CruiseXLife Takes Liberty- Maiden San Juan to Southern Caribbean Photo Review

cruisexlife

Really enjoying your review!! The Liberty is one of my favorite ships. :)

Thanks so much, means a lot coming from on of the CC review legends! :D

Liberty is now my favorite ship. Really liked the design, as well as the crew on this particular cruise. She was so much better than expected!

Have you tried the Southern route yet?

Doing this cruise in Nov. Looking for ideas on what other cruisers have done.

Well you'll surely get answers from my review, feel free to ask any questions you may have, I'll be happy to answer them! :D

I'm really enjoying your review and your picture of the St. Thomas harbor/bay from the ship and looking out over the yachts toward the mountains is one of the best I've seen - love it! I can never get tired of the views of St. Thomas from the ship. We were on Liberty last year (western Caribbean) and on the southern itinerary (same) out of San Juan in May 2013 and it is, by far, our favorite itinerary. Trying to do some "arm twisting" to DH to do it again. We will, I just don't know when. I'll be following along and looking forward to the rest. You get great pictures too.

Looking forward to the rest of your review!

We were just on the Glory last week and went to San Juan, St. Thomas, Grand Turk and HMC. We loved all of the islands, but San Juan was probably my favorite!

Been to HMC twice and that is my Fav by far

I'm really enjoying your review and your picture of the St. Thomas harbor/bay from the ship and looking out over the yachts toward the mountains is one of the best I've seen - love it! I can never get tired of the views of St. Thomas from the ship. We were on Liberty last year (western Caribbean) and on the southern itinerary (same) out of San Juan in May 2013 and it is, by far, our favorite itinerary. Trying to do some "arm twisting" to DH to do it again. We will, I just don't know when. I'll be following along and looking forward to the rest. You get great pictures too.

Thank you so much for the kind words, they mean a lot! But yes, this is a great itinerary, and I plan on doing it again sometime soon. Ship won't matter to me, but Liberty was most certainly my favorite ship thus far. So beautiful!

Will post more tonight! :D

We began our walk down Main Street after stopping at Cariloha for another initial and the free necklaces I always get. Mom got her Cariloha spice as well. Before we started onto Main Street, we passed the post office. I wish I brought my postcard for my friend in Norway, but I forgot. Oh well. I mailed it to weeks after I returned stateside, so he should get it soon.

DSCF4549_zpspm3bgemv.jpg

Beautiful Cliffside view!

DSCF4550_zpsgx1zgxr6.jpg

Here come the stores!

DSCF4551_zpsdmsu3xnz.jpg

DSCF4552_zpsxyjjpnwp.jpg

There is every Caribbean store imaginable on this stretch. I'm not going to bother listing them but if you want to know on a specific one, I'll be happy to go back and find the shopping map I saved for this reason :')

There was a cute little alley that I felt was deserving of a picture

DSCF4554_zpskn8ff4ko.jpg

Mom was doing all of the shopping. Bargaining with salesmen she knew she wasn't going to buy from, pointing out things she knew she didn't want, and going into stores she knew she didn't want anything in. But to be completely honest, that's the best part about Caribbean shopping, it's such a fun experience, no matter what or how much you buy! We really were havinga great time! If you cruise twice or more a year, or spend most of your port time shopping, I highly recommend buying the FunFinds Shopping Book. It's $20, and mom got more than that in free stuff from coupons, let alone savings from the coupons, and this was only in Saint Thomas. It's a great investment and goes further than you think.

We found a store called Caribana, a great store for souvenirs. It stood out enough to get a picture of it. I bought some postcards and a shirt and mom just browsed. It had some great prices, like 4 postcards for a dollar, so stop there if you pass it.

DSCF4555_zpsyf0cmexl.jpg

Wife and I are currently sitting on our hotel balcony in barbados waiting for the Liberty to arrive on the 6th may when we board. Thank you and others for their reviews, they have been so helpful

Wife and I are currently sitting on our hotel balcony in barbados waiting for the Liberty to arrive on the 6th may when we board. Thank you and others for their reviews, they have been so helpful

Wow. When I do this cruise again, I want to board in Barbados. I loved it there, and I would like to live like the locals for a few days, and then leave on a beautiful cruise.

