First time NCL cruiser, Jewel to Alaska

Hey NCL folks! It's just about time for my first trip on the Norwegian Jewel, on May 7 to Alaska, out of Seattle. I have been looking forward to this trip for a while and had a few questions. I have done a ton of research and have read some reviews of the ship so I found the answers to most things but still a few things I am not sure of. I was going to buy the unlimited soft drink package but there are two people in my cabin and the NCL site says all pax in the same cabin have to buy the package now. Not such a good deal if the other person in the cabin doesn't really drink a lot of soda. I also assume each pax can bring onboard a case of soda for themselves on embarkation day, or I hope so at least. I really don't want to pay $2 per can of soda for 9 whole days.

We used our price drop to get the limited specialty dining package, which allows for 5 meals in specialty restaurants, and to pay our gratuities and taxes/fees which was a good thing. I am trying to decide which excursions I want to do in a few ports in Alaska, thinking of a seaplane expedition which while expensive, sounds cool. I was in AK back in 2007, so I have seen these towns already and am trying to do something different this time around in each place.

Other than that, I understand the general dining system as my mother has been on NCL and this particular ship in the past and has very good things to say about it, so hopefully it is great. I also believe the stage shows are decent to good and are free of charge, and there is usually some sort of entertainment going on somewhere on board along with good dining choices 24/7. Anyway, this Carnival platinum is looking forward to this voyage, a little change of pace, and who knows, maybe I will love NCL and diversify my cruising choices more in the future.

Jump over to the roll call for your cruise...you will find tons of info about excursions. Many popular excursions may already be sold out...go to your my ncl.com account and see if any excursions are available for booking (you're leaving in 2 weeks). Welcome to NCL! We are heading to AK next year and I have already started researching excursions(can you tell I'm a planner?!). We have never had a problem bringing in soda (we usually bring 2 12 packs). Enjoy your cruise.

We did the Pearl to Alaska last year.:) First cruise and first time to Alaska. Son lives there so we will be back frequently. Not crusing this year as spending the money on some inland Alaska sightseeing.

I brought in bottles of soda. (Dr. Pepper, naturally, I'm a Texan) No problem at all.

We only did two of the excursions. Went to Mendenhall glacier. That one we just found a bus going there from Juneau and took it. We enjoyed our time. You can walk up very close to the glacier and there is also a waterfall. Got some great pics there.

Skagway. We did the train trip to White Horse. We did do it from the ship site. From what I can remember it was really no price difference. We enjoyed it much and again it afforded many great picture opportunities.

Another highlight for us was the day in Glacier Bay, I believe you go to a different glacier area, but should also provide a good time.

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. Look over the reviews on the different excursions for the areas here on CC. That helped me make some decisions on what we would and wouldn't do.

With this itinerary, I highly recommend and find it "necessary" to book the add on Tracy Arm ship tour. Going as early as you are however, there is a risk of a last minute change to Endicott Arm. But the add on tours, are grossly superior to the cruise ship transit. If you remain with the cruise ship- and sail Tracy Arm, you likely will not get anywhere near the South Sawyer Glacier, would be lucky to get a distant partial view.

The railroad out of Skagway does not go to Whitehorse. It goes over the White Pass.

The closest view of Mendenhall Glacier from the Visitor Center, is the 1++ mile Nugget Falls trail. Allow an hour. Shuttle buses are $20pp round trip from the tram parking lot. Kiosks on the sidewalks.

We'll also be going on the May 7 Jewel cruise! And for other posters on this board, it's an atypical Jewel itinerary in that it's 9 days and DOES go to Glacier Bay, but NOT Tracy Arm, but also with much longer than typical times at many of the ports of call.

Unfortunately, what I've found and what some of the people on the roll call have found is that we'll be in Juneau May 10, which is early season, and regular Tracy Arm excursions aren't running yet. You can get Tracy Arm Excursions as charters on May 10th from Juneau, but the ones I've talked to require 20 people and I didn't have time to organize such a charter. Thus, for Juneau, we've opted to rent a car (Juneau Car Rental runs a kiosk at the AJ Dock this year), and our goal is to see something people don't typically see.

Have fun! I'm bringing diet Coke too. I'm not a huge soda drinker, but there's nothing like not being able to have something that makes me want it ;-). So I figure, if nothing else, I'll get some extra workout from taking it on and off board.

