage board for anyone who is planning a DIY day here.

DSCF4672_zpsq84ucpq6.jpg

We asked for Carlisle and hopped on a bus without waiting any time. We had some nice views of the city of Bridgetown on the way there!

Some city shopping

DSCF4673_zps5cgyjdeq.jpg

DSCF4674_zpssx53n2lw.jpg

A beautiful church and a local making his way to work. Life is good in Bridgetown!

DSCF4675_zps9ie4qvy5.jpg

The ride was about 10 minutes. We arrived in an old parking lot to what looked like a beach-house. You can infer what I was thinking right? :rolleyes: But I soon realized that we were at the Copacabana Beach Club! I got off the bus and the driver asked for 10 dollars. It's been a long time since I was in the first grade, but I'm almost positive that 4 plus 4 equals 8. We asked for Carlisle. I asked someone on the bus, and they said that they were confused too. Not worth fighting it, I'm on vacation lol. Don't know how some of the people on here fight every battle they can on vacation, I wait months to get away to the sun to let an additional $2 bother me?! Haha, no way.

DSCF4676_zpsyg1rlvsj.jpg

We were greeted with a nice "Welcome to Copacabana Beach Club, can we help you with anything"? Mom and I both needed a potty break, so after we returned from the bathroom, she explained that they had free wifi and their lunch menu. I asked about the chairs. Two chairs and an umbrella for $15 total. Not bad in my opinion. She directed us to a man down by the beach to buy our chairs. I can already tell that the beach is going to be beautiful!

DSCF4677_zpsnbtskvvu.jpg

After buying our chairs, we made our way to two chairs in the front row (as in closest to the beach). There weren't many people here yet, it was about 10:00AM. On our way to our chairs we saw this little fellow!

DSCF4678_zpstenawpbr.jpg

Our chairs.

DSCF4679_zpspdqsqbiu.jpg

Copacabana is on the right, and other beach houses and beach clubs are towards the left.

DSCF4681_zps3aygsfjs.jpg

They were like any other production show on any other ship, lots of singing and dancing, no storyline or acting, just singing and dancing. They were nice to watch and I enjoyed them. While I expected to see Latin Nights (my favorite Carnival show) on Liberty, I was glad to learn that the shows are different across the ships. They are a nice addition to the night, and I would suggest going to at least one while onboard! :p

What were the themes? I'm hoping for the 80's show we saw once before. It was awesome!

After putting our umbrella down (hey, it was a long winter and we needed the sun), putting our sunscreen on, and settling in, we finally took in the views. It was April Fool's Day, but there is no joke behind this beauty!

DSCF4680_zps3qgpw16c.jpg

The chairs at Copacabana today.

DSCF4684_zpspisb6yfj.jpg

I think it was a snorkel tour, but some sort of tour boat off of the beach, and some happy swimmers.

DSCF4685_zps4m8dwfr6.jpg

I had seen this water trampoline on many youtube videos. There was also a rope to swing on and a giant plank to jump off of. I wasn't too interested, and even if I was, I got too comfortable in my lounge chair to care. :D

DSCF4682_zpsskrv7jao.jpg

You may not see it well here, but the sand does in fact have a pink tint to it. It is very pretty, I have more pictures coming later.

DSCF4686_zpsg0svaqwm.jpg

Next: More Barbados Beach Fun!

What were the themes? I'm hoping for the 80's show we saw once before. It was awesome!

They had one dedicated to Gene Wilder, the Legends show, an international show, can't remember many more. I think they had an 80's show, but don't hold me to it. If you saw it on Splendor (the last cruise in your signature), there is a chance that Liberty may not have it, as it is 2.0. But all of the entertainment Is great and I'm sure you'll find something nice. :o

Great review, taking this trip again in 6 weeks. Since you're on the Barbados page portion of the review, I wanted to mention that you can get your passport stamped in the building at the end of the pier. It is on the right in some offices and the lady was really nice who gave us the stamps. I really only have my passport for making things easier, so other than a couple mexico stamps, I have a few from the islands. Well worth the 3 minutes to seek it out.

We had planned on going to Magen's. We found a taxi, and she was charging $8 per person, per way, plus and $8 per person rental fee, then chairs?! We didn't have that kind of cash on us. Mom wanted to make a quick run to the room to grab some more cash, but halfway back to the ship, I realized that this was turning into a $100 day, and we didn't need to go to Magen's Bay.

Great Review

We are doing this cruise in September and wanted to do Magen's I can see $16 pp round trip but what is this other $8pp rental fee?

Thanks

Fair Winds and Following Seas