You're in for a great time! :D

We continued on Main Street for a little bit longer before we decided to turn around and explore the shops on the other end of the street and end up beach where we started, the Post Office. One of the jewelry stores was handing out free rum punch to everyone who went inside, so I had a nice treat while mom bargained some more! :D

DSCF4556_zpswxvqjui6.jpg

We walked past the stores. Nothing really caught us after that. We had many free gifts from Mom's FunFinds book, as well as our initials on the scavenger hunt. Our last stop was a place that was recommended by Bruce, Get Charmed. The owner is a lady from England who took over the business when the owner retired (who still frequents the store often). They are little charm necklaces, coming in many designs and shapes and sizes, for $15 each, with the option of a $10 chain. While mom browsed the tiny shop, this was my first cultural connection of the trip, which is the reason I travel. The lady was from Liverpool, England, and moved to St.John 13 years ago, and St.Thomas 7 years ago. She told me about life in England, life in the Virgin Islands, and how they are similar and different. She said it's not all that it's cracked up to be living in "paradise". The water isn't always clean for showers, there aren't many nice neighborhoods, and their representation in US congress is existent, but not great. However, they are taxed very high. Now I know why they always ask for what ship I'm on in the stores, to make sure I'm not a local. But, all of the tax stays within the Virgin Islands, which I think is very efficient. It all stays right there for the government to use between the 3 islands. I found this to be very interesting. Mom bought a charm and we left after talking with her for 30 minutes. I suggest that everyone stops there if you plan on spending a day in Charlotte Amalie, the charms are handmade and very cool, my mom actually just wore her charm today!

DSCF4557_zpsada6fjlx.jpg

We walked back in the direction of Diamonds International and found a bus back to the ship in no time. I took this of a little square while we were driving down Main Street to turn around, it's a one way street!

DSCF4558_zpsblur5zce.jpg

Another shot.

DSCF4559_zpscn81nxb3.jpg

It was about 11:30, and we had been there since about 8:15, so we spent a lot of time there for just shopping. In addition to many free gifts, we got souvenirs, clothes, and a good time! :D

I took these going back to the ship.

DSCF4560_zps7avv13gb.jpg

Adventure and Equinox

DSCF4561_zpsznm2lxkk.jpg

DSCF4562_zps6zhnh0li.jpg

My home for the next week, Lady Liberty!

DSCF4563_zps2fln5e4r.jpg

We were back to the ship in about 15 minutes from boarding the bus. We paid our 4 dollars (4 dollars each way per person for downtown on the organized taxis) and got off the bus.

Next: My First Time Up To Paradise Point! :p

Enjoying your review and pictures. Thank you for taking the time to compile everything - I know it's quite a bit of work! We are sailing the Liberty out of San Juan in December so I'm soaking up as much info as possible :-) looking forward to your next installment as I'd like to visit Paradise Point. Thanks again!

Enjoying your review and pictures. Thank you for taking the time to compile everything - I know it's quite a bit of work! We are sailing the Liberty out of San Juan in December so I'm soaking up as much info as possible :-) looking forward to your next installment as I'd like to visit Paradise Point. Thanks again!

Anytime, I want to apologize to you and everyone, this past week has super busy and I haven't had much time. But after tomorrow night I should be back to a nightly basis and be more active. But I'm glad you're enjoying it! You're going to enjoy this cruise so much!

Loving the review so far- we are cruising the Liberty on this itinerary in Sept. I've been anxiously awaiting the first Liberty review- thanks for all of the pictures! Can't wait to read the rest!

Loving the review so far- we are cruising the Liberty on this itinerary in Sept. I've been anxiously awaiting the first Liberty review- thanks for all of the pictures! Can't wait to read the rest!

You're really going to have a great time. And I'll try to post more tonight, this week has been the busiest in a while. But you're welcome for writing it, really the pleasure is all mine! Feel free to ask any questions throughout!

DSCF4566_zpsvvjmt7mf.jpg

I had been very excited to go to Paradise Point for the longest time, but if you read my last review, you know that I was not too lucky on timing. But we had scheduled it into our day on this cruise.

After waiting about 5 minutes for our tickets, we got to the counter, and saw the price. $21 per person..... Wow. I almost opted not to go, and I was beyond excited. Why is it so expensive?!?! I immediately put my phone on airplane mode and made sure my camera was off, because I needed all of my remaining battery while I was up there, because there is no way I'm going back anytime soon :D

We waited about 5 minutes after getting to the waiting area to get on a cable car. Luckily, we got one to ourselves.

DSCF4567_zpswllzu89l.jpg

We began our climb up to the top of the hill. The ride was about 10 minutes total, and totally breathtaking. Here are the shots I got on the way up.

DSCF4568_zpsx4y95ebr.jpg

DSCF4570_zps82wfafal.jpg

DSCF4569_zps9jxtp8lv.jpg

The US Virgin Islands are very beautiful!!!

I stepped off of the car and began my way to the main viewing area. Alas, the grand view of Paradise Point!

DSCF4572_zpss9nzbhfa.jpg

Wow. I took only a few pictures between my camera and phone, and I am a photography geek. So it goes to show you how breathtaking the view actually was. It was one of the coolest views I've ever experienced while on a cruise.

