Pacific Northwest packing question

dansu

For the last few weeks I have been attempting to pack light for a 5 night itinerary between LA and Vancouver. At least when I cruise to the Caribbean, I know it will be hot and I pack accordingly...but the Pacific Northwest...not a clue.

I feel like I have been doing the hokey pokey of packing...I put the jacket in...I take the jacket out!!!

If someone reading this, who has cruised this itinerary can put me out of my misery please. Is it warm enough on the sea days for a swimsuit, do I need a jacket for the evenings or will a light sweater do?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dansu

Edited by dansu

We did this sailing in the fall and spent days at the pool/hot tubs. We also needed a coat at times. I brought a waterproof shell, sweater, jeans, and a couple nicer outfits because it was on HAL but with NCL you won't need those unless you choose to dress up. I live in the PNW and it's been a mixed bag this spring. One day hot and in the 80's, next day cold and in the 50's. We easily packed just one carry on per person and had plenty to wear.

For the last few weeks I have been attempting to pack light for a 5 night itinerary between LA and Vancouver. At least when I cruise to the Caribbean, I know it will be hot and I pack accordingly...but the Pacific Northwest...not a clue.

I feel like I have been doing the hokey pokey of packing...I put the jacket in...I take the jacket out!!!

If someone reading this, who has cruised this itinerary can put me out of my misery please. Is it warm enough on the sea days for a swimsuit, do I need a jacket for the evenings or will a light sweater do?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dansu

I assume your cruise is coming up in the next couple of weeks. Los Angeles may be very warm, especially for someone from Ontario, Canada. With that said, the weather can vary throughout the itinerary from 80+F down to 50F. The nice thing is that you don't have to go outside to go to dinner, so a light sweater will likely be warm enough for going to dinner on the ship. I hope I didn't confuse you more. :confused:

I've done the sailing a few times, both in May and in the fall. On NCL, I pretty much packed jeans, t-shirt/shirts, light sweaters and a windbreaker for times in port, but I don't get very cold. On the ship, I wore jeans in the fall and wore jeans and some shorts in May. Didn't need a jacket in the evenings on the ship, but if you tend to get cold, I'd bring a light sweater. Don't forget an umbrella, since it could rain.

What about the sea days...with the exception of the hot tub...will it be warm enough for swimsuits...

I am traveling with a 24 year old (son)...in one suit case and a carry on. I am trying to pack light - this is coming from a woman who usually packs a separate bag for her cosmetics and hair products...so I want to make sure he is comfortable in the clothes he packs, as we 9 nights away counting both the pre and post cruise.

I realize that weather is very unpredictable...very were 22C (72F) a week ago and tonight they say we make have snow showers over night...

Thanks everyone...I will keep reading as you post

I've done the sailing a few times, both in May and in the fall. On NCL, I pretty much packed jeans, t-shirt/shirts, light sweaters and a windbreaker for times in port, but I don't get very cold. On the ship, I wore jeans in the fall and wore jeans and some shorts in May. Didn't need a jacket in the evenings on the ship, but if you tend to get cold, I'd bring a light sweater. Don't forget an umbrella, since it could rain.

We are spending 2 nights in Vancouver post-cruise...the umbrella is the only thing that I have packed with confidence that it will be needed.

Thanks

Edited by dansu

Pack, mix-n-match in layers, if you take a windbreaker with hoodies, you can probably skip the umbrellas. Alaska gets more rainfall than Seattle, WA and if it's chilly, put on a fleece/vest. Wear your heavier items on the flight & once you are past security & gate agent since FA are notorious these days for enforcing the carry-on rules for Y pax, put them away & unzip that extra nylon folding tote bag. If you need an extra jacket, shops at all the ports sell inexpensive ones - consider it as extra souvenir (DW got one then) as we usually do 22"carry-on only & don't check bags on domestic/N.A. flights - don't need our bags to fly southeast while our flight go northwest.

Please leave the umbrella at home - they just get in the way - and prove that you are a tourist :D

Dressing in layers is highly recommended - jeans, shirt, fleece/sweater, light jacket with a hood. I have one from Columbia Sportswear that folds up into a pocket sized package and the hood rolls into the collar.

On NCL you won't need more than that - as long as the shirt has a collar :D

I would not count on using the pools - hot tubs maybe.

If you are on the Pearl they removed the water slides anyway - the Jewel still has them and the Sun never did :).

Please leave the umbrella at home - they just get in the way - and prove that you are a tourist :D[/quote

I am a tourist...one that likes to stay dry LOL

The day we spend in Victoria and the 2 days in Vancouver are both calling for rain, which really sucks because we are looking forward to visiting the Capilano Bridge; not sure if it is open when it rains and if so it would be a muddy mess...I am obsessed with AccuWeather, and have been for the last two weeks.

California is looking good for next weekend. I will be spending the next few days praying to the sun g-ds that it doesn't change.

Thanks for your advice

Dansu

Edited by dansu

The day we spend in Victoria and the 2 days in Vancouver are both calling for rain, which really sucks because we are looking forward to visiting the Capilano Bridge; not sure if it is open when it rains and if so it would be a muddy mess...I am obsessed with AccuWeather, and have been for the last two weeks.
Capilano runs rain or shine. It will give you the impression of a Coastal rain forest, which the area once once.

Grouse Mountain may not be a good choice if the clouds are low, but the gondola will continue to operate. I check the website chalet webcam to decide if it's worth going up. https://www.grousemountain.com/

For long term planning Accuweather is great. Once in Vancouver....

Edited by xlxo

In the last week, our local high temperature has ranged from a low of 51 to a high of 79 and the low temperature was 35 degrees. Follow the advice of layered clothing since the temperature varies a lot. Avoid bringing a heavy winter coat. Do bring a hat that can protect you from the sun or rain. Most folks in the Pacific Northwest do not use an umbrella since the wind destroys them.

We did a Pacific Coast Cruise in 2013 and experienced sun and warm 70's in San Francisco followed by a cold wet day in Astoria in the mid 50's. Then in Victoria, it was sunny and the temperature was around 80 degrees. Off the west coast, most likely you will be in the marine layer of clouds (fog) and you will need something warm when outside aboard the ship north of San Francisco unless you get lucky and there is an offshore wind pushing the clouds further to the west and warming everything up.

Edited by calex

In the last week, our local high temperature has ranged from a low of 51 to a high of 79 and the low temperature was 35 degrees. Follow the advice of layered clothing since the temperature varies a lot. Avoid bringing a heavy winter coat. Do bring a hat that can protect you from the sun or rain. Most folks in the Pacific Northwest do not use an umbrella since the wind destroys them.

We did a Pacific Coast Cruise in 2013 and experienced sun and warm 70's in San Francisco followed by a cold wet day in Astoria in the mid 50's. Then in Victoria, it was sunny and the temperature was around 80 degrees. Off the west coast, most likely you will be in the marine layer of clouds (fog) and you will need something warm when outside aboard the ship north of San Francisco unless you get lucky and there is an offshore wind pushing the clouds further to the west and warming everything up.

Thank you