Enjoy.

Edited by TATraveler

We sailed on the Jewel 3 years ago to Alaska. I'm not 100% positive that this is still the case, but we were able to buy the soda card onboard for just one of us in the room. My husband drinks more soda than I do, and since there's not diet Dr. Pepper (my drink of choice) available onboard, the soda card wasn't worth it to me. I usually just drink a 12 pack of diet dr. pepper with me, and don't worry about drinking soda the rest of the time.

Have a wonderful trip! We're doing our 4th NCL trip to Alaska later in May, and love both the Jewel and the Pearl, and Alaska is our favorite itinerary.

Jump over to the roll call for your cruise...you will find tons of info about excursions. Many popular excursions may already be sold out...go to your my ncl.com account and see if any excursions are available for booking (you're leaving in 2 weeks). Welcome to NCL! We are heading to AK next year and I have already started researching excursions(can you tell I'm a planner?!). We have never had a problem bringing in soda (we usually bring 2 12 packs). Enjoy your cruise.

I did post once in the roll call, I have to check back there again to see if there's anything new and important there. I did have a few excursions sell out in advance on Carnival in the past so I know it does happen from time to time. I decided to not do the seaplane excursion because it is May and the weather can be real sketchy in that area this early in the season. We did find stuff to do in each port though and our excursions are pretty much all picked out now. I know Carnival only lets you bring on one case per pax, I was wondering if NCL lets you bring one more than that. Anyway, enjoy your cruise and I will surely let you all know how this one goes for me when I get back.

We did the Pearl to Alaska last year.:) First cruise and first time to Alaska. Son lives there so we will be back frequently. Not crusing this year as spending the money on some inland Alaska sightseeing.

I brought in bottles of soda. (Dr. Pepper, naturally, I'm a Texan) No problem at all.

We only did two of the excursions. Went to Mendenhall glacier. That one we just found a bus going there from Juneau and took it. We enjoyed our time. You can walk up very close to the glacier and there is also a waterfall. Got some great pics there.

Skagway. We did the train trip to White Horse. We did do it from the ship site. From what I can remember it was really no price difference. We enjoyed it much and again it afforded many great picture opportunities.

Another highlight for us was the day in Glacier Bay, I believe you go to a different glacier area, but should also provide a good time.

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. Look over the reviews on the different excursions for the areas here on CC. That helped me make some decisions on what we would and wouldn't do.

This will be my second Alaska cruise but the first one was almost 10 years ago, on another line, in the middle of summer so I am expecting this one to be a little bit different. Cruising is my favorite method of vacationing. I just took a little weekend trip to Vegas for example, and last month went to Florida to see my Phillies in spring training, and while they were both fun, nothing beats cruising. LOL at Dr. Pepper. The real stuff also, right? With the real sugar? :) I don't do bottles of soda unless they are going to be consumed quickly as the last little bit is always flat no matter how tight you put the cap back on between pours. Cases of cans or 20 oz. bottles probably wouldn't be too much heavier anyway. It is my plan to go shopping somewhere in Seattle the night before and stock up on all that stuff for carry on, as it is way cheaper than buying stuff on the ship.

I saw Mendenhall Glacier back in 2007 and it was very warm then, but the trail was closed due to bear activity that day. We also went on a city tour bus and a whale watching boat which was cool. It is a wonderful thing to see.

I did the White Pass train/bus thing in Skagway that takes you into the Yukon back then also and that is marvelous. I am hoping that we can find affordable stuff that is different from what we have done in the past in some of these towns. Just don't touch the salmon that swim past the port area in that little stream or it's a $150 fine or something. LOL. Signs posted everywhere.

We went to Tracy Arm last time and it was really neat, I really don't know what to exactly expect in Glacier Bay to be honest. Looking forward to it though.

But whatever I do, it will be fun!

With this itinerary, I highly recommend and find it "necessary" to book the add on Tracy Arm ship tour. Going as early as you are however, there is a risk of a last minute change to Endicott Arm. But the add on tours, are grossly superior to the cruise ship transit. If you remain with the cruise ship- and sail Tracy Arm, you likely will not get anywhere near the South Sawyer Glacier, would be lucky to get a distant partial view.