Lady Liberty sitting pretty in the dock in the St.Thomas Havensight Cruise Center.

DSCF4573_zps8zjynacx.jpg

DSCF4576_zpsjk8eyjsr.jpg

At the top of the mountain, there is more than just the viewing area. There is a big bar, and many shops, as well as a bunch of parrots. The parrots screeched so loud, I wanted to leave. That was the only thing ruining the view, was the screeching parrot in the background. It only goes to show you how an animal in captivity acts when they shouldn't be in captivity.

However, here was a beautiful little iguana I saw.

DSCF4575_zpsarouki1g.jpg

I pulled out my phone (on 17% which, if any of you know me, already means that the phone has broken down. and on vacation?!? I was stressing hard about this. Heck I get nervous when it's at 60% :D) and it was 1:10. Better get going. One last view before we make out way down.

DSCF4574_zpsopqzppyh.jpg

We got back on a car, but this time with about 6 other people. They were all cruising on the Celebrity Equinox, and it was nice talking to them about their cruise experience. They were on a 10 night cruise and really seemed to be enjoying it. This was their first port. We talked all the way down, and I was so distracted that I forgot to take pictures. Darn.

Back to the ship for some lunch (and to charge my phone, now on 12%)!!

We were back onboard by 1:30. We dropped off our things in the room and ran up to get a Guy's Burger. This was the first one of the cruise and was rather overdue. Tasted very good. After getting back to our room, we got into beach attire, and headed off again by 2:15.

DSCF4577_zpsiauzbtiu.jpg

We had planned on going to Magen's. We found a taxi, and she was charging $8 per person, per way, plus and $8 per person rental fee, then chairs?! We didn't have that kind of cash on us. Mom wanted to make a quick run to the room to grab some more cash, but halfway back to the ship, I realized that this was turning into a $100 day, and we didn't need to go to Magen's Bay. So we agreed to make that our plan for the entire day on our next cruise that calls at Saint Thomas. I did promise a friend that I would snap some pics of the aft of the Adventure of the Seas, as he is cruising in an aft balcony on her next month. We decided to make this endeavor now while we were off the ship.

DSCF4578_zps88sz44hm.jpg

Bow of Adventure

DSCF4579_zpskw80qoqa.jpg

Bow of Equinox

DSCF4581_zps4bitraab.jpg

Aft of Adventure

DSCF4582_zpsta8nkcqb.jpg

I saw this sign down by where the Celebrity Equinox was docked, and I want to know if anyone knows of any private tour operators who do trips for the cruisers to Saint Croix. I've always wanted to go to Saint Croix and it is not offered on many cruises on Carnival, and across the board really, unless you go 10+ days, and I can't take off that much time. So if anyone has any info of a tour operator or knows a ferry that goes down there, please let me know!

DSCF4580_zpsnzgswq2t.jpg

It was now about 2:45, and despite our cancelled plans to Magen's Bay, we stilled wanted some R&R time. we got back on the ship, and spent the next 2 hours in deck chairs soaking up sun. I left my camera in the cabin, which I regretted later, as turtles would come up next to the ship and float around, and I wish I got a picture of them. Also, they had to shuffle (my) yacht around (without my permission, and without me on it), which was cool to watch.

We got some nice tan in that time. We planted ourselves in deck chairs down at the Aft pool, but found the Deck 10 aft area deserted, and with chairs that we could move to follow the sun, so we moved. I dozed off for a little. It's tough living this life what can I say (;

At around 4:45, the boat began to fill up again, and people began to line the rails, and we went back to our secret deck to watch us depart.

Next: Sailaway from Saint Thomas!

Well, we are rushing to get outside for sailaway. We were scheduled to leave at 5. We were outside on our (Deck 10, as explained before) secret deck, and nothing. 5:15, nothing. 5:30, nothing.

DSCF4588_zpstjcovby1.jpg

I shortly realized that we were having a delayed sailaway, and while everyone else continued to pull out their phones to check the time, I took this time to take some last-minute pictures of Saint Thomas.

Havensight Terminal

DSCF4583_zpsdweotydk.jpg

Looking at the mountains, towards the East

DSCF4584_zpsxu04spp3.jpg

The Charlotte Amalie Harbor

DSCF4585_zpspe2hrhis.jpg

While I enjoyed my taxi ride to and from the ship, I think I want to try walking to Charlotte Amalie and taking in the sights on a future visit. God I love it here!! :D

DSCF4586_zps5gvnyqjr.jpg

It was now 5:30 and when I looked back, I saw the Celebrity Equinox pulling out of the harbor. She's a beauty. Adventure is still behind us.

DSCF4587_zpsjik01e0k.jpg

It was 5:40, and I decided that no matter when we left, I had to be on time for dinner. I went back to the cabin, showered, and got ready for dinner. At 5:45, Felipe, our cruise director, made an announcement that there was a medical emergency onboard the Equinox that was holding both ships in. I assume the Adventure started moving around this time because I could not find it. How do you lose a cruise ship!? Around 5:55, I felt moving. Mom wanted to stop by Bruce's desk to tell him about some deal she heard today, and I wanted to take some more departure photos. We agreed to meet at our table at 6:00.

Here is the Equinox doing some strange maneuver. Adventure left after Equinox, why can't I find her???

DSCF4591_zpscms7h55t.jpg

We had arranged to meet at 6:00 at our table in the dining room. We had the Golden Olympian Dining Room, otherwise known as the aft dining room. Here is the "it's the first night at dinner" rush.

DSCF4592_zpscfc9ucye.jpg

When the doors opened, I went to find the table myself, as Mom was running a little late and I didn't want to stand in a line.

DSCF4598_zpsxrc5mesl.jpg

I found it. It was an 8-top rectangular table in the very back of the ship, deck 3. Nope. I knew the second I saw it that Mom wasn't going to do it. She does not like eating with strangers and always changes us to a 2-top. I went back to the Maitre D and got into the line, that had died down a lot, now that most were seated. At that moment, Mom walked it, and all I had to do was give her a look for ever to know what went on. Within 5 minutes from me getting in line, we were seated at a 2-top, right next to the original table. It looked pretty dull anyway, and I really enjoy the one-on-one with my Mom. Here is the menu from night 1!

DSCF4599_zpsilx4kzom.jpg

Next: The Most Beautiful Sunset I've Ever Seen

Like mentioned before, I was seated near the aft window of the dining room. Here is a picture I took of just the wake and the island.

DSCF4600_zpsfjwge6c9.jpg

And then, the colors poured in. I began to get so mesmerized by the sunset. Imagine the picture above, with a bunch of oranges and pinks flowing over top of the mountains. Did it look something like this?

DSCF4601_zpsc6lblzup.jpg

Mom say how happy the sunset was making me, and excused me from the table (like I'm 13 again lol) to go up and take some pictures from the open deck. Wow. Wow is all I have to say.

DSCF4605_zpseewmlb8q.jpg

Without the mountains

DSCF4606_zpsvjtuezwx.jpg

Gosh. It was very beautiful out there. The pictures I have are not doing the view the justice that it deserves. This was the best sunset that I've ever seen. Everything happened so perfectly, and I was so glad that I had to see it.

Okay, back to Ordinary Time....

I went back to dinner, and had the Flatbread, Chicken Tenders, and a Chicken Breast, with a side order of Bacon Mac and Cheese. I had a Chocolate Melting Cake as my desert. I had a weird reaction to it in my mouth after eating it, so I said that I wouldn't have anymore this cruise. It didn't taste any different than any other melting cake, it just made my mouth very itchy, and the area around it red and bumpy.

After dinner, I went up to the gym and sauna for about 40 minutes. I finally found the Adventure, waaaaaaay off in the distance. It bothered me all night. After this, I took a quick gym shower, and then did some ship-roaming. Again, I will include all of my ship photos in a separate section for the ship review. But, I will share this photo of the aft pool.

DSCF4607_zpsocq4c03j.jpg

I finally made my way to the open deck to watch the movie. I forget which movie it was, all I know is that it bored me. So I left. At that moment, I happened to bump into Mom, and we decided to attend the Welcome Aboard Show at 10:15 in the theater. It was a god time, many laughs. It was then that I realized what an international passenger group we had. There were people from Washington to California to Florida to Maine, and Oklahoma too. Plus, there were people from England, Canada, China, Argentina, and even Australia, all gathered on this cruise. The band (the RubberBand, a live show band!!) played Uptown Funk, while out singer sang it. Such a good vibe flowing from the theater, I will make sure that I attend the Welcome Aboard show on another cruise, as I have never been to one before.

We proceeded back to our room around 11 to find this.

DSCF4609_zpsdr81dx1l.jpg

Shoutout to GAPearl! In all of her reviews, she always gets a Grilled Cheese from room service before bed. Well, tonight I got a BLT, some chips, and two pickle spears for my nighttime snack. I realized after coming home that she gets a Grilled Cheese, not a BLT, but I had a BLT almost every night, and really came to enjoy them. Thanks GAPearl!!

The BLT took 45 minutes to come the first night, I actually fell asleep, and Mom had to wake me up! I ate the BLT while reading the FunTimes. I tried to read the novel I brought with me, but I wasn't very successful. So around 12:15, I turned in for the night, dreaming about all of the things I got to do on the Sea Day.

Next: Fun Day at Sea