The railroad out of Skagway does not go to Whitehorse. It goes over the White Pass.

The closest view of Mendenhall Glacier from the Visitor Center, is the 1++ mile Nugget Falls trail. Allow an hour. Shuttle buses are $20pp round trip from the tram parking lot. Kiosks on the sidewalks.

I saw Tracy Arm years ago on a past cruise, as I understand this cruise does not go there but I may be mistaken. You are correct about the White Pass train ride. It goes from town, through the mountains, then you ride a bus into the Yukon and reverse the trip back. Really awesome history lesson too. I have been to the visitor center in Juneau, and the adjacent trail was closed when we went in summer, due to bear activity. We probably were about a mile from the glacier but that's still close enough to see the awesomeness of the thing. I really did want to try to do something else different this time around.

We'll also be going on the May 7 Jewel cruise! And for other posters on this board, it's an atypical Jewel itinerary in that it's 9 days and DOES go to Glacier Bay, but NOT Tracy Arm, but also with much longer than typical times at many of the ports of call.

Unfortunately, what I've found and what some of the people on the roll call have found is that we'll be in Juneau May 10, which is early season, and regular Tracy Arm excursions aren't running yet. You can get Tracy Arm Excursions as charters on May 10th from Juneau, but the ones I've talked to require 20 people and I didn't have time to organize such a charter. Thus, for Juneau, we've opted to rent a car (Juneau Car Rental runs a kiosk at the AJ Dock this year), and our goal is to see something people don't typically see.

Have fun! I'm bringing diet Coke too. I'm not a huge soda drinker, but there's nothing like not being able to have something that makes me want it ;-). So I figure, if nothing else, I'll get some extra workout from taking it on and off board.

Enjoy.

I don't know if we are going to rent a car in Juneau as we have been on a bus tour through most of the main part of the city and outside of the city there is literally nowhere to go but we will find something to do for sure. I am bringing at least a couple cases (one for me and one for the other person in my cabin) since I will probably not buy the softdrink package and I assume most towns in Alaska have places that sell soda so I can always bring more back onboard with me from a port if I run low. Have to have Coke with dinner and with a late night pizza and buffet lunch.

Enjoy! and maybe we will run into each other at some point. I can't wait.

We sailed on the Jewel 3 years ago to Alaska. I'm not 100% positive that this is still the case, but we were able to buy the soda card onboard for just one of us in the room. My husband drinks more soda than I do, and since there's not diet Dr. Pepper (my drink of choice) available onboard, the soda card wasn't worth it to me. I usually just drink a 12 pack of diet dr. pepper with me, and don't worry about drinking soda the rest of the time.

Have a wonderful trip! We're doing our 4th NCL trip to Alaska later in May, and love both the Jewel and the Pearl, and Alaska is our favorite itinerary.

That was my understanding as well, and it has supposedly been that way on all lines, BUT we were looking on the NCL site last week and they say all pax in a cabin now have to buy the soda card. Kind of like with the alcohol package. I assume the jerks who buy one card then share with everyone else who didn't pay in their family are going to ruin it for the rest of us. That is always how it works. Besides, I think they have Pepsi products and while I will drink that if it is the only thing available, I much prefer Coke products and if I bring it on myself, I can control what I have with me.

I do like Alaska, and my mom (who I am cruising with) has been on the Jewel twice and has sailed NCL a bunch of times, raves about the ship, so I am looking very forward to this trip. Have fun on your upcoming cruise as well.

I've heard from other people that once on board you can purchase the soda package for only one person. I'm hoping to do that since we have six in our cabin :)

I thought it was this way also but perhaps in their round of sweeping changes they quietly have changed the policy. I know other lines don't make all pax in a cabin purchase it but perhaps NCL is doing that now. I will look at the site again to see exactly what it says about the plans. That would not be cool if only a few of you want to drink a lot of soda and the rest do but they still have to pay. Kinda like my last cruise from Long Beach. My buddy got the alcohol package but I didn't want it and so it was actually cheaper for us to book separate cabins than for me to pay $200 plus for something I wasn't going to use as all lines make all pax in a cabin buy the adult beverage packages. LOL.

Edited by FlyingCruiserNJ

It has been that you had to buy them for everyone if you bought it in advance but could get them individually on the ship. Not positive if it's still not that way